No announcement yet.

African Ramblings African

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap what a Sable! I know they can break 50" but those bases are like fenchposts and they carry their mass to the top. Is there a more beautiful animal. To me buff bulls all look the same unless you can look them over right up close and in person.
    p.s. Beautiful rifle.

Comment

Hopefully a photo of five spent 400 grain TSX bullets retrieved from five one shot kill Cape buffalo. Their excellent condition is why I continue to use them. Good, dependable bullets. I tossed in on the left a little, bitty piece of a 140 grain 6.5 Berger LR bullet which is the only evidence retrieved from eight animals killed with my 6.5x284. Must add they were also all one shot kills.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
        Jimbo, The rule of thumb will differ with how well the PH knows the client and the hunters capabilities. Most customers feel they are special marksmen. Unfortunately, paper targets do not suddenly move or kick at flies. They do not turn out to be at an unnoticed slight angle or partially in the shade. 800 yards at the range may turn into three mile journey to the animal in the field. Now where was that animal? Mistakes are usually blamed on the equipment or a tracker sneezing at the wrong moment. No dead rest or pack to shoot over, because of thorns or tall grass. Remember you own that animals if there is one spot of blood the permit is filled or you track it for days at a thousand bucks a day and you do not shoot anything else.

Two or three hundred yards is plenty for most of us. Hunting in Africa, you will often have another opportunity, so be patient . During the past few years I have heard from two PHs from different areas who took different hunters who insisted on only long range shooting. Both pros said never again. I do not feel like going into details.

then there is the issue of Fair Chase. Giving your quarry a chance to use its sight, hearing and other senses to outwit the Hunter. Some feel fair chase just involves the shooters skill at any distance, if he can hit it it’s fair. I feel the animal should win sometimes, matching wits is as important as knocking over the animal. With today’s technology soon we might be able to do that from our living room.

i am old fashioned
        HM, I am not a gun hunter, but I still enjoy reading your words, exciting stuff. But, I was most pleased to read your last words “I am old fashioned”, that is true hunting, thanks for that !!!

Comment

Glad you got your photos to come through!
          Cape buff are just awesome. Period!
          ...but the sable?
          I'm at a loss for words!

Comment

I have taken three excellent Sable in the past, including a truly great Roosevelt Sable. This standard subspecies was too fabulous to pass up. The permits are expensive.

dewman, thank you for noticing the Rifle, it is a beauty and accurate too. It will be my last wooded stocked rifle, come to think of it, probably my last rifle. Had it crafted with my grand daughter in mind. Sigh, she does not wish to hunt, nor does my grand son. I am a dinosaur. When I was young good hunters were respected and envied, nowadays, well, times change. I do not regret anything. Kindest Regards
            Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-01-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Couple thoughts on the recurring subject of long range shooting. I have hunted big game all over the world. If my memory serves me right, rarely has ultra long range been thought of and never used by me. For example, many think sheep hunting is all long range shooting. I have taken all the worlds great sheep including two grand slams here in the States. Most were killed between 60 and 200 yards. The only exception I can recall was a Marco Polo, my range finder indicated 305 yards, I had a dead rest on a boulder with the rifle forearm on my palm between the rock and the stock. The ram was asleep in a terrible snow storm out of the wind at 17000 feet altitude. He lunged up, ran 60 yards and died. Hit by a 180 grain Nosler through the heart. He was heavily broomed and still measured 60 inches
              Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-01-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Jimbo, The rule of thumb will differ with how well the PH knows the client and the hunters capabilities. Most customers feel they are special marksmen. Unfortunately, paper targets do not suddenly move or kick at flies. They do not turn out to be at an unnoticed slight angle or partially in the shade. 800 yards at the range may turn into three mile journey to the animal in the field. Now where was that animal? Mistakes are usually blamed on the equipment or a tracker sneezing at the wrong moment. No dead rest or pack to shoot over, because of thorns or tall grass. Remember you own that animals if there is one spot of blood the permit is filled or you track it for days at a thousand bucks a day and you do not shoot anything else.

Two or three hundred yards is plenty for most of us. Hunting in Africa, you will often have another opportunity, so be patient . During the past few years I have heard from two PHs from different areas who took different hunters who insisted on only long range shooting. Both pros said never again. I do not feel like going into details.

then there is the issue of Fair Chase. Giving your quarry a chance to use its sight, hearing and other senses to outwit the Hunter. Some feel fair chase just involves the shooters skill at any distance, if he can hit it it’s fair. I feel the animal should win sometimes, matching wits is as important as knocking over the animal. With today’s technology soon we might be able to do that from our living room.

i am old fashioned
                I agree whole heartedly, H. Myles!
                I enjoy patterning wild turkeys in the fall and then setting up the ambush.

Comment

Happy, Are you affected by the wild fires ? When will it rain ?

Comment

So far we have been lucky. A couple fires close to my son. One of the fires is close to the warehouse where my trophies are stored. What a finale that would be!
                    Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-02-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I am somewhat surprised no one has commented on the tiny piece of 6.5 bullet as the only bullet evidence recovered after killing eight animals ranging in size from Sable, Roan, Bush Pig and Hyena with my 6.5x284. I found the cartridge extremely accurate but terminal ballistics nothing special, considering all the wildly popular 6.5 writings. Was not unhappy, just commenting, as all my rifles are accurate, other wise I do not keep them. Kindest Regards
                      Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-02-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

What bullet, wt., were you shooting in the 6.5 ?

Comment

I took four animals with 140 grain Berger and four with 140 grain Swift A Frame. Both accurate, I felt the Swift a bit better terminal performance

Comment

"... I found the cartridge extremely accurate but terminal ballistics nothing special, considering all the wildly popular 6.5 writings. ..."

I think you pretty much answered your own question.
                            Calibers from .244 on up to .50 (centerfire cartridges) have been used to take game for decades.
                            Different cartridge specifications and designations don't seem to matter as they all kill game. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder(?)!
                            The big bores, like your .416 Rem, are more related to dangerous game, therefore, more of an attention grabber.
                            Also, I've always been of a mindset that the "perfect" bullet expends all it's energy inside the target.

Which is better? The .30-06 Spgfld or the .270 Win?
                            Who cares? They both kill game!

Comment

Note the mass on both this Sable and the buffalo. Do not turn down trophies like these. The sable’s horns are very long over 47 inches but their mass is special, lots of secondary growth. The buffalo is 44 inches, note the polished boss this is an old bull with lots of scars. Dagga Boy par excellence. We spotted him across a green pan as he and three other bulls grazed out of Miombo woodland. I froze with 416 on the sticks as they worked toward us eating, the sun was setting low and bright behind me and wind was toward me, all elements in my favor. When he finally spotted me he snorted, shook his head and kept coming, looking belligerent. At 22 yards I squeezed off aiming at the juncture of neck and chest. That was it. I had a bush breaking up my outline and the PH and tracker were ten feet behind me. I vaguely recall the PH hissing shoot, I wanted to see how close he would come before he realized I might be trouble.
                              Again, I am unable to see any of these images on my computer. I guess pictures put on Answers from smart phones are only visible on smart phones. Sigh! Drop me a private message Happy and see if they will come through that way. I'd love to see them.

Comment

Honk, Go to Happy Myles profile - some of his pics. appear there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad