Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Have A Best Hunting Friend ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    I have always preferred hunting alone. As a young lad my father and I would high country camp with a couple sourdoughs then split up and maybe bump into each other a time or two during the day, arriving separately back in camp after dark. Hunting was serious business. As I grew older my son and I hunted in the same fashion. His occupation and family prevent him from joining me these days tho we have managed a couple African trips together. Most of my hunting takes long advance planning and financial commitment which in my experience most folks have trouble meeting those responsibilities for some reason. A fellow I have known for years badgered me into including him. Afterwards he said it was the greatest trip of his life but never to invite him again. He was uncomfortable, frightened, and worried we would not make it home. So it is easier, More enjoyable if I go it alone. Recent years my wife, a non hunter, goes with me. Once in camp she has her own guide and support staff and vehicle equal to mine and goes her own way bird watching and sight seeing. We are together in campi at night and she gets me and my deafness through airports and customs. We have been married 55 years.
    I totally understand and pretty much am a loner too when it come to hunting. I prefer the solitude and being able to set my own pace / timetable.

    My wife and I often split up while on vacation. For instance, on one cruise to the Bahamas, she went on a parasailing adventure while I joined a guided nature hike. On another trip to St. Croix, she lounged on the beach while I went SCUBA diving at the reef. On the rare occasions when we hunt together, we sometimes separate if one has an animal down so I can fetch the game cart from the vehicle or canoe. We both prefer our private space and she understands my need to spend most of my hunts alone.

    Comment


    • #17
      I have 8 friends I enjoy hunting with.
      None of them are family.
      Only one of them is a dedicated rifle hunter.
      The rest use a variety of handguns the majority of the time.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

        I totally understand and pretty much am a loner too when it come to hunting. I prefer the solitude and being able to set my own pace / timetable.

        My wife and I often split up while on vacation. For instance, on one cruise to the Bahamas, she went on a parasailing adventure while I joined a guided nature hike. On another trip to St. Croix, she lounged on the beach while I went SCUBA diving at the reef. On the rare occasions when we hunt together, we sometimes separate if one has an animal down so I can fetch the game cart from the vehicle or canoe. We both prefer our private space and she understands my need to spend most of my hunts alone.
        I also "prefer the solitude and being able to set my own pace/timetable." I usually don't eat during the day when bird hunting and only a sandwich on the trail when stalking big game. The merry bands I have hunted with in the past were big on chowing down and would get upset if I wasn't at the table on time. The rule at my house was always no one should call search and rescue until I was two days overdue. Many times I was more than six hours late and once more than a day overdue. Hunting with my brother now has required some adjustment. His diabetes and arthritis require that I be more restricted and stick to a schedule. I don't mind. We often (almost always) split up. Cell coverage in that country has improved a lot so it is easy for us to stay in contact. Anyway, he only hunts with me for deer. I still have most of six weeks in Montana to range the plains alone with the dogs for birds.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          I've only had two that could stand me...and vice versa.
          One gone, one still hunting with me


          Click image for larger version  Name:	130_3013.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	737599Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	703.5 KB ID:	737598
          Last edited by Amflyer; 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
            I've only had two that could stand me...and vice versa.
            One gone, one still hunting with me
            I've had seven of those four-legged hunting partners. Two still tagging along although I'm sure Ellie will be my last. Dogs are great to hunt with. They don't have a schedule or significant other to worry about. They want to stay in the field as long as I want to. Never argue. Don't snore at night. Don't complain about the food. Fun to drink with (some of the better [lower] class Montana bars let dogs and even horses inside). Only down side is their farts can be pretty raunchy. And of course they're always dying on me. That is the hard part. But no pain, no gain.
            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              My best hunting buddy is still my Dad. This year is our first trip to Montana. We are looking forward to a new hunt.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by pawoods79 View Post
                My best hunting buddy is still my Dad. This year is our first trip to Montana. We are looking forward to a new hunt.
                Good for you pawoods, hope you have a wonderful hunt. What will you be hunting ? Big game or birds ? Makes no difference, the important factor is that it is with your father ! Good luck, stay safe and in good health !

                Comment


                • #23
                  Over my several years of hunting, it would be very difficult to pick a ‘best hunt’, at the time, they were all good. But the hunt that I will certainly remember, even when my mind is worse than now and I am drooling into my dinner plate, is my first bull elk with a bow ! On the long walk back to camp, I meet up with one of our other hunters. I was so darn excited, I could not even issue a word saying I had killed an elk. Never before or since has that inability to talk for several minutes ever happened !
                  EDIT: my mistake, I took this as best hunt, not best hunting friend ! Comes with age, no doubt !!
                  Last edited by bowhunter75richard; Today, 05:30 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by pawoods79 View Post
                    My best hunting buddy is still my Dad. This year is our first trip to Montana. We are looking forward to a new hunt.
                    Where in the state will you be headed? What will you be hunting? I will be back "home" in Montana again this fall ... hopefully. My resident brother and I go for deer together but I have an elk tag to fill for a change. I filled a lot of them there when I was a young man. Apparently it is a done deal this year if I can just get back across the border. My brother has a couple hundred head tied up for me. On public land no less. They saw 180 elk during first three days of season last year. This will be shooting an elk, not really hunting. But it will be nice to do it again with my brother. Probably our last chance as he is nearly seventy and I'm not far behind.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

                      Good for you pawoods, hope you have a wonderful hunt. What will you be hunting ? Big game or birds ? Makes no difference, the important factor is that it is with your father ! Good luck, stay safe and in good health !
                      We will be hunting elk and deer. You are right makes no difference of game when given the opportunity to be hunting with Dad. Thank you and happy hunting!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                        Where in the state will you be headed? What will you be hunting? I will be back "home" in Montana again this fall ... hopefully. My resident brother and I go for deer together but I have an elk tag to fill for a change. I filled a lot of them there when I was a young man. Apparently it is a done deal this year if I can just get back across the border. My brother has a couple hundred head tied up for me. On public land no less. They saw 180 elk during first three days of season last year. This will be shooting an elk, not really hunting. But it will be nice to do it again with my brother. Probably our last chance as he is nearly seventy and I'm not far behind.
                        We are going to be hunting public land in region 4 for elk and deer. Good luck to you and would like hear how your season turns out.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by pawoods79 View Post

                          We are going to be hunting public land in region 4 for elk and deer. Good luck to you and would like hear how your season turns out.
                          Do not know where region 4 is, but did hunt just a few miles south of Montana in California Park just north of Hayden Col., a few years back with many elk seen. There were 3 of us bowhunting, 3 bulls taken. I envy your trip, maybe you need a good bugler ??

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

                            Do not know where region 4 is, but did hunt just a few miles south of Montana in California Park just north of Hayden Col., a few years back with many elk seen. There were 3 of us bowhunting, 3 bulls taken. I envy your trip, maybe you need a good bugler ??
                            Colorado is more than a few miles south of Montana. I guess you were speaking tongue in cheek? I never bugled a bull. Usually hunted too late for that though a couple of times I had them scream at me. I usually tracked elk and moose in snow.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by pawoods79 View Post

                              We are going to be hunting public land in region 4 for elk and deer. Good luck to you and would like hear how your season turns out.
                              In the old days my horse camp was just over the Continental Divide in Region One. Never shot an elk out of that camp but did take thirteen in that district over thirteen years. I return to hunt Region Four and Region Six every fall for birds and deer. This year I have an elk tag and will be going back to Region One to hunt them with my brother. Well, hopefully I will be going back. Things are not looking good south of the border. Though I am still US citizen, I'm still not allowed to drive back. Could fly back (go figure!) but dogs can't go in cargo that late. I presume you will be in southwest part of Region Four. Attached are deer for last three years.

                              Edit: For some reason the captions I placed on images are all messed up when displayed. Deer left to right should be 2019, 2018, 2017. Elk are 1980 and 1971.
                              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 03:49 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                                Colorado is more than a few miles south of Montana. I guess you were speaking tongue in cheek? I never bugled a bull. Usually hunted too late for that though a couple of times I had them scream at me. I usually tracked elk and moose in snow.
                                You are most correct OHH, was thinking Wyoming, have no idea where I took a wrong turn. So my post probably left pawoods in the ‘woods’ so to speak !

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                                  by rock rat
                                  OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

                                  "​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think...
                                  Today, 09:35 PM
                                • Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                                  by rock rat
                                  A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

                                  I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I...
                                  07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
                                • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                  by rock rat
                                  CRM what you say makes a lot of sense, and the number of tests has doubled in 21 days as have the number of people testing positive. There's one more...
                                  Today, 09:26 PM
                                • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                                  06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                                • Reply to Either Way...
                                  by fitch270
                                  We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer....
                                  Today, 09:17 PM

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X