Ammo change update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo change update

Click image for larger version  Name:	D18A9441-09E9-4D4A-8C7A-F0D808B44AD8.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	716458 Bear with me, lots to explain, then a question.

Bow hunted for a little while this morning, saw nothing. Headed down to load up most of our trip gear and do last minute zero checks.

Admittedly should have done this sooner but school/work/hunting got in the way. Is what it is.

Left two targets were 211 yards up hill. Right sides were straight on at 100.

Upper right square bull target was from my 270 our last outing. You should see the three center shots circled were 140 Accubonds, the two on either side 130 TTSX. Now notice on the lower target the two hits from today, 130 Trophy Copper rounds. If you over lay the two targets the two from today touch the center hole from the five last time. That’s seven shots in a cluster from three different brands of ammo and bullets. I’ll take that.

At two hundred today things went a bit side ways. You can see the two 270 hits are 3” high, but now 3.5” left. The five shot group from before was after a 200 yard flat zero from back this summer, 2.5” high at 100. So at 100 nothing changed but now I’m a bit high left at 200.

Two things: wind was right to left maybe gusting 10mph. The 200 yard target was also out to the left, not straight out from the bench. My guess is the wind and shot angle affected poi more than different ammo. Changed nothing, will recheck in Montana.

Continued for the 7-08
    Last edited by fitch270; 10-19-2019, 10:08 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	716461 The boys 7-08 gave us a bit more to ponder. The gun had been shooting 120 TTSX and 120 Nosler BT’s into the same poi as well. Switched up to 140 Nosler Etips and 140 Nosler Partitions. Shot very slowly to keep the barrel from heating up.

From this pic, first target of the day, you’ll see the 140’s are mostly 2” high, which they should be, but now also 2+” left. The two Partitions were shot after the three Etips. Ok, that might work. Eights clicks right. Then back to the upper pic.

He then shot the lower two squares on the Burris target, Partitions first. I didn’t like the second Etip hit to the right. Kid shoots too well with that gun for groups to start opening up with one type of ammo. Quit at 100 at let him check at 200.

Shot just one Partition which hit about 2.5” high like my 270, but centered. Of course then he shot one Etip which hit just an inch low. WT?

At this point we have 34 Etips left, which I’m not impressed with, and just 14 Partitions. Rather than just burn ammo and heat up the barrel we quit.
    Went to my FiL’s and packed the gear he’s taking for us, and the guns after cleaning them. Dropped the boy off to video the HS football game and headed out to the gunshop that had the ammo and picked up another box of Partitions.

We have 2 1/2+ boxes of ammo for each rifle going to Montana. I’m sure we’ll be fine but not exactly happy with the late switch. My fault for not buying more Barnes to start with.

I’ll probably run the Trophy Copper loads in the .270, and the Partitions in the 7-08.

What’s your take?

PS:
    Kid shot the two 45-70 rounds that are touching. I shot the last round in the box at 200 and hit below the target. The Guide Gun is packed and making the trip just because. Will dial it in better out there if we need to.

PSS: the huge holes on the 200 yard target are from it being taped to a steel plate. Interesting the difference in splatter between the types of ammo. Some shots may have passed through previous holes.
    Last edited by fitch270; 10-19-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	D18A9441-09E9-4D4A-8C7A-F0D808B44AD8.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	716458 Bear with me, lots to explain, then a question.

Bow hunted for a little while this morning, saw nothing. Headed down to load up most of our trip gear and do last minute zero checks.

Admittedly should have done this sooner but school/work/hunting got in the way. Is what it is.

Left two targets were 211 yards up hill. Right sides were straight on at 100.

Upper right square bull target was from my 270 our last outing. You should see the three center shots circled were 140 Accubonds, the two on either side 130 TTSX. Now notice on the lower target the two hits from today, 130 Trophy Copper rounds. If you over lay the two targets the two from today touch the center hole from the five last time. That’s seven shots in a cluster from three different brands of ammo and bullets. I’ll take that.

At two hundred today things went a bit side ways. You can see the two 270 hits are 3” high, but now 3.5” left. The five shot group from before was after a 200 yard flat zero from back this summer, 2.5” high at 100. So at 100 nothing changed but now I’m a bit high left at 200.

Two things: wind was right to left maybe gusting 10mph. The 200 yard target was also out to the left, not straight out from the bench. My guess is the wind and shot angle affected poi more than different ammo. Changed nothing, will recheck in Montana.

Continued for the 7-08
      As long as you're not going for a head shot at 200 yards, it appears what you have will work on an elk or deer. Aim for the boiler room. I made a strange gun that was shooting a foot and a half low at 220 meters work for kudu bull at 330 meters. It can be done. Better finish that story. After I clean the birds.

Comment

I see nine targets so it must be a double post ? Main thing is how they shoot on your trip. Be deliberate when you check them out and only make small adjustments when there. If you try to adjust too much you will chase them all over the paper and burn up your ammo. Good luck. Have a good trip.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I see nine targets so it must be a double post ? Main thing is how they shoot on your trip. Be deliberate when you check them out and only make small adjustments when there. If you try to adjust too much you will chase them all over the paper and burn up your ammo. Good luck. Have a good trip.
          The picture in the original question has four targets, then I added another target when I continued by posting to my own question. OHH quoted the original question showing the same four targets. Sorry, it was a confusing way to present all the info. One target per gun would have worked better, but things weren't going quite as smoothly as I'd hoped.

Chasing the paper was exactly what I was looking to avoid. All we ended up doing was adding 8 clicks right to his scope, which appeared to give the result I wanted. Since both types of 140 grain bullets went left I'm guessing it has to do with barrel harmonics. Given the trouble I had finding suitable bullets for our trip I didn't want to burn up what we had. As it stands we actually have 53 rounds for the 270 (36 Trophy Copper+17 Accubonds) and 68 for the 7-08 (34 each E-tip and Partition) so I think we should be ok. I was surprised the E-tips didnt group better. So far the gun has shot Hornady Whitetail, Federal Fusions, Barnes Vor-Tx, Nosler BT's and the Nosler Partitions quite well.

Edit to add:
          Now that I think about it I'm convinced the 140's will hit left of the 120's on a regular basis.
          When we sighted in the gun originally it was with the 140gr Fusions and 139gr Interlocks. This summer when we shot the 120gr BT's and TTSX loads we had to move the crosshairs 2" left to get them centered.
          Last edited by fitch270; 10-20-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

The picture in the original question has four targets, then I added another target when I continued by posting to my own question. OHH quoted the original question showing the same four targets. Sorry, it was a confusing way to present all the info. One target per gun would have worked better, but things weren't going quite as smoothly as I'd hoped.

Chasing the paper was exactly what I was looking to avoid. All we ended up doing was adding 8 clicks right to his scope, which appeared to give the result I wanted. Since both types of 140 grain bullets went left I'm guessing it has to do with barrel harmonics. Given the trouble I had finding suitable bullets for our trip I didn't want to burn up what we had. As it stands we actually have 53 rounds for the 270 (36 Trophy Copper+17 Accubonds) and 68 for the 7-08 (34 each E-tip and Partition) so I think we should be ok. I was surprised the E-tips didnt group better. So far the gun has shot Hornady Whitetail, Federal Fusions, Barnes Vor-Tx, Nosler BT's and the Nosler Partitions quite well.

Edit to add:
            Now that I think about it I'm convinced the 140's will hit left of the 120's on a regular basis.
            When we sighted in the gun originally it was with the 140gr Fusions and 139gr Interlocks. This summer when we shot the 120gr BT's and TTSX loads we had to move the crosshairs 2" left to get them centered.
            When you find a good round for elk or deer, save up and by a good supply. Ammo kept cool and dry will last forever. I do that when I reload for each of my rifles. There is little variance within any lot of reloading supplies so I just stick with one load. I only hunt N.Y. deer and bear and Ohio deer now so it is easy to keep things straight.
            When I started reloading in the '70's I thought boy I can load my 30-06 all the way from 110gr to 220gr. Yes you can, but, it will drive you crazy keeping a zero. One will wear out the turrets on a scope and drive yourself crazy.(I load 17 pistol and rifle calibers) If you ever start reloading don't try to squeeze every FPS out of a load - the fastest is not the most accurate. I load my .300WbyMag to 3000fps with 180gr. I could go to 3250fps but why - the groups open up and it is harder on the gun. If you ever think you need more power get a bigger gun. Have a good trip and take pictures. Jim

Comment

Edit to add:
              Your harmonics theory makes sense. It explains why the 190 gr loads for my 30-06 would not group where the 165 gr loads were zeroed. The difference was not terribly significant at 100 yards but certainly could have been at 200. But I wouldn't shoot 190 gr out that far anyway.

Comment

When you find a good round for elk or deer, save up and by a good supply. Ammo kept cool and dry will last forever. I do that when I reload for each of my rifles. There is little variance within any lot of reloading supplies so I just stick with one load. I only hunt N.Y. deer and bear and Ohio deer now so it is easy to keep things straight.
                When I started reloading in the '70's I thought boy I can load my 30-06 all the way from 110gr to 220gr. Yes you can, but, it will drive you crazy keeping a zero. One will wear out the turrets on a scope and drive yourself crazy.(I load 17 pistol and rifle calibers) If you ever start reloading don't try to squeeze every FPS out of a load - the fastest is not the most accurate. I load my .300WbyMag to 3000fps with 180gr. I could go to 3250fps but why - the groups open up and it is harder on the gun. If you ever think you need more power get a bigger gun. Have a good trip and take pictures. Jim
                180 gr at 3000 fps? How's the splatter factor? Or have you actually shot anything with that Weatherby yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

180 gr at 3000 fps? How's the splatter factor? Or have you actually shot anything with that Weatherby yet?
                  Honk, 10pt. 180gr Partition, Weatherby Mk V .300WbyMag right through the heart. Honk, I have hunted deer since before you were born, and shot my first bear when you were in diapers.
                  The 10pt. was shot with my Weatherby. I think each of my rifles and hunting handguns has shot a deer, I have not kept a diary.
                  My Big and Small game N.Y. Lifetime license is a 2 digit number.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Honk, 10pt. 180gr Partition, Weatherby Mk V .300WbyMag right through the heart. Honk, I have hunted deer since before you were born, and shot my first bear when you were in diapers.
                    The 10pt. was shot with my Weatherby. I think each of my rifles and hunting handguns has shot a deer, I have not kept a diary.
                    My Big and Small game N.Y. Lifetime license is a 2 digit number.
                    So you're eighty now? 180 gr Partition would be a great choice for that gun. 3000 fps not so much. Good thing you didn't hit much bone.

Nice collection of forked horns. I must have thirty of them laying around somewhere. If my brother hasn't cut them up for cabinet handles.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad