• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Have A Best Hunting Friend ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	carroll 69.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	736348 I have a couple I would rather hunt with more than others. One is very knowledgeable about game as he studied at the Cornell Univ Vet School before changing directions and becoming a Dentist. Another, we started school together and except for service have hunted together every year in NY Catskills and Adirondacks since we started hunting. Surprisingly, one I like to hunt with is my Sister. She is as good or better a hunter than any other guy I know. We always have a good time and usually are successful. During the '60's she was raising guard dogs so we got a bear every so often. She never complained about the weather or anything else and most time hunted to the end of legal light.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-15-2020, 03:29 PM.

Sure, had several friends I hunted with.
    Most are gone. Very few left.

Comment

I've have or had 3 brothers, 3 uncles, a father, 1 daughter ( all 3 daughters shoot however) 2 grandpas, and 5 nephews & nieces who hunt(hunted) as well as cousins, friends in Colorado, Michigan, South Dakota, Kentucky, Illinois, & Tennessee as well as here in Missouri who would be glad to have me show up to hunt. My brother and his boy are my main hunting partners now and 2 fellas I dove hunt with for the last several years. Sadly my boy lives in L.A. and golfing is now his thing. It is what it is.

Comment

I wish my best friend liked hunting. However, he's more interested in chasing the two-legged game. He'll be in major trouble if his wife ever catches him.
        Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

I might have mentioned him before......

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            I might have mentioned him before......
            No.
            Not at all.
            Who? LOL!

Comment

That would be my brother. We hunt deer together a week or so every fall. Been doing it with him since I first started hunting.

Comment

Nice photos, Honk.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  I've have or had 3 brothers, 3 uncles, a father, 1 daughter ( all 3 daughters shoot however) 2 grandpas, and 5 nephews & nieces who hunt(hunted) as well as cousins, friends in Colorado, Michigan, South Dakota, Kentucky, Illinois, & Tennessee as well as here in Missouri who would be glad to have me show up to hunt. My brother and his boy are my main hunting partners now and 2 fellas I dove hunt with for the last several years. Sadly my boy lives in L.A. and golfing is now his thing. It is what it is.
                  So you have 15+ best hunting friends ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

So you have 15+ best hunting friends ?
                    O.k. See your point. My younger brother. But he works at a Riceland so from August till near the end of October (harvest) he is unavailable so I travel elsewhere and hunt with others. Different hunts mean different friends. For example early squirrel I have 4 fellas I always say yes to a hunt, or fish.

Comment

Nope it’s always been a solitary thing for me since my father wasn’t around. And my step dad doesn’t hunt. Hunted with my wifes uncle for several years until we had a falling out he was nuts god rest his soul. When threatened to shoot me I thought it best I kept my distance my temper was not as even as it is now. I hopefully have three hunting buddies coming up in the next few years. The two oldest are ready to go the hunt club this year.

Comment

My wife has recently taken up deer hunting. She enjoys sitting in a ground blind watching deer and has two bucks to her credit. It would be dangerous for me to say I want to hunt with anyone else. LOL. Otherwise I am lucky to have two sons who hunt as much as I do.

Edit: Tonight we took the buggy to the top of the hill and shared a bottle of wine while scouting deer coming into the field.
                        Last edited by buckhunter; 06-16-2020, 12:19 AM.

Comment

My deer hunting partner passed away on the day of our first deer hunt last year. What a shock! I haven't been too enthusiastic to hunt since as I miss his wit, his knowledge of deer and his shared understanding of our previous adventures. I have three brothers who are my absolute best buddies since the time we were kids but I only get to hunt with them a few days a year since they live two days away.

Comment

I have always preferred hunting alone. As a young lad my father and I would high country camp with a couple sourdoughs then split up and maybe bump into each other a time or two during the day, arriving separately back in camp after dark. Hunting was serious business. As I grew older my son and I hunted in the same fashion. His occupation and family prevent him from joining me these days tho we have managed a couple African trips together. Most of my hunting takes long advance planning and financial commitment which in my experience most folks have trouble meeting those responsibilities for some reason. A fellow I have known for years badgered me into including him. Afterwards he said it was the greatest trip of his life but never to invite him again. He was uncomfortable, frightened, and worried we would not make it home. So it is easier, More enjoyable if I go it alone. Recent years my wife, a non hunter, goes with me. Once in camp she has her own guide and support staff and vehicle equal to mine and goes her own way bird watching and sight seeing. We are together in campi at night and she gets me and my deafness through airports and customs. We have been married 55 years.
                            Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-16-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

My goose hunting buddy Randall and I hunt almost every week from October thru January and elk hunt in Colorado every other year. Lance and I deer and elk hunt every year for the past 15 years.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad