No announcement yet.

Outfitter Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have bullets I like. Bullets i don't like. Bullets I won't buy because I consider them too expensive. Bullets I'd like to buy but they're too expensive. (Nosler 85 gr .277, $35/box of 50!)

I really don't think it matters "which" bullet/caliber you shoot, "Murphy's Law" will/can kick in at any moment, leaving us tracking, or trying to track a wounded/missed(?) game animal.
    There are tons that can go wrong between the sear slip and the bullet strike.

If you shoot a game animal and are unable to recover it, don't tell me it was the bullet, or the caliber, or the ammo brand! You'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      I have bullets I like. Bullets i don't like. Bullets I won't buy because I consider them too expensive. Bullets I'd like to buy but they're too expensive. (Nosler 85 gr .277, $35/box of 50!)

I really don't think it matters "which" bullet/caliber you shoot, "Murphy's Law" will/can kick in at any moment, leaving us tracking, or trying to track a wounded/missed(?) game animal.
      There are tons that can go wrong between the sear slip and the bullet strike.

If you shoot a game animal and are unable to recover it, don't tell me it was the bullet, or the caliber, or the ammo brand! You'll never know.
      I was in Michigan and shot a 10 pt and the guy came over and helped me drag it to his house to clean it up. He showed me a video of a big deer he shot a day earlier - yes they tape them by the bait pile which is made up of several dump truck loads of bait, and give them names. Anyway, he shot it with a 30-06 220gr Win Silvertips. Tracked it for a mile and never saw it. So much for Silvertips. I use CoreLokt by Remington and can not remember ever loosing a deer or bear.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I was in Michigan and shot a 10 pt and the guy came over and helped me drag it to his house to clean it up. He showed me a video of a big deer he shot a day earlier - yes they tape them by the bait pile which is made up of several dump truck loads of bait, and give them names. Anyway, he shot it with a 30-06 220gr Win Silvertips. Tracked it for a mile and never saw it. So much for Silvertips. I use CoreLokt by Remington and can not remember ever loosing a deer or bear.
        Remington CoreLokt factory loads have also performed well for me. I've got several boxes of Hornady Interlocks that I'm going to load and try in the .30-06 and .308 and hoping to get good performance.

Comment

[QUOTE=FirstBubba;n715498]
          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

At the moment, jimbo, I CAN still find ammo. There just isn't a wide selection for bullet weight and manufacturer.
          Remington, Federal, American Eagle (Federal) and Hornady make ammo.
          There are also some off brand makers I shy away from like Wolf and TULAmmo.
          ...and I do have dies.
          My AR shoots the Speer 90 grain "Gold Dot" bullet into cloverleafs, but finding 90 grain factory (Federal) ammo is nearly impossible.
          When I can find it, I buy Remington, Hornady or Federal ammo, shoot it up and reload the brass.
          Bubba, Midway USA has the Federal 90 grain HP load for $ 0.80 per round if you purchase 250 at one time. I suggest scraping up the funds and getting it while you can.
          https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018433318

The 90 grain Fusion load is $1.15 per round
          https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017694010?pid=539516
          Last edited by PigHunter; 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I really don't know a lot about factory ammo except what I read in the catalogs. I load everything I shoot and over the last 50 years I have found what bullets work and what bullets don't work. Like I said before the Nosler Accubonds have been the best bullets for me in accuracy and results on deer when shot. My next bullet that I have used with a lot of success is the plain old Hornady Interlock, it has been around for many many years. The Accubnds hold together just a little better but I don't hesitate to use either of them on deer. Years ago I used the Winchester ballistic silver tips the project they did with Nosler with success but decided to go with a stronger bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Remington Core Lokt factory loads have also performed well for me. I've got several boxes of Hornady Interlocks that I'm going to load and try in the .30-06 and .308 and hoping to get good performance.
              Never had a problem with Rem Core-Lokt. I've probably shot a ton of them at deer, hogs, trees, armadillos, etc, etc.

I've never had a problem with plain Jane old Sierra 130 gr BTSP for my .270 Win. Good stuff, Maynard!

I haven't tried it on "peer & digs" yet, but I'm really excited to try these Speer 90 gr "Gold Dot" bullets in my 6.8mm. They're killer on paper! LOL!

Comment

[QUOTE=PigHunter;n715507]
                Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Bubba, Midway USA has the Federal 90 grain HP load for $ 0.80 per round if you purchase 250 at one time. I suggest scraping up the funds and getting it while you can.
                https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018433318

The 90 grain Fusion load is $1.15 per round
                https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017694010?pid=539516
                I'll just keep spending on reloading supplies. I built a screen on my shooting bench so I can recover all my brass.
                Hunting, I couldn't care less if I recover the brass or not.
                So far, the AR slings all the brass inside my box blind. I'm just waiting for a hot brass down the collar! LOL!

Comment

From Sarge01 {"I shot with a 25-06 with a Barnes Triple shok shot through both shoulders. Deer didn't even flinch, no blood or hair and after circling in the dense laurel I found the buck about 150 yards from where it was shot."}

Sarge, I've seen that with the Barnes. The only ones I've shot didn't expand well in the 25-06. Just about any bullet will kill a deer. The only risk with some bullets is that they blow up the front quarters pretty bad if they expand too much. My favorite for the 25-06 is the 100g Hornady Interbond with the lead tip. I've rarely had one wiggle once hit with that bullet. Also be aware that monometal bullets don't expand much at all at ranges where bullet velocity gets reduced to less than about 2000 fps. They tend to leave a wound somewhat similar to a hypodermic needle if you are ever lucky enough to recover game hit with them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad