Aches and pains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aches and pains

i have been reading with sympathy and understanding how some of the other old timers have been dealing with the aches and pains occurring with old age. Then I realized how lucky I am to have had the opportunity as well as the ability to endure my recent six weeks in Africa. Prior to leaving my son convinced to me to visit his chiropractor three times a week for a couple months prior to the trip. The doctor also gave me some exercises to repeat three times a day during my journey. The results were gratifying, my terrible lower back pains were very manageable with no medications. I am over eighty years old and managed to fill four Cape Buffalo permits, take a record book Sable, and several other trophies while experimenting with new calibers and new ammunition. This was done in wild, open country while camping in wonderful tented camps with Gods creatures prowling through at night. How lucky can a hunter be?

Happy - Maybe you could benefit from some massage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
      i have been reading with sympathy and understanding how some of the other old timers have been dealing with the aches and pains occurring with old age. Then I realized how lucky I am to have had the opportunity as well as the ability to endure my recent six weeks in Africa. Prior to leaving my son convinced to me to visit his chiropractor three times a week for a couple months prior to the trip. The doctor also gave me some exercises to repeat three times a day during my journey. The results were gratifying, my terrible lower back pains were very manageable with no medications. I am over eighty years old and managed to fill four Cape Buffalo permits, take a record book Sable, and several other trophies while experimenting with new calibers and new ammunition. This was done in wild, open country while camping in wonderful tented camps with Gods creatures prowling through at night. How lucky can a hunter be?
      After I broke my back my Dr. suggested I go to PT to get my endurance back. Very worth while exercises that I still do to this day. I am only a couple years younger than Happy. The other thing I whole heartedly agree with is a routine trip to the Chiropractor for a 'tune up' . When I do get in the field I feel much more ready and able to handle the conditions.

Comment

99 I had a massage once. I did not enjoy it. In fact I did not like it, I will stick with a chiropractor for my pains.

Comment

H. Myles, you are, indeed, fortunate.
          ...or maybe, my experiences are unfortunate.

Most of my physical discomfort and difficulties has not been of my doing.
          That a mere visit to a chiropractor would relieve some of my daily aches and pains would be a blessing.
          Oh no! I have to visit orthopedic surgeons! LOL!
          All in all, at 69 years of age, I consider myself quite fortunate that my condition is no worse than it is.
          I think of the American military veterans who start their day by strapping on prosthetic arms or legs...or both and consider myself VERY lucky indeed.

I whine and cry to myself quite often. My wife and children treat me like an invalid occasionally until I remind them, "I'm a cripple! NOT and invalid!"
          I quit whining a long time ago about not being able to perform some task, chore or desired activity. Now I just figure out how to do it a different way.
          My wife walks 2 miles a day. I can no longer accompany her.
          So when she leaves the house, I walk around our circle drive until she come back into view.
          If my foot, hip or shoulder crater on me, I'm at least in my own yard!

When I fall on flat ground, my "helper" comes and lies quietly beside me and helps me support my weight until I can get my feet back under me.

Comment

God Bless you Bubba. Why is your helpers name?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
              God Bless you Bubba. Why is your helpers name?
              His name is Dax. He's a 120 pound teddy bear.

...and I truly feel God has blessed me, H. Myles.
              He had every reason in the world to check me off his list in 1991 and chose not to.

Comment

_Bubba, my helper is named Tez, she is half the weight of Dax. She is a rescue dog and has rescued me. I have been lucky to have many wonderful dogs during my lifetime and she is perfect at this time of my life. I used to raise Labs but this lady is just right me.

Comment

The companionship and unconditional love a canine companion brings to the table soothes aches and pains no medication can touch.

Comment

I wish I had done something about this nagging backache before I left. My "helper" Ellie is partly responsible for the pain I'm dealing with now. Damned loveable Lab has to pile onto me in bed every night. We are staying at a friend's house and she has to sleep with/on me or she'll cry to get in the room. Puppy is a worse crybaby but much more manageable to sleep with. Sometimes I wish that big black stinker didn't love me so much.

Had to stop in a town half way to hunting grounds today and buy another jug of Ibuprofen to keep in the vehicle. Man, I was hurting. After the first rooster flew off leaving three empty shells on the ground, I sat down in the snow and did some stretching exercises. Had to try something. It was terrible painful and a few things popped and snapped but I felt much better after a while. Eventually put in about eight miles walking in fairly kind terrain. Got my three birds including the first missed one we pushed up again near the Jimmy at the end of the day. Only Puppy hunted today and she was stellar. Not a lot of birds around this year but these two pointing dogs sure make it easy ... if I hunt them individually. Have already shot five daily limits of three roosters (plus several other single or double days). Drew a blank only one day so far. Especially delighted that Puppy recovered two crippled roosters today. She is not a strong retriever but if the birds are not dead she won't let them get away. The birds here seem to be holding much better this year. Hunter numbers are way down and that probably has something to do with it. Too many bad years in a row has sent many nonresidents looking for hunting in other places. Also, the weather has been absolutely horrible.

Comment

Honker - Have you considered acupuncture?
                      It's expensive, and not covered by Medicare.
                      I tried it for a while many years ago, without results.

Comment

Alignment been pretty good last 5 or so.
                        Pain worse, different...............chiro said he can't fix what's going on now.
                        Only surgery.

Mom and dad have both had a disc removed, shoulders repaired. Before age 50.
                        I'm 55 and no surgery yet. But I did the running/biking sports stuff they never did.

Looks like it bought me about 5 yrs LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                          Honker - Have you considered acupuncture?
                          It's expensive, and not covered by Medicare.
                          I tried it for a while many years ago, without results.
                          My daughter and her guy have tried acupuncture with mixed results. My back issue is not consistent. Usually a trip or two to chiroquactor helps a lot. I am getting by. More of a nuisance than anything. Not getting worse but not getting better. My buddy I'm staying with here recently bought a fancy four seater side-by-side so there won't be any deer dragging this year. Ordinarily I would prefer to do things the old fashioned way as long as possible. Not into techno-assistance. But no sense in hurting myself, possibly permanently. So deer will come out on that rig most likely.

Incidentally, they just discovered CWD in this district last week. Now we will be stuck removing all brain and spinal tissue before we can move carcasses from the district. A pain in the arse but we must do our part. Many guys simply ignore the regulations due to inconvenience. Slob hunters abound.

Comment

I have an electrically-powered chair mat made by Naipo that is strapped to the back and seat of a chair to give the sitter a back massage up and down the edges of the spine.
                            I bought it online for about a hundred dollars two years ago, and it helps a lot when my back stiffens up. It runs on house current.
                            I should be posting this as a gear test.

Comment

Old guy from work got a TENS. Said it was about 50 bucks.
                              Said it works too.
                              Another buddy tried it, agreed.
                              Both said after you get used to it you run em higher.
                              Don't forget to turn em down if you haven't used it for a spell............starting out at a higher setting was "invigorating".

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X