Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africa Adventure

Off to Africa. Any Questions

Leaving tomorrow for six weeks in Africa. Anything special I am supposed to bring back? Trip is a little too long for this old man but it is the last adventure. Mentioned before taking a 416 Rem Mag and a . 6.5 x 284. Mainly an extended buffalo hunt. Old Mbogo or Nyati better look out for this old man

Comment

Be sure to bring yourself back in one piece.
      You don't want to be the last soldier killed on the last day of the war.

Comment

Have fun!
        Come home safe!

Comment

It will go fast, enjoy every second.

Comment

I have enjoyed Ontario’s comments regarding his South African trip which prompts me to take a note book this time. My plane leaves at 4:40 tomorrow afternoon, first stop Dubai then Dar Es Salaam.

Comment

Best wishes for safe travel and successful hunting!

I have some questions:

What's your bullets of choice for the two rifles?
              Factory loads or hand loads?
              Do you have any customization of the rifles, like special recoil pads, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                Leaving tomorrow for six weeks in Africa. Anything special I am supposed to bring back? Trip is a little too long for this old man but it is the last adventure. Mentioned before taking a 416 Rem Mag and a . 6.5 x 284. Mainly an extended buffalo hunt. Old Mbogo or Nyati better look out for this old man
                Interesting gun choices. My lodge owner was dumping his .416 Remington for the Rigby I brought over for him. It's getting hard to find cases let alone ammo. The 6.5x284 Norma is a target gun (maybe the best thousand yard cartridge). Surely you won't be hunting buffs with that? Won't find any of those at the corner store either.

Actually, though it was on the list I didn't take my fancy leather-bound journal with me to Africa. Since I was staying in the lodge every night, I only needed my laptop. And even though it fired up fine with new converter I only took the time to jot an email to my daughter twice. I stayed off the forum almost entirely except one message to you. The stories I have posted since coming home are from memory. But then I was only there for a week. Still, it is surprising I can recall so much detail. Not sure I can remember what I had for dinner last night. Dinner at home is not such a memorable event anyway. Perhaps the first time I ate a TV dinner as a kid it was a memorable event for a while but not so much these days (I do remember Mom traded in a bunch of S&H Green Stamps for a set of TV trays just for the occasion - gad that must be sixty years ago!). Anyway, I wouldn't have brought my laptop but I knew I needed to do some banking along the way. Acquired a loadable US dollars debit card from my bank to pay the outfitter and the card had to be loaded a bit at a time. That experiment turned out to be a never ending nightmare. Always read the fine print. Fortunately a backup VISA came to the rescue the morning I left. My bank felt so bad about the whole thing they dumped $250 in my chequing account after I got home. Guess I should write up that episode so no one else makes the same mistake.

The down side to taking a journal, electronic or paper, is the time required to record stuff is time away from more memories around the fire or at dinner table. Or sleep deprivation afterwards. Hunting is why I'm there and I don't want to be tired before the day even starts. Finding enough time is a balancing act and for me keeping a journal comes out on the short end.

Comment

Ontario,
                  i wire the primary nonrefundable funds in advance and settle the balance by wire at the end. My bank does this for free. I take quite a bit of US cash for tips and odds and ends, African countries love our greenbacks and usually make special deals if I use them. Decades of using this procedure and no problems so far, knock on wood. I have been in some pretty dicey country. I have preferred the 416 Rigby for decades. This trip, thought I would try something different as I have to store my firearms over there for a while. Was planning on using it for charging Oryx. The 6.5, well told Dave Petzal I would give it a try. I have taken all African game so there is nothing I am burning to harvest. Just will not take any low percentage shots. We will see. Over the decades have successfully used a wide variety of cartridges. Kindest Regards. Also take a couple credit cards
                  Last edited by Happy Myles; 09-10-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

if my rifles do not show up or do not function, I borrow. I only take a couple boxes of ammo for six weeks, that should be enough.

Comment

Just joking!

Comment

Pig hunter,
                        the 416 will be using 400 grain TSX bullets. The 6.5 will be using 140 grain Swift A-Frame. Both careful handloads shooting under and inch at 100. I, and many professionals, have had great success with the TSX. The Swift bullets have always killed well. Both rifles are custom from the ground up and both topped with Swarovski scopes
                        Last edited by Happy Myles; 09-10-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks Happy Miles. I'm currently working up some loads for the .308 using the 150 grain TTSX and hope they'll do well on game.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                            Ontario,
                            i wire the primary nonrefundable funds in advance and settle the balance by wire at the end. My bank does this for free. I take quite a bit of US cash for tips and odds and ends, African countries love our greenbacks and usually make special deals if I use them. Decades of using this procedure and no problems so far, knock on wood. I have been in some pretty dicey country. I have preferred the 416 Rigby for decades. This trip, thought I would try something different as I have to store my firearms over there for a while. Was planning on using it for charging Oryx. The 6.5, well told Dave Petzal I would give it a try. I have taken all African game so there is nothing I am burning to harvest. Just will not take any low percentage shots. We will see. Over the decades have successfully used a wide variety of cartridges. Kindest Regards. Also take a couple credit cards
                            I could do a global money transfer from my bank at no charge but only to their account in local currency and the lodge wanted US dollars. I took three credit cards plus two loadable debit cards (that turned out to be a bust). I had two thousand in money belt per lodge owner's suggestion. That turned out to be twice as much as I needed for gratuities, etc. My first experience with money belt and I usually forgot I had it on. Quite comfortable.

I was surprised (downright shocked) at the distance I was shooting over there. Both the closest and longest shots I'll undoubtedly ever make. As I said, shooting off those sticks was a whole different ball game. I adapted well.

Comment

My long flight from Los Angeles to Dubai got a whole lot longer. We had a fuel pump failure and diverted to Vienna where we sat for a couple hours while Emirates got a new plane ready for us. Now am sitting in the Lounge waiting for a flight to Dar Es Salaam in a few hours. 2:30 in the morning here, I am too old for this.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad