Clear All

• Quiz

Can you identify this ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kynoch.gif
Views:	157
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	741002

Well, some call African "dangerous game" the "Big Four".
    Lion, rhino, buffalo and elephant.
    Capstick and a few others included the "leopard" and called it the "Big Five".
    So, depending on who you ask, that's a "pen & ink" of Africa's "Big Five".

Comment

I agree with Bubba ! It all depends on what your question really means, but that is about the only thing that comes to mind.

But it also could be answered with....Yeah, it is excellent art work !!
      Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Since the Rhino is sort of a one-off, conservation raffle type hunt now, maybe it should be replaced by the Hippo on dry land.

Comment

That is absolutely the "African Big Five,"

Comment

Kynoch ammunitions home page I believe. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	741032
            Last edited by dewman; 08-03-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I recognize the artwork from some book, cannot remember title. Kiswahili names translate as
              leopard - chui
              rhino - kifaru
              cape buffalo - nyati or mbogo
              elephant - tembo
              lion - simba

tazama! Anakuja!
              look out! He’s coming!
              Last edited by Happy Myles; 08-03-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                Since the Rhino is sort of a one-off, conservation raffle type hunt now, maybe it should be replaced by the Hippo on dry land.
                Never understood why the hippo wasn't included?
                As I understand it, the hippo kills more humans annually than all the "Big Five" in the same time span.
                I think it's listed as the "most dangerous herbivore" on earth.

Comment

It is my understanding crocs and hippos kill the most people, the large majority of which are non hunting local people. Crocs are opportunistic hunters hanging out where animals cross rivers and these same low spots are used by folks come to get water, wash clothes, bathe and socialize. Dugouts often tip over and gathering of shore reeds to build huts and fences is done in same areas. Hippos are cranky and territorial in water. They often venture far from water grazing for food. Their trails make great paths to journey homeword after a night partying. At this time do not get between a hippo and his water. Trophy hunting groups highest deaths are from elephant more than all other hunting ones combined. Leopards account for the most injuries, they are quick and jump from person to person when they are hurt and mad. Equal opportunity maulers

Comment

And the winner is Dewman for identifying the Kynoch logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                      It is my understanding crocs and hippos kill the most people, the large majority of which are non hunting local people. Crocs are opportunistic hunters hanging out where animals cross rivers and these same low spots are used by folks come to get water, wash clothes, bathe and socialize. Dugouts often tip over and gathering of shore reeds to build huts and fences is done in same areas. Hippos are cranky and territorial in water. They often venture far from water grazing for food. Their trails make great paths to journey homeword after a night partying. At this time do not get between a hippo and his water. Trophy hunting groups highest deaths are from elephant more than all other hunting ones combined. Leopards account for the most injuries, they are quick and jump from person to person when they are hurt and mad. Equal opportunity maulers
                      How many croc deaths are missed because nobody saw "Chula" get taken, he simply disappeared.

Comment

Bubba, even with the local river men’s expertise those dugouts, makaro by name, seem pretty unstable with little freeboard. They use them for fishing day and night, travel for the whole family, and i have seen one skinny little boat stacked five feet high and seven feet wide with a load of reeds, and the owner poling along with out a care. I have a hunch few folks can swim. Often a neat skinny dog walking proudly on top. Often on shore they will bucket water into the dugout to help keep hull from cracking. I have seen them sleep in the makoro. Have never, ever seen a fat boatman. Great folks with great attitude.

Comment

Never understood why the hippo wasn't included?
                          Probably because they are typically hunted in water, where they usually sink when shot. Wounded just swim away, which are shot again when they surface.

But get between a Hippo and the water he wishes to reach, and that's not a hunt. That's a situation.

Comment

Well put Amflyer. Most folks do not realize Hippo are nocturnal grazers and many places where they are found hunting at night these days is illegal. So they occasionally get shot for expensive lion bait while resting in rivers and lakes. Kiboko do not make good shoulder mounts either. I cannot imagine a photo of Pappa Hemingway standing under one by his fireplace. Rhino on the other hand are kind of goofy they may snort, stomp, false charge or really charge while you are not even looking for one. In fact, they can be a real bother.
                            Last edited by Happy Myles; 08-03-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

H. Myles/Amflyer
                              My apologies, nearly all my Africa experience comes from Capstick's musings.
                              You both uphold what I read and understood from his writings.
                              The further hippos have to wander from waters edge to "graze", the greater your chances of an ugly encounter.
                              Capstick also wrote that drouth and dry periods kept him on his toes in hippo country because hippos had to wander further and further to feed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad