No announcement yet.

Take the GoPro or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a GoPro is fine for close stuff, capturing the shooter's actions.
    For the critter or anything past 25 yards.........a reg video camera is needed.
    Hope to run my GP and a reg video camera this hunting season.

However, I don't make movies.

If I have time, sure try to video the kill.
    But I'm not gonna mess w the camera and blow my chance at the deer.

Will sacrifice video for venison.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
      I would not mount a POV on my bow or gun.
      Here is a comparison of GP vs Tactacam
      Thanks, gives me some ideas. I think ours is a series 5.

I'll definitely take it, I'll have opportunity at home to figure it out a bit better.

Comment

I take my nicer camera sometimes but use the cell phone for most quick pics. A small tripod and the Canon's self timer are great for getting better shots for Macro focus and for selfies with the just downed trophy.

One day I got bored while still hunting with the crossbow. I'd been slipping slowly beside a stream for a couple of hours without seeing any game. I came near an interesting beaver dam and thought it would make a good picture. So, I leaned the crossbow against a tree and took off my backpack to gain access to the camera and tripod. At about the 2nd click of the shutter, I heard a noise behind me and there came a doe followed by a fork-horned young buck. Both were legal for the day and there I was, kneeling in the leaves about 15 feet away from the bow! The doe stopped for a few seconds about 20 yards away, and then led the buck off downstream. The wind had been right and I hadn't moved so neither deer was aware I was even there. Those photos cost me a deer that day and the beaver dam wasn't all that, but the event provided a story!

This is the typical thickness of undergrowth along streams in my favorite WMA...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Crossbow still hunt r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	714478
        PSE Crossbow leaning against tree - I've since changed the scope to a lighted reticle. That day it wore a Red Dot
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Crossbow against tree r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	714479
        The beaver dam referenced in the story...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Beaver Dam r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	714480
        Last edited by PigHunter; 09-15-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I've missed several deer dorking around, not paying attention.
          It used to bother me.
          I love belng outdoors, but at the end of the day and I'm happy because I'm not having to deal with a dead deer, I wonder about my priorities! LOL!

Comment

That's my main concern, missing out on something trying to mess with the camera. If it comes down to not having time for it then oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              That's my main concern, missing out on something trying to mess with the camera. If it comes down to not having time for it then oh well.
              I think you'll find it requires a lot of messing around. I took mine to Montana every year but never filmed a thing. If there were a lot of birds it might have been worth the hassle. But it's not likely I could keep it running long enough to film a shot. Too few birds and the battery would run out before I ever found some action. Mine was the little cube thing. Turning its teeny power switch on when the dogs got birdy would require fingertips the size of Thumbelina's. Cold hands wouldn't work. Gloves on? Pffft!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                by 99explorer
                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                Today, 07:29 PM
              • Give them all they need ...
                by jhjimbo
                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
              • Reply to Snapshot
                by FirstBubba
                Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                I've never carried over about $1500.
                Today, 07:27 PM
              • Snapshot
                by jhjimbo
                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
              • Reply to Snapshot
                by PigHunter
                "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X