Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, how do you guys field judge a Trophy Buck or Bull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, how do you guys field judge a Trophy Buck or Bull?

Okay, how do you guys field judge a Trophy Buck or Bull?

What u do is mesure the length in between the antlers but a good buck useally has nice long G2's and G3's and if you can find a deer with double droptiens.

Comment

Bigbuck14, you must be Whitetail deer hunter, I could tell by your profile photo and your advice, thank you.

Comment

Interesting question. I would also like to know how to score your game.

Comment

Mule deer usually have about 18-20 ear spreads, that is tip to tip when they are looking at you. This is a good measuring stick for width and tine length. Generally when a bucks antlers are beyond the ears they are in the twenties. If you figure that each ear is aobut 7-8 inches in length you can then compare the ear lenth to the tines. It is substancially easier to judge deer when you are familar with the Boone&Crockett scoring system. Two things to note: 1st don't judge mule deer from behind they always look bigger from behind. If you really care about score, look for semmetry, kickers look cool but are deductions.

Comment

Christian Emter, here is what I do, I don't know if it is the best.
            For Mule Deer, I guess that from eartip to eartip at about 22-25 inches for a mature Buck. I would then use the ear length as the measuring stick for the length beyond the eartips. So any buck with antlers past his ears is worth a closer look, mass, height and number of tines points also factor into that equation. The majority of the antler's score will come from the front forks, the G3 and main beams (G4).

Comment

Mr. Emter, for Bull Elk, I would say that the back wale points are a good way to tell, also the length of the brow tines and the sword points. I've read that the length of the tines will play more into the score than the actual mass of the antlers.

Comment

Now days I only hunt Whitetails. Antlers that look tall with long tines will outscore the wide rack with relatively short tines everytime. Thats 'cause you only get one measurement for width. With that said look for a rack as wide or wider than the eartips and if it's a 10 point check the length of the G-4's. most buck's have 1 or 2 inch G-4's If they are longer and the G-1 thru 3's are nice he is a keeper in my opinion. Click my name go to my profile and look at the deer pics. Some have scores. My Pope and Young buck went 130 2/8. Note the G-4's are about 2 inchers.

Comment

I'm sorry, pumakitchen was right, about 20" from eartip to ear tip...

Comment

Agreed with pumakitchen answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad