30 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 days

Not that I'm counting, but in just one month we'll be spending the night at the hotel waiting on pick up by our outfitter. It's been 19 months since I booked this trip and a lot has happened since then. Met and married my wife in about the same amount of time seventeen years ago. I turn 52 in a couple weeks. This has been a looooong time coming. Excited? Ya think maybe.....

Lol. Hopefully youve got better control of your shots than you did back then

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
      Lol. Hopefully youve got better control of your shots than you did back then
      😎
      No shotguns involved, married seventeen years but been together almost nineteen. Boy's fifteen.......

Comment

Many times as a young man, I would excitedly wait on an upcoming event. I would say to my dad, "I wish it was *Saturday!" *what ever day the event began
        To which my dad would always reply, "Don't wish your life away son."

He's been gone since 1981, but I often think about how many times I've "wished it was ----!" and wonder if I'd be any younger if I hadn't done all that wishing! LOL!

It always amazed me that the week you had to wait for an event took forever, but the 7 day event was gone in a flash!

Here's to a safe and exciting trip!

Comment

“It always amazed me that the week you had to wait for an event took forever, but the 7 day event was gone in a flash!”

I can’t figure out how workdays drag yet weeks fly by. Has something to do with kids maybe.

I’m not in a hurry really, and there’s plenty of October to enjoy at home first. Starts early with Youth Pheasant season tomorrow. Getting in the field should help, had a good September but it’s not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            “It always amazed me that the week you had to wait for an event took forever, but the 7 day event was gone in a flash!”

I can’t figure out how workdays drag yet weeks fly by. Has something to do with kids maybe.

I’m not in a hurry really, and there’s plenty of October to enjoy at home first. Starts early with Youth Pheasant season tomorrow. Getting in the field should help, had a good September but it’s not the same.
            Got into the doldrums once about an upcoming hunt.
            I was getting the work done, but performance and quality were really lacking.
            After realizing I had missed (way late!) reporting a pretty significant event, I told myself I had to get out of the funk.
            The only thing I could think of was throw myself into my job.
            I literally went to work each day, looking for something to do!
            Reports that normally weren't required until the end of the shift were completed way early, walking inventory completed well before it was requested and stuff that wasn't even my duty* accomplished.
            (*frowned upon in a "union" setting! LOL!)
            But time eventually passed.
            I worked so hard at hunting, I usually had to go back to work to get some rest!

In a "union" setting, vacation has to be requested and is assigned in seniority order.
            Every year, I requested opening day of deer season, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
            Every year, my vacation was assigned in February, March or April!
            Fortunately, as all the older heads burned up bits and pieces of their vacation, I could shift my vacation forward.
            In fifteen years, I NEVER missed a deer season opening day!

Comment

fitch270, as I get older, I sometimes think they take some days out of the week.
              Yesterday was Monday.
              Today is Friday and tomorrow is supposed to be Saturday! I can tell right now, tomorrow is going to be Sunday!
              Whole patches of days seem to slip by unnoticed!

Comment

I try to not get worked up anymore.
                Hunted a couple decades....opening day ritual. Now i just skip the bow opener and wait til halloween.

Save what little vac i have for prime time

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  I try to not get worked up anymore.
                  Hunted a couple decades....opening day ritual. Now i just skip the bow opener and wait til halloween.

Save what little vac i have for prime time
                  Good strategy. Unfortunately work gets busy in November, I always save a couple days vac just in case but usually end up giving it back. Take a day off and end up working overtime to catch up isn’t worth it sometimes. Right now I’m looking at five extra days off and trying to figure out when to burn them.
                  Hoping we hit the deer pre rut phase in Montana. Have tags for them too.

Comment

My old job was a 1 st shift gig but so busy I often worked doubles ( sometimes triples). My boss knew so much work waited he would, with approval, allow me to hop a shift. Come in and work 2nd instead of 1st.....if the hunting looked good.

Of course on legit vac days my cell would ring and theyd call me in from the field.

Drove to work still in camo, deer in back of jeep. Another they buzzed me while bloodtrailing. And even on my lone out of state hunt....they were franticly trying to contact me (
                    ​​​​no go ). Some dipstick refused to run a machine i set up, knew more than me, and wiped out 50k in customer parts.... no spares.

My next job there was under a bipolar animal rights fat woman.
                    Yeah, she sentenced more animals to death in maintaining that body stature than all my bullets and arrows combined. Nobody got that big eating brussel sprouts.

Was not a fun time.

​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Now at a diff company i have way less vac time. But work seconds. So can hunt and then go to work....is pretty brutal though. Everythings tougher these days lol. 55 vs 35

Comment

Glad folks get excited, have stuff to look fwd to.

Gun opener about my highlight and its dimmer every year

Comment

Good strategy. Unfortunately work gets busy in November, I always save a couple days vac just in case but usually end up giving it back. Take a day off and end up working overtime to catch up isn’t worth it sometimes. Right now I’m looking at five extra days off and trying to figure out when to burn them.
                          Hoping we hit the deer pre rut phase in Montana. Have tags for them too.
                          You can almost always count on the deer rut starting there the first week of November. The weather and elevation doesn't seem to make much difference either. Elk rut SHOULD be done by the time you get there. Rarely are they still rutting on the opener around third weekend in October. The snow storm going on right now will mean no rut for elk for sure by then.

Comment

I fondly remember those pre-season excitement days. Not so much any more. Guess I've had so much of it that some of the magic has worn off. I didn't even get worked up much about the trip to Africa in August. It was like a business trip. Which is what it was I guess. Hunting and fishing has become my vocation it seems. That and looking after my grandson. What a tough job! Beats dealing with fat bossy bi-polar broads who eat too many brussle sprouts. CD2, you have my sympathy. Time for you to think of retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

You can almost always count on the deer rut starting there the first week of November. The weather and elevation doesn't seem to make much difference either. Elk rut SHOULD be done by the time you get there. Rarely are they still rutting on the opener around third weekend in October. The snow storm going on right now will mean no rut for elk for sure by then.
                              First week of rifle is a little later this year, which might work in our favor for deer. We knew going into it that the elk would be done but I’m hoping the boy gets to hear a bugle or two, even if it’s just half hearted. I doubt with my hearing I’d be able to pick it up unless we were close. Definitely keeping a watch on the weather. Looks like it’s going to warm up a bit, with the rain they’ve had this summer I’m planning on it being slick.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Impeach?
                                by fitch270
                                This is the most useful post in this entire trainwreck of a thread....
                                Today, 10:28 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by 99explorer
                                Here is a link to our progress with the great wall that our president claimed could not be climbed by the best climbers in the world.
                                Those are
                                Today, 10:07 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by FirstBubba
                                Uhhmmm....
                                rock rat,

Vanilla Pudding

1/2 C sugar
                                1/3 C AP flour
                                2 C whole milk
                                3 egg yolks separated...
                                Today, 09:34 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I have to ask myself, "Self," (that's what I call myself, Self.), "do you really care what some liberal hack thinks about a link I posted?"...
                                Today, 08:46 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by rock rat
                                Bubba these are the people who did your polling "The American Action Network is a nonprofit, conservative[4][5]issue advocacy group based in Washington,...
                                Today, 08:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X