Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cartridges have you killed big game with (Hogs too)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Otter kill 'em dead!
    LOL well it's got the best record of bang-flops of all my rifles. I might have to considered a .22hornet or other centerfire .22cal tackdriver and start taking them in the back of the head. I just can't bring myself to do it though(anymore). I'm sure if I did, some CO would come and accuse me of trying to "Destroy the identity of game or evidence of the sex of game while in the field"

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

Agreed. Probably will go back to hunting deer with my .280 though what could it hurt?
    Otter kill 'em dead!

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Sometimes, weird stuff just happens. It's nature.
    Agreed. Probably will go back to hunting deer with my .280 though what could it hurt?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

That is a bit strange. Will make you question yourself. The deer I hit, I know I hit because I saw blood in the snow and when he was running, before he got to the ledge for cover, and because up close and personal, I saw the fur part. Other than him bolting and potentially me turning him away from me, I don't know that he would have showed signs of being hit.

That being said, with this newest development, my .280Rem goes back to being my only rifle that has always delivered "bang-flops". I agree with prioritizing human kills. To me an onthespotdrop / bangflop must deliver that. Plus, I do hunt in some miserable places where tracking can be difficult.
    I've had many "bang-flops".
    I've also more than one deer appear totally untouched, leaving me to question my marksmanship, my rifle and my ammo.
    Not being one to just walk away, I check for hair and/or blood EVERY time, even if I can see the dead deer.
    Sometimes, weird stuff just happens. It's nature.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied

That is a bit strange. Will make you question yourself. The deer I hit, I know I hit because I saw blood in the snow and when he was running, before he got to the ledge for cover, and because up close and personal, I saw the fur part. Other than him bolting and potentially me turning him away from me, I don't know that he would have showed signs of being hit.

That being said, with this newest development, my .280Rem goes back to being my only rifle that has always delivered "bang-flops". I agree with prioritizing human kills. To me an onthespotdrop / bangflop must deliver that. Plus, I do hunt in some miserable places where tracking can be difficult.
    Usually I can hear a good hit but both of those deer were close range. Then the sound of impact is often disguised by gun's report. A couple years later I tried 165 Core-Lok again. Hit a forked horn in the head and bullet ricochet hit his brother in the boiler room. I had to shoot the first one a second time as it was up and going again. That bullet essentially ruined both front quarters. I gave the rest of the box away. Come to think of it, that's the last time I hunted Secret Mountain, 1985. Took a ton of animals off it.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-11-2020, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Yes, but what I forgot to mention was neither animal gave any indication it was hit with the first shot. That is unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied

You know OH. I had something weird happen to me this last season. I had to shoot a deer twice. I'm going to post the story over where I replied to bubba, and put up some pictures, but it happens. I double lunged him with a .300wm at about 150yds. He ran up the hillside right at me!!!
    Yes, but what I forgot to mention was neither animal gave any indication it was hit with the first shot. That is unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied

David Petzal seems to disagree ... but I don't. His blog/article on best deer cartridge made it clear he does not prefer heavier bullets. He claimed the first deer he shot way back when with 180 grain 30-06 ran off 100 yards. I have to wonder if maybe that was a gut shot? I killed a boxcar load of whitetail and muleys over the last half century and almost all with 180 gr 30-06. Only one went further than fifty yards and most fell over on the spot. I recall one mule deer doe in 1970 that was a good 300 yards and everything else was a hundred yards or less. She dropped in her tracks. Only one deer, a 5x5 whitetail (the above exception), almost was lost. Happened to find him dead while coming down the mountain with a muley doe on my back. Both were shot with 165 gr Core-Lokt. The buck was pure gut shot (I believe the only pure gut shot animal in my career) and left no blood. The doe took two in the boiler room at close range. Not impressed with the lighter bullets! And I was definitely not impressed with the bloodshot mess when skin came off. Went back to 180 gr reloads. Needed my head examined for having 165 gr loaded in elk country anyway. As I've said many times, a clean kill (i.e. no excessive bloodshot) is much more important to me than bang-flop. But of course I don't hunt country with bramble thickets that can instantly hide a deer carcass (and never will) and I am a grade (or two) above average when it comes to tracking, blood trail or not.
    You know OH. I had something weird happen to me this last season. I had to shoot a deer twice. I'm going to post the story over where I replied to bubba, and put up some pictures, but it happens. I double lunged him with a .300wm at about 150yds. He ran up the hillside right at me!!!

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    I count Whitetail as big game even though in a lot of cases they're probably closer to varmints. At least these big northern ones are big. Haven't gone after hog yet. but anything on this list I've dropped deer with. Might be forgeting a few.

.243win
    .25-06
    6.8spc
    .270win
    7mm-08
    .280Rem
    .303brit
    .308win
    .30-06
    .300wm
    .35Rem
    .35Whelen
    .338wm

20Gauge slugs
    12gauge slugs

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied

Yes, it did look like a revolver. That "one shot" comment confused me.
    Sorry about that.
    I was not trying to confuse anyone.
    The point I was trying to make that even at 130 yards with a revolver, it only took one to cleanly kill that javelina.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernie View Post
    The grouping at 500 yards was 6 shots/one cylinder.
    https://youtu.be/ZcyPO0nPAf0
    Yes, it did look like a revolver. That "one shot" comment confused me.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    The grouping at 500 yards was 6 shots/one cylinder full.
    https://youtu.be/ZcyPO0nPAf0
    Last edited by Ernie; 03-04-2020, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    Goofing around at 100 yards some time ago with my FR.
    First video is SA and the second 6-shots are double action.
    https://youtu.be/n4ofPYuv2_E
    https://youtu.be/9TdlFdkWgZk

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    For Example a 6mm Creedmoor XP-100.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    My center-grip XP-100's are all single-shots.
    A Ruger GP-100 has a cylinder (6 shot).
    Revolver weighs less, has an external trigger, longer locktime, heavier trigger, weaker action, etc.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
    by Buckshott00
    "at what point is it quenched?"
    When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
    Today, 01:35 PM
  • Jackbooted Thugs
    by Buckshott00
    I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
    06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
    by Buckshott00
    We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
    Today, 01:27 PM
    by Buckshott00
    Most of the people across the country are non-violent. In Michigan I watched people get right in the face and scream at MSP. The police restrained themselves...
    Today, 01:19 PM
  • Reply to I'm just going to leave this here...
    by Buckshott00
    What's being nasty? Truth hurts eh?...
    Today, 01:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X