No announcement yet.

Different methods of trophy measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just be sensitive to the fact that most guides and PH’s around the world get upset with clients who dash up to an animal whipping out a measuring tape as soon as the hapless critter hits the ground.

Comment

A while back, some mathematician determined that none of the current typical scoring methods allotted sufficient credit for antler volume, but were over-weighted for antler length.
      Last edited by 99explorer; 05-21-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Yes Honk, I'm aware of all that. It's not like I spend big buck$ hunting big bucks.
        Would I like a "book" head? Well of course! The current Ok state record came out of the next county west in the Red River bottom.
        I hunt the Red River bottom.
        A "trophy" head isn't an "all consuming" goal for me.
        I'm not passing on a nice 120/130 buck hoping that the next deer that shows is a "Booner".

The landowner who let's me hunt the "Red" says he has seen some dandy bucks down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
          Just be sensitive to the fact that most guides and PH’s around the world get upset with clients who dash up to an animal whipping out a measuring tape as soon as the hapless critter hits the ground.
          Apparently measurements aren't that important to my African PH and outfitter. My partner shot a record class bushbuck and one of the other guests shot an outstanding impala but no one said anything about taping those trophies on the ground or at the processing shed. Gary measured his at home a couple of months ago and as far as I know Adrian still hasn't had the impala measured. I am surprised the taxidermist in Africa didn't offer to do unofficial measurements. It only takes a couple of minutes. I checked their brochure and they don't offer that service.

I'm thinking that becoming an official measurer could be good for business. Though measurers are forbidden from charging to do a measurement, just having a couple of racks on the trophy room wall with official certificates might encourage those who think they have shot something special to come here for a measurement and their taxidermy work.

Comment

Becoming a "certified measurer" doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Disgruntled hunters who just know "their" head is book worthy. (it isn't!)
            Irritated customers who "know" you measured wrong. (you didn't!)

It may throw some work your daughters way, but it is also a sure way to lose some too.

Worked with a guy who studied under Joe Palermo in Bryan, Texas and won several awards for his work.
            Problem was, he wouldn't get up off his dead end to do the work. Said he couldn't do taxidermy work for unless he was "in the mood"! Which was seldom, if ever.
            When he got fired at the shop, he probably had ten to fifteen thousand in unfinished taxidermy work in the back.
            They've probably forgotten about them by now.
            If a known moneybags came in, he got his head back in weeks.
            Joe Schmoe comes in with a so-so buck, he would take his deposit and the guy may be 3 or 4 years getting his mount, if ever.
            It's been over 40 years and I bet there are hunters that still haven't seen their mount.

I quit having heads mounted when the taxidermist told me turnaround on my mount was almost two years unless I cared to kick in another Benjamin or two. He did fantastic work, but I didn't appreciate being mooched.

Honk, from what you've said, your daughter turns work out pretty quickly.
            That alone will probably bring you more work than measuring trophies.

Comment

I wonder if the kid will ever get his mule deer scored. A small part of me would like to know but the fact is CD2 has the right idea. That mount represents a heck of a lot more than just inches of bone.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                I wonder if the kid will ever get his mule deer scored. A small part of me would like to know but the fact is CD2 has the right idea. That mount represents a heck of a lot more than just inches of bone.
                It certainly does.
                I understand there are some "wildlife" shows, similar to DSC and SCI that have an official "scoring booth" and they will score your trophy "on the spot".

Comment

I’ve got two good deer by most standards. Both of them free range with a less quarter acre food plot on less than 80 acres. Both of them have story, both times I wasn’t paying attention. And good marksmanship helped me tremendously. Anyways neither is book material but bigger than most guys ever see let alone shot. So I feel blessed. Some have given me a hard time for not measuring the big one but when I tell them the antlers fit around me I’m 6 foot tall and 255 pounds it tends to shit them up. But if it’s what get your motor running for hunting then do it.

Comment

Bubba: I'm not too worried about troublesome customers. The bone collector thing isn't real big up here. Someone doesn't like the score, they're welcome to go somewhere else for a second opinion. We've had two customers' whitetails that were close. I gave them unofficial sheets which both thought was nice but not really important to them.

I think most folks are curious about how their racks compare to what's recognized (albeit arbitrarily) as the standard for an exceptional trophy. Not necessarily a bragging rights motivation. Just curious. Also many are curious, as I was, about how the horns are measured and the reasoning.
                    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      When I finally make it out there I'll score it for him. It just adds a little more to the story. "Yeah, I remember when a goofy old friend of your grandpa's came down from Canada and measured that buck for me. Careful! Don't touch the horns without gloves. I heard liberalism is very contagious!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I think most folks are curious about how their racks compare to what's recognized (albeit arbitrarily) as the standard for an exceptional trophy. Not necessarily a bragging rights motivation. Just curious. Also many are curious, as I was, about how the horns are measured and the reasoning.
                        This is where I’m at, the kid hasn’t acted like he cares in the slightest.

We’ll plan on next year, maybe the third try will be the charm. No worry on liberalism, we’re in NY so have plenty of exposure. 😎

Comment

I don't get book envy or worry about it.
                          I have shot a couple of book animals, with bow, handgun, and rifle.
                          All three were a surprise...I wasn't expecting it.
                          I am content taking a good representative of the species.
                          One of my favorite kills was a cow elk, because of the circumstances.
                          I like hunting and shooting!

Comment

I have had deer mounted. Then I killed a decent one and the others looked small. So I sold em. got rid of a bunch of skull caps too. My first turkey fan mount....gone.

Dont miss em.

Have two euros....a small 8 shot w my dads Python, and the one from last yr

Theres a busted tine 8 that maybe went 120" if not busted.....they br rattlin antlers now....mostly decoration hung on a peg.

There are five or six 100-115" skull caps on shelves and a 130" on the mantle.

I like em. None make any book
                            They just look nice to me and are small enough to have around without them being in the way.

The 131" did get me an arse chewing by the ol lady as he had a very cool greyish color and was proly the prettiest cape I ever brought home. She wanted him shoulder mounted.

Still calls me a dumbass for skull capping it LOL

Comment

I thought about taking my caps and putting them on Mountain Mike forms. But i scraped em so well w knife they look good, and are cut square.

Not gonna reduce to fit some mount.

I just leave em.

FWIW my ol lady does not like the bleached or painted euro mounts, prefers natural color

I do too

Comment

I did put my best deer in the state record book. My buds dad is in the book. An old friend of my dads that took me fishing when younger is in it ( long since passed ). Know several other people w deer in the state book.

Bought the latest copy....as my hunting bud got his in.

Pop a beer and flip through a few counties, look for some people that I used to know. Most gone now.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                                  by Happy Myles
                                  Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                                  Today, 01:51 PM
                                • Wildebeest rug
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                                  06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
                                • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  "at what point is it quenched?"
                                  When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                  Today, 01:35 PM
                                • Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                  06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                                • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                  Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X