Change in ammo plansbefTztwetrmucwhen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I’ll keep that in mind, but just double checked and Cabela’s doesn’t show 7mm-08 available in Barnes Vor-Tx. Hamburg PA nor Scarborough ME stores had it on the shelves the last two months, neither did Kittery Trading Post. The Maine stores surprised me a bit, they have moose after all.

We’re ok, if it’s just the two of us riding to the lodge maybe we could make a quick detour, but I wouldn’t want to hold anyone else up. Not a good way to make a first impression. We have three boxes of ammo per gun that I’m sure will be fine.
    Post Falls is right on the interstate and should be on your way to your lodge (presuming the outfitter goes north out of Superior to Thompson Falls). How about Barnes TSX? Seemed to do an okay job on my kudu in the loads I borrowed from the lodge. But then again with that shot placement any bullet would have worked. Note to self: finish that story before Fitch leaves for Montana.

I have some Barnes 165 TSX 30-06 loaded up for Montana deer. Anyone have experience with these? Are they a meat mangler? Again, I wouldn't know because my experience is limited to that one shot in the kudu and it was high in the neck. Never saw it after skinned. I did see what the Nosler Partitions did to the gemsbuck and it wasn't bad. Two shots in the right front shoulder and owner of the property was so impressed he opted to keep the meat (he wanted the cape and I let him have it because she was pretty badly banged up in the face from something or other - when they skinned it back to the shoulder he decided he'd take the rest too - except the horns/skull of course). The skinners recovered one bullet and like the bullet recovered from the wildebeest the day before, front half down to the partition was gone. Both bullets stayed on path after impact lodging in hide on opposite side. Wildebeest dropped dead immediately with one shot and gemsbuck might have done the same had I given her a chance to die. If you can't get any Barnes stuff, I don't think you could go wrong with those Partitions. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any more of them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Post Falls is right on the interstate and should be on your way to your lodge (presuming the outfitter goes north out of Superior to Thompson Falls). How about Barnes TSX? Seemed to do an okay job on my kudu in the loads I borrowed from the lodge. But then again with that shot placement any bullet would have worked. Note to self: finish that story before Fitch leaves for Montana.

I have some Barnes 165 TSX 30-06 loaded up for Montana deer. Anyone have experience with these? Are they a meat mangler? Again, I wouldn't know because my experience is limited to that one shot in the kudu and it was high in the neck. Never saw it after skinned. I did see what the Nosler Partitions did to the gemsbuck and it wasn't bad. Two shots in the right front shoulder and owner of the property was so impressed he opted to keep the meat (he wanted the cape and I let him have it because she was pretty badly banged up in the face from something or other - when they skinned it back to the shoulder he decided he'd take the rest too - except the horns/skull of course). The skinners recovered one bullet and like the bullet recovered from the wildebeest the day before, front half down to the partition was gone. Both bullets stayed on path after impact lodging in hide on opposite side. Wildebeest dropped dead immediately with one shot and gemsbuck might have done the same had I given her a chance to die. If you can't get any Barnes stuff, I don't think you could go wrong with those Partitions. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any more of them here.
      I haven’t had a chance to use the mono bullets yet, but based on what I’ve read they tend to do less meat damage. Barnes bullets like velocity to open, but there’s no core to fragment and tear stuff up. That’s probably the main gripe about them, not expanding properly on occasion and “pencilling” through. Doesn’t seem to be as common an issue with the tipped TTSX version.

The Nosler Etips are heavier so most likely have a bit less FPS, but from reports I’ve read expansion isn’t an issue. The Partitions are for back up in case the Etips don’t shoot well for some reason. That and if I get in a pinch again I think they’d be easier to locate than mono types.

I should have internet access at the lodge, how much time I’ll have to check in will depend on how tired we are. If I can stay awake through dinner maybe I’ll have some reports to share.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad