First moose European mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First moose European mount

We just finished our first moose euro for a client. Helluva project. Moose are probably the most difficult to deal with. Their antlers grow out sideways instead of upward like other deer species. For deer, elk, etc., we can suspend the entire skull in simmering pot but with moose it's not possible. Nose down in the pot (if you can find a pot that big!) and all the skull from bottom of antlers to top of brain bucket is not immersed. Turn it upside down and 3/4 of skull is not immersed. My daughter came up with the idea of cutting notches in sides of a metal garbage can so nose down the skull would drop low enough to put the lid on. That way boiling steam could work on top portion while boiling water is loosening flesh on rest of the skull. I cut notches just low enough so that lid closed and end of nose was suspended a couple of inches from bottom. Any lower and excess heat would disintegrate bone (no doubt what happened to my kudu skull in Africa). Water leaked out through clamps to attach garbage can handles but some high temp silicone took care of that. This skull specimen was the worst! Client skinned it and threw it on top of a shed two years ago. A mummified mess! A shame my daughter didn't take a "before" photo. She said it was too gross! It took a lot of work (for which client was willing to pay extra) but turned out well. I had to engineer a hanger for it. Again, the peculiar shape and extra weight complicated things. Most taxidermists would do the quick and painless method of ordering a plaque to stick the skull on. But the client very much liked the "naked" look of my African euro mounts. Also, I assured him the naked mount would be the most space efficient which is important with big brow tine species. This one is mounted with back of skull and teeth less than half an inch from wall. One antler tip (left in the photo) is just touching the wall. And still the whole affair sticks out in the room.

An interesting rack. Note how the points on top on both sides are bent backwards. The other one he brought in for a cap mount shot almost in the same spot also had a point on top bent back. Clearly there is some critical vitamin deficiency in that area causing soft antler development. Note how the right antler also sags significantly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200714_222337.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	739022
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-15-2020, 04:45 PM.

Is that an Eastern Moose subspecies ? Is that photo on wall of you as a young MP?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
      Is that an Eastern Moose subspecies ? Is that photo on wall of you as a young MP?
      No, this would have to be a Western Moose subspecies. It was shot north of here and near the Manitoba border. I would not think Eastern Moose would be found west of Sudbury. Maybe Sault Ste Marie.

Yes, I took that photo using the timer on my 35mm Ricoh camera a few weeks before discharge in December 1974. I developed it at the Ft Lewis rec center lab. It hangs in my office because in one way or another I owe all my life's many achievements, including my late lovely wife, to the benefits received from time in service to US Army. Diplomas are just out of the picture on the wall to left.

To right is "the wildebeest hide." Not mine unfortunately (but it was supposed to be mine).

Just finished watching a piece from BBC tonight on Eastern Cape. Very bad! Hospitals overrun, staff fleeing, and of course corrupt government in denial (sound familiar?). The images from inside Livingston Hospital were shocking to say the least. Terrible. If I got sick over there now I think I'd throw myself in front of a bull elephant ... after shooting him in the butt. "Hey, I'm over here! Cough, cough." I'd definitely be running away from any ambulance! Mob violence is a very real threat, especially in the towns. Both the police and military are a joke and everyone knows it. I am concerned for my PH and his family. I'll drop him a line tonight.
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-15-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Judging by the toys and tools you're either young and single or been married long enough to accrue them.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
        Last edited by adomanim1; 09-19-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adomanim1 View Post

Judging by the toys and tools you're either young and single or been married long enough to accrue them.
          Obviously if I was in the army during the 1970s I'm not a young man! My wife died in a car accident ten years ago next month. I hunt with a WWII surplus military rifle and a very much used Browning A5 shotgun made in 1961 that I purchased at a gun show six years ago. Don't own an ATV and I drive a 1999 Jimmy with 300K miles on it. Yep, some real fancy toys!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad