Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cartridges have you killed big game with (Hogs too)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanS View Post

Am I reading this right? You’re saying 130 yards with a hand gun? Please clarify
    He shoots specialty handguns. Definitely not off the shelf stuff. See some of his other posts for photos. Or check his profile. I think they're in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post

Am I reading this right? You’re saying 130 yards with a hand gun? Please clarify
      Yes, with a customized Ruger GP-100, chambered in 357 Magnum, using 158 grain Hornady HP's. One shot only. We call it the Franken-Ruger. It was built by Chris Rhodes at Bayside Custom Gunworks. http://www.baysidecustomgunworks.net...y-package.html

70ish yards on this Blackbuck, with the same pistol.

Between 90-100 yards on this springbok, standing using Bog-Gear.

Black Wildebeest at 155 yards, buck antelope at just under 200 yards sitting with Bog-Gear, several whitetail in the 90-100 yard range.
      Before I had the barrel shortened I decided to see what could be done at 500 yards.

https://youtu.be/ZcyPO0nPAf0

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

He shoots specialty handguns. Definitely not off the shelf stuff. See some of his other posts for photos. Or check his profile. I think they're in there too.
        Shooting the single-shot specialty pistols, we play at distances to and beyond 1K.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Shooting the single-shot specialty pistols, we play at distances to and beyond 1K.
          That FrankenRuger is obviously a specialty item too since it was custom built for you by a gunsmith.

Wait ... "One shot only." Does that mean this revolver was changed to single shot? I guess that wouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Freeze the cylinder on the spindle and remove the cylinder rotating lever. I presume the purpose would be to ensure against loss of accuracy when rotating the cylinder from chamber to chamber. Interesting. How do you extract the empty shell? Or is the spindle slotted to allow for extraction of the empty without the cylinder changing position? Hmmm. Okay, I'm guessing the cylinder is welded to the loading arm while the extraction spindle remains free floating. Yes, that would make more sense. I take it back. Sounds like a lot of work. And it's never easy working with stainless.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-04-2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

No doubt my FR is custom.
            A revolver, although custom, is more difficult to shoot accurately at close and further distances (While using a straight wall cartridge), than one of my XP-100's (Using a bottleneck cartridge).
            When you put 5 rounds at a 1000 yard match under 4", while using a specialty pistol it is a true joy.
            I couldn't do that with any revolver.

Comment

No doubt my FR is custom.
              A revolver, although custom, is more difficult to shoot accurately at close and further distances (While using a straight wall cartridge), than one of my XP-100's (Using a bottleneck cartridge).
              When you put 5 rounds at a 1000 yard match under 4", while using a specialty pistol it is a true joy.
              I couldn't do that with any revolver.
              See my added thoughts below. Is it a single shot?

Comment

My center-grip XP-100's are all single-shots.
                A Ruger GP-100 has a cylinder (6 shot).
                Revolver weighs less, has an external trigger, longer locktime, heavier trigger, weaker action, etc.

Comment

For Example a 6mm Creedmoor XP-100.

Comment

Goofing around at 100 yards some time ago with my FR.
                    First video is SA and the second 6-shots are double action.
                    https://youtu.be/n4ofPYuv2_E
                    https://youtu.be/9TdlFdkWgZk

Comment

The grouping at 500 yards was 6 shots/one cylinder full.
                      Last edited by Ernie; 03-04-2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

The grouping at 500 yards was 6 shots/one cylinder.
                        Yes, it did look like a revolver. That "one shot" comment confused me.

Comment

Yes, it did look like a revolver. That "one shot" comment confused me.
                          Sorry about that.
                          I was not trying to confuse anyone.
                          The point I was trying to make that even at 130 yards with a revolver, it only took one to cleanly kill that javelina.

Comment

I count Whitetail as big game even though in a lot of cases they're probably closer to varmints. At least these big northern ones are big. Haven't gone after hog yet. but anything on this list I've dropped deer with. Might be forgeting a few.

.243win
                            .25-06
                            6.8spc
                            .270win
                            7mm-08
                            .280Rem
                            .303brit
                            .308win
                            .30-06
                            .300wm
                            .35Rem
                            .35Whelen
                            .338wm

20Gauge slugs
                            12gauge slugs

Comment

David Petzal seems to disagree ... but I don't. His blog/article on best deer cartridge made it clear he does not prefer heavier bullets. He claimed the first deer he shot way back when with 180 grain 30-06 ran off 100 yards. I have to wonder if maybe that was a gut shot? I killed a boxcar load of whitetail and muleys over the last half century and almost all with 180 gr 30-06. Only one went further than fifty yards and most fell over on the spot. I recall one mule deer doe in 1970 that was a good 300 yards and everything else was a hundred yards or less. She dropped in her tracks. Only one deer, a 5x5 whitetail (the above exception), almost was lost. Happened to find him dead while coming down the mountain with a muley doe on my back. Both were shot with 165 gr Core-Lokt. The buck was pure gut shot (I believe the only pure gut shot animal in my career) and left no blood. The doe took two in the boiler room at close range. Not impressed with the lighter bullets! And I was definitely not impressed with the bloodshot mess when skin came off. Went back to 180 gr reloads. Needed my head examined for having 165 gr loaded in elk country anyway. As I've said many times, a clean kill (i.e. no excessive bloodshot) is much more important to me than bang-flop. But of course I don't hunt country with bramble thickets that can instantly hide a deer carcass (and never will) and I am a grade (or two) above average when it comes to tracking, blood trail or not.
                              You know OH. I had something weird happen to me this last season. I had to shoot a deer twice. I'm going to post the story over where I replied to bubba, and put up some pictures, but it happens. I double lunged him with a .300wm at about 150yds. He ran up the hillside right at me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

You know OH. I had something weird happen to me this last season. I had to shoot a deer twice. I'm going to post the story over where I replied to bubba, and put up some pictures, but it happens. I double lunged him with a .300wm at about 150yds. He ran up the hillside right at me!!!
                                Yes, but what I forgot to mention was neither animal gave any indication it was hit with the first shot. That is unacceptable.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                                  by Happy Myles
                                  Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                                  Today, 01:51 PM
                                • Wildebeest rug
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                                  06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
                                • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  "at what point is it quenched?"
                                  When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                  Today, 01:35 PM
                                • Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                  06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                                • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                  Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X