Outfitter Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfitter Ammo

New line of Hornady ammo to try out. Nickel case, sealed bullet and primer. I like nickel cases for ease of extraction and corrosion resistance. Lead free, tipped GMX bullet at 2600 fps. 200 yd zero and 9" low at 300 yds. Not the fastest but it will do.

Here's the present offering for the Outfitter line:
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/outfitter#!/

Normally about $37 to $38 per box, Midway USA has the .30-06 on sale for $28

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outfitter.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	715327

Comment

No AR15 cartridges?
      That's cheesy! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        No AR15 cartridges?
        That's cheesy! LOL!
        Bubba, you would just need to jump to the AR-10 to get .243, 6.5 CM or .308

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          New line of Hornady ammo to try out. Nickel case, sealed bullet and primer. I like nickel cases for ease of extraction and corrosion resistance. Lead free, tipped GMX bullet at 2600 fps. 200 yd zero and 9" low at 300 yds. Not the fastest but it will do.
          What cartridge/loading are you referring to jimbo?

I just bought similar, Federal Premium Trophy Copper. Nickel plated cases, 130gr mono bullet. MV 3060.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

What cartridge/loading are you referring to jimbo?

I just bought similar, Federal Premium Trophy Copper. Nickel plated cases, 130gr mono bullet. MV 3060.
            That looks like very similar to the Hornady Oufitter.
            I had several boxes of Federal Safari with the Swift A Frame bullets for my Weatherby that I did not think I would use and sold them to a guy in PA. He goes Elk hunting in NM. They were over $90 per box. About the same features as yours and the Outfitters.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Bubba, you would just need to jump to the AR-10 to get .243, 6.5 CM or .308
              Correct pighunter. Look at the chart of available calibers you posted. Not the first "AR15" specific caliber.

Comment

Correct pighunter. Look at the chart of available calibers you posted. Not the first "AR15" specific caliber.
                Yep. The Sig Sauer Elite Performance is the only AR-15 ammo I can find with nickel plated cases. At Midway USA, the .223 had two poor reviews but there were 6 glowing reviews of the .300 BLK 120 grain.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/223re...unting-ht.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/300bl...opper-otm.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/300bl...d-hunting.html

Comment

I suppose you .300BO is working out really well.
                  Well, I'm immensely pleased with my 6.8mm also. Unfortunately, the ammo thing is a bummer.
                  I think if Rem had gotten the chamber correct the first time, it would have been more popular than the Grendle and the Black Out.
                  ...but we'll never know now! Will we? LOL!

Comment

I suppose you .300BO is working out really well.
                    Well, I'm immensely pleased with my 6.8mm also. Unfortunately, the ammo thing is a bummer.
                    I think if Rem had gotten the chamber correct the first time, it would have been more popular than the Grendle and the Black Out.
                    ...but we'll never know now! Will we? LOL!
                    Bubba, so far so good with the .300BO in my rifles. I've killed one buck when I was shooting a supersonic factory load and one with a subsonic factory load. Both were neck shots. I had one doe run off and apparently survive a subsonic shoulder hit. (Caught her on camera weeks later)

I keep one upper sighted in for the subsonic and another upper sighted in for the supersonic handload I'm now using. Both with the suppressor attached are easy on the ears and not cumbersome in a blind nor sneaking through the woods.

Due to your comments, I took a close look at the 6.8 but ended up with the .300BO because of being able to use standard 5.56 magazines and BCG's.

Comment

[QUOTE=PigHunter;n715451]

Bubba, so far so good with the .300BO in my rifles. I've killed one buck when I was shooting a supersonic factory load and one with a subsonic factory load. Both were neck shots. I had one doe run off and apparently survive a subsonic shoulder hit. (Caught her on camera weeks later)

I keep one upper sighted in for the subsonic and another upper sighted in for the supersonic handload I'm now using. Both with the suppressor attached are easy on the ears and not cumbersome in a blind nor sneaking through the woods.

Due to your comments, I took a close look at the 6.8 but ended up with the .300BO because of being able to use standard 5.56 magazines and BCG's.[/QU

Bubba, Always get the rifle you can get or make ammo for. First rule of firearms.

Comment

[QUOTE=jhjimbo;n715454]

Due to your comments, I took a close look at the 6.8 but ended up with the .300BO because of being able to use standard 5.56 magazines and BCG's.[/QU

Bubba, Always get the rifle you can get or make ammo for. First rule of firearms.
                        My Son-in-law had a 300BO which I loaded for both sonic and subsonic and after 4 crippled deer he didn't recover he got rid of it and got a .223.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          I checked the Outfitter ammo out when it first came out but soon forgot about it because I don't shoot copper bullets. The only experience I had with a copper bullet was a buck I shot with a 25-06 with a Barnes Triple shok shot through both shoulders. Deer didn't even flinch, no blood or hair and after circling in the dense laurel I found the buck about 150 yards from where it was shot. When I shoot deerwith my 308 or 300WSM with Nosler Accubonds or Hornady Interlocks they go down on the spot, have never had one take a step shot through the shoulders with my Accubonds or Interlocks. I tell people they run like hell for about a half of step straight down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I checked the Outfitter ammo out when it first came out but soon forgot about it because I don't shoot copper bullets. The only experience I had with a copper bullet was a buck I shot with a 25-06 with a Barnes Triple shok shot through both shoulders. Deer didn't even flinch, no blood or hair and after circling in the dense laurel I found the buck about 150 yards from where it was shot. When I shoot deerwith my 308 or 300WSM with Nosler Accubonds or Hornady Interlocks they go down on the spot, have never had one take a step shot through the shoulders with my Accubonds or Interlocks. I tell people they run like hell for about a half of step straight down.
                            Well Sarge, in over two decades, I've never lost an animal shot with a Barnes bullet. But once shot a buck with a factory loaded Remington CoreLokt that traveled across a creek and up a hill before expiring about 200 yards away. The .30-06 150 grain pierced both lungs at 40 yards, blowing lung material all over the tree that had been behind. Sometimes stuff just happens.

Not that I'm discounting your son's experiences, but I plan to continue to hunt with the .300 BLK. The one failure I've had was entirely my fault and was poor shot placement using subsonic ammo. Just do a web search and you will see review after review testifying that the cartridge is adequate for deer within its range. It's all about shot placement and bullet choice.

Comment

[QUOTE=jhjimbo;n715454]

At the moment, jimbo, I CAN still find ammo. There just isn't a wide selection for bullet weight and manufacturer.
                              Remington, Federal, American Eagle (Federal) and Hornady make ammo.
                              There are also some off brand makers I shy away from like Wolf and TULAmmo.
                              ...and I do have dies.
                              My AR shoots the Speer 90 grain "Gold Dot" bullet into cloverleafs, but finding 90 grain factory (Federal) ammo is nearly impossible.
                              When I can find it, I buy Remington, Hornady or Federal ammo, shoot it up and reload the brass.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Favorite Sausage Seasonings for Venison
                                by Outlaw
                                Gonna be grinding up some of the meat from my deer last Saturday and packaging it as breakfast sausage. Trying AC Legg Old Plantation Seasoning for the...
                                Today, 08:44 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Outfitter advised that I take $2,000 US with me to Africa and pay the rest with my VISA. Turns out I didn't need more than $700 cash (could have got...
                                Today, 08:26 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                by 99explorer
                                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                Today, 07:29 PM
                              • Give them all they need ...
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X