Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cartridges have you killed big game with (Hogs too)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Yes, but what I forgot to mention was neither animal gave any indication it was hit with the first shot. That is unacceptable.
    That is a bit strange. Will make you question yourself. The deer I hit, I know I hit because I saw blood in the snow and when he was running, before he got to the ledge for cover, and because up close and personal, I saw the fur part. Other than him bolting and potentially me turning him away from me, I don't know that he would have showed signs of being hit.

That being said, with this newest development, my .280Rem goes back to being my only rifle that has always delivered "bang-flops". I agree with prioritizing human kills. To me an onthespotdrop / bangflop must deliver that. Plus, I do hunt in some miserable places where tracking can be difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

That is a bit strange. Will make you question yourself. The deer I hit, I know I hit because I saw blood in the snow and when he was running, before he got to the ledge for cover, and because up close and personal, I saw the fur part. Other than him bolting and potentially me turning him away from me, I don't know that he would have showed signs of being hit.

That being said, with this newest development, my .280Rem goes back to being my only rifle that has always delivered "bang-flops". I agree with prioritizing human kills. To me an onthespotdrop / bangflop must deliver that. Plus, I do hunt in some miserable places where tracking can be difficult.
      Usually I can hear a good hit but both of those deer were close range. Then the sound of impact is often disguised by gun's report. A couple years later I tried 165 Core-Lok again. Hit a forked horn in the head and bullet ricochet hit his brother in the boiler room. I had to shoot the first one a second time as it was up and going again. That bullet essentially ruined both front quarters. I gave the rest of the box away. Come to think of it, that's the last time I hunted Secret Mountain, 1985. Took a ton of animals off it.
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-11-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I've had many "bang-flops".
        I've also more than one deer appear totally untouched, leaving me to question my marksmanship, my rifle and my ammo.
        Not being one to just walk away, I check for hair and/or blood EVERY time, even if I can see the dead deer.
        Sometimes, weird stuff just happens. It's nature.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Sometimes, weird stuff just happens. It's nature.
          Agreed. Probably will go back to hunting deer with my .280 though what could it hurt?

Comment

Agreed. Probably will go back to hunting deer with my .280 though what could it hurt?
            Otter kill 'em dead!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Otter kill 'em dead!
              LOL well it's got the best record of bang-flops of all my rifles. I might have to considered a .22hornet or other centerfire .22cal tackdriver and start taking them in the back of the head. I just can't bring myself to do it though(anymore). I'm sure if I did, some CO would come and accuse me of trying to "Destroy the identity of game or evidence of the sex of game while in the field"

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                by Happy Myles
                Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                Today, 01:51 PM
              • Wildebeest rug
                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
              • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                by Buckshott00
                "at what point is it quenched?"
                When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                Today, 01:35 PM
              • Jackbooted Thugs
                by Buckshott00
                I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
              • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                by Buckshott00
                We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X