Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cartridges have you killed big game with (Hogs too)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Yes, but what I forgot to mention was neither animal gave any indication it was hit with the first shot. That is unacceptable.
    That is a bit strange. Will make you question yourself. The deer I hit, I know I hit because I saw blood in the snow and when he was running, before he got to the ledge for cover, and because up close and personal, I saw the fur part. Other than him bolting and potentially me turning him away from me, I don't know that he would have showed signs of being hit.

That being said, with this newest development, my .280Rem goes back to being my only rifle that has always delivered "bang-flops". I agree with prioritizing human kills. To me an onthespotdrop / bangflop must deliver that. Plus, I do hunt in some miserable places where tracking can be difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

That is a bit strange. Will make you question yourself. The deer I hit, I know I hit because I saw blood in the snow and when he was running, before he got to the ledge for cover, and because up close and personal, I saw the fur part. Other than him bolting and potentially me turning him away from me, I don't know that he would have showed signs of being hit.

That being said, with this newest development, my .280Rem goes back to being my only rifle that has always delivered "bang-flops". I agree with prioritizing human kills. To me an onthespotdrop / bangflop must deliver that. Plus, I do hunt in some miserable places where tracking can be difficult.
      Usually I can hear a good hit but both of those deer were close range. Then the sound of impact is often disguised by gun's report. A couple years later I tried 165 Core-Lok again. Hit a forked horn in the head and bullet ricochet hit his brother in the boiler room. I had to shoot the first one a second time as it was up and going again. That bullet essentially ruined both front quarters. I gave the rest of the box away. Come to think of it, that's the last time I hunted Secret Mountain, 1985. Took a ton of animals off it.
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-11-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I've had many "bang-flops".
        I've also more than one deer appear totally untouched, leaving me to question my marksmanship, my rifle and my ammo.
        Not being one to just walk away, I check for hair and/or blood EVERY time, even if I can see the dead deer.
        Sometimes, weird stuff just happens. It's nature.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Sometimes, weird stuff just happens. It's nature.
          Agreed. Probably will go back to hunting deer with my .280 though what could it hurt?

Comment

Agreed. Probably will go back to hunting deer with my .280 though what could it hurt?
            Otter kill 'em dead!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Otter kill 'em dead!
              LOL well it's got the best record of bang-flops of all my rifles. I might have to considered a .22hornet or other centerfire .22cal tackdriver and start taking them in the back of the head. I just can't bring myself to do it though(anymore). I'm sure if I did, some CO would come and accuse me of trying to "Destroy the identity of game or evidence of the sex of game while in the field"

Comment

Soon far I’ve taken deer and hogs with .250 Savage, .257 Wby Mag, .270, .30-06, .308, .35 Whelen, .338 Fed, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 12Ga, and 20 Ga

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                  This is most of them.
                  I have been hunting big game since 1986...Not nearly as long as some of you.

Rifle: 223 Remington
                  Specialty Pistol: 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua
                  Specialty Pistol: 6mm Creedmoor
                  Specialty Pistol: 243 Winchester
                  Specialty Pistol: 6-284
                  Specialty Pistol: 25 Creedmoor
                  Rifle: 257 Roberts AI
                  Specialty Pistol: 6.5 TCU
                  Rifle and Specialty Pistol: 6.5x47 Lapua
                  Specialty Pistol: 260 Rem
                  Specialty Pistol: 6.5-284
                  Specialty Pistol: 6.5 Leopard
                  Specialty Pistol: 6.5 Creedmoor
                  Specialty Pistol: 6.5 PRC
                  Specialty Pistol: 7mm TCU
                  Specialty Pistol: 7mm-08
                  Specialty Pistol: 284 Win
                  Specialty Pistol: 7mm SAUM/Short Action Ultra Mag
                  Specialty Pistol 7mm WSM
                  Rifle: 7mm Rem Mag
                  Specialty Pistol: 7mm Rem Mag AI
                  Specialty Pistol: 7mm Dakota
                  Specialty Pistol: 7.82 Patriot
                  Rifle and Specialty Pistol: 308 Win
                  Rifle: 338 Win Mag
                  Rifle: 338 Lapua
                  Revolver: 44 Magnum
                  Revolver: 357 Magnum
                  Revolver: 454 Casull
                  That is a pretty long list. What 3 or 4 cartridges could you get by with for big game, small game, close range for both and long range for both ? Just curious what your experience is with each cartridges you pick. BTW, is there a spot that you think needs another cartridge without duplicating what exists ?

Ernie, With so many calibers how do you keep them organized ? Does all your brass have the proper head stamp ? Do you have calibers that can accidentally be interchanged ?
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-12-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Deer are pretty easy to kill.
                    The long range cartridges, works fine for short range as well. When you get into really large deer, or when you get in to an elk class animal, I prefer to step up in caliber from 22 or 6mm.
                    there’s quite a bit of duplication in my list. That does not bother me. I enjoy a variety. It makes it fun.
                    some of these cartridges I have not used for a long time.
                    I’ve never hunted dangerous game.
                    Other than mine water buck (800 pounds in the hoof, My primary large big game animal is elk.

Comment

Pretty boring list for me:

20 gauge slug
                      arrow
                      .30-06
                      7mm-08
                      .50 cal muzzleloader

Comment

Jimbo,
                        My Axis buck (bigger deer) I killed with a 25 Creed Pachmayr Dominator pistol-Animal went down in 40 yards. Used a Nosler Accubond bullet. Around 150 yards.
                        Red Stag: I used the guides gun a 338 Lapua...which was more than needed, but the distance was 624 yards-He went down in 15-20 yards.
                        Water buck (800 pounds) went 10 yards or so. 7mm Dakota XP-100 and the shot was under 150 yards.
                        All guns for elk are XP-100's, with the exception of the 260 Remington MOA Maximum pistol.
                        Elk: cow and bull have been killed with a 260 Remington (2), 7.82 Patriot (2), 7mm Dakota (5), and the 284 Winchester (8). Elk kills run from 100ish yards to just under 700 yards
                        A reference point.
                        A 284 Winchester XP-100 has the approximate performance level of what a 7mm-08 rifle would.
                        I lose 150 feet per second to around 250 feet per second when shooting the same cartridge in a specialty pistol.
                        Of course my biggest bull was an archery kill on public land with an old bow from the early 90's. Double lunged him and he went about 60 yards. A bow does it through penetration and cutting.

XP-100's I would use for elk now:
                        I have a 26 Nosler XP-100, and I would use that for elk for sure.
                        But a soon to be be built 280 Improved (lighter contour barrel).
                        Also have a 6.5-284 XP-100 with a lighter barrel.
                        284 Winchester XP in a lighter contour barrel
                        7mm Dakota XP-100 ( heavy for mountain use)
                        Rear grip specialty pistol in 300 RUM (heavy for mountain use).

If weight had a factor in choosing, and I could only choose one from what I had, and the Big Horn or the Rocky's mountains were a reality. I would go with the 280 AI, because of the light contour barrel. I know I will have performance above a 284 Winchester in a light weight package.

If weight was not a issue, I would pick the 7mm Dakota all day long. It does everything I want at short or LR. Once the throat on this is cooked, I will be getting a lighter contour barrel for it.

Not all of my ammo is correctly headstamped because of some wildcats. I do mark my ammo boxes well. This is not a problem for me.

If I narrowed all of my hunting down to say four cartridges that would include short and LR for deer and elk, I would pick cartridges that excel at LR, but they obviously work at shorter ranges just fine. These are all center-grip XP-100's
                        25 PRC, 26 Nosler, 280 AI, and 7mm Dakota.
                        I do not have dangerous game in this discussion-I have never hunted dangerous game.

If I narrowed my revolver cartridges down to two, it would be 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum.
                        The fun part is, I don't have to narrow it down
                        Last edited by Ernie; 06-13-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Happy my friend... do you have trouble making a decision? Just kidding... that list will be tough to beat.

Comment

No problem Dakota and I am indeed used to making decisions. I have always been a gun nut, so began experimenting with different calibers from an early age. As my hunting and shooting experience grew I realized my results sometimes differed from gun and hunting writers. My successes in the investment world allows me the luxury of hunting extensively around the world. Several successful gun writers say I hunt Africa more than anyone they know. So I experiment with firearms. I have no other pastimes. I once mentioned in these pages I was envious of gun writers. Dave Petzal indicated I should not be as I I would not like the cut in pay nor the loss of hunting time. I actually forgot a few rifles in my earlier post but won’t bother you with them. I have been a very lucky person. Hunting adventures in tough exotic country is my way of life. Kindest Regards
                            Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-16-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

.22Long Rifle.
                              30-30 win.
                              20 gauge slug
                              12 gauge slug
                              270 Winchester
                              25-06 Remington
                              .243 Winchester
                              .50 T/C renegade
                              ​​​​.50 T/C black diamond
                              forgot to add 12 gauge 2 3/4 #4 shot two hogs at point blank range they walked up me I was squirrel hunting. It also qualifies for fast shooting. Hit a third hog never found it.
                              Last edited by Milldawg; 07-11-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

.222 Remington
                                .22-250 Remington
                                .243 Winchester
                                .25-06 Remington
                                .308 Winchester
                                .30-'06 Springfield
                                .30-30 Winchester
                                .357 Magnum (Rifle)
                                .375 Winchester
                                8 m/m Mauser
                                .54 T/C BP
                                12 Gauge slug

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad