Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I have, but it wasn't a hunt! LOL!
    You made my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

You made my point.
      You have no point, Honk.
      Slaughtering livestock has absolutely nothing to do with fair chase hunting.

Besides, I believe you said you hunted "ranches" in Africa where animals were keep behind high fences for breeding purposes.
      ?????
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

You have no point, Honk.
        Slaughtering livestock has absolutely nothing to do with fair chase hunting.
        Guess that depends on your definition of fair chase hunting. I don't see much difference between shooting a heifer in the corral and shooting a bear in a bait barrel from a tree stand. It's legal most places and about the only way to harvest critters that need to be harvested but that doesn't change the fact that there really isn't much difference.

Comment

In deference to you actually traveling to the "Dark Continent", I'll just drop this current direction.

Ok, you wouldn't hunt/shoot a "nilgai" antelope.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            Just what determines any animal’s desirability as a hunted species ? Is it size, difficulty, danger, accessibility, table fare, quantity or looks ? Why would some big game animals not be pursued by hunters ? I do not mean to hijack this topic, only wondering why it would be asked is users would hunt a Nilgai. What would make them any different from other game ?
            Absolutely spot on bhr!
            The "nilgai" is an antelope native to India. That a nilgai doesn't have a huge, impressive set of horns doesn't make a nilgai any less a "game" animal due the respect of a hunter.

Comment

"... Regarding the origin of the American Quarter Horse, the breed originated in the 1660s as a cross between native horses of Spanish origin used by the earliest settlers and English horses imported to Virginia about 1610. ..."

While your premise is basically "true", 99, what you're relating to is the early developement of the animal that would eventually become the "American Quarter Horse".

The American Quarter Horse wasn't officially recognized as a "breed" until the AQHA was formed March 14, 1940.
              In the mid 1800's (around 1850), the breed had developed to a point where "cowboys" could recognize a quarter horse by characteristic. Heavy muscles, large jaw, small ears and quiet demeanor.
              They were referred to as "steeldusts" in honor of one of the founding stallions, "Steel Dust".
              Even as the AQHA was being established, horse people in the know referred to them as "steeldusts".

AQHA headquarters is in Amarillo, Texas.
              AQHA registry number one is "Wimpy P-1", bred and raised on the King Ranch.

The "American Quarter Horse" is often referred to today as "America's Horse".
              Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-11-2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

In deference to you actually traveling to the "Dark Continent", I'll just drop this current direction.

Ok, you wouldn't hunt/shoot a "nilgai" antelope.
                You will see from my African day three story coming up that the fine line between what is or is not "fair chase" was a conundrum for me over there. I had already made a personal sacrifice hunting with an outfitter (which I did for the first time two years ago to essentially bail out my brother's boss who had overbooked a goose hunting trip to Saskatchewan). But hunting with a stranger and under his control is the way it's done in Africa. And for good reasons. DIY simply doesn't work over there (or anywhere?) unless you're a local. So I had to be okay with that ... or I didn't go. Don't get me wrong, hunting with a guide can certainly be fair chase. It's just a lot "fairer" to me personally if I go it alone. I have no regrets. Hunting Africa was perhaps the best week of my life. So I bent on my principles just making the trip. Then a unique opportunity presented itself for a very fine trophy at a very good price. But just how much real "hunting" would be involved? The circumstances seemed questionable but the outfitter assured me it would by no means be easy so I agreed ... with some reservation. I wasn't sure if I was bending a bit too far on this one. Turned out to be much more "fair chase" than I expected.

A second opportunity then came up to harvest a spectacular 48" sable again at a very good price. I didn't hesitate to graciously decline that offer. The outfitter had to admit it would probably only amount to shooting a fish in a barrel. He never really expected me to accept but threw it out there anyway. That bull would look good (actually VERY good) on his website but I'd never be very proud of it. Some other slob horn hunter has undoubtedly bought it by now. I'm fine with that. When my time comes for sable I'll be happy to take a marginal bull ... but only if I have to work for it. Having a story to tell is more important to me than the size of the horns. Which is the point of the nilgai question. Walking down a road, setting up the sticks, and shooting some dumb probably habituated animal standing in the open less than fifty yards away and looking at the shooter just wouldn't be much to remember. Not for anyone who has really experienced memorable hunting. I'll pass. May be your idea of exciting and that's fine. Not mine though.
                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-11-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

"... Walking down a road, setting up the sticks, and shooting some dumb probably habituated animal standing in the open less than fifty yards away and looking at the shooter just wouldn't be much to remember. ..."

Unless you were actually there, your presumptions are just that ... presumption.

Comment

"... Walking down a road, setting up the sticks, and shooting some dumb probably habituated animal standing in the open less than fifty yards away and looking at the shooter just wouldn't be much to remember. ..."

Unless you were actually there, your presumptions are just that ... presumption.
                    Are you looking at the same video? Either those animals are tame or just real stupid. Certainly not very wild.

Comment

“Either those animals are tame or just real stupid. Certainly not very wild” !! And thus presumably not worth hunting.

The same thing can be said about some women, but does that mean they should not be slept with ? And to quote 99, just saying !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                        “Either those animals are tame or just real stupid. Certainly not very wild” !! And thus presumably not worth hunting.

The same thing can be said about some women, but does that mean they should not be slept with ? And to quote 99, just saying !
                        Shoot them if you want but in my book it's not really "hunting."

Comment

How about this?

“It’s about the only way you can do them,” said Edwin Bowers, director of field operations for the federal tick eradication program. “You can’t hunt them on the ground successfully; they’re extremely wary and fast, and you can’t get close to them.

It is from a link I posted in comment #5 from the L.A. Times.
                          Last edited by 99explorer; 09-11-2019, 11:46 PM.

Comment

OHH, I can see your point and I have no argument against it. BWT being said, with much of the technology in the field of hunting today, can we say ‘it is really’ hunting. Has the word hunting actually been erased from the “purpose’ ? We are now capable of shooting an animal at distances far exceeding it’s natural ability to protect itself, with equipment in special seasons far from that which the season was set aside for, and many other gadgets at our disposal !

Comment

Hmmm, wild animal.

One on 1500 acres with no hunting pressure.
                              One on 600 with controlled pressure.
                              Or one on 60 acres with hunters all around year after year?

I've not been to Africa, and am not from Canada, but have watched a lot of African hunting videos and find many to be rather funny, the dress, the guide, shooter, camera man and 2 or more trackers (plus others).

They get pretty close (yeah I know how cameras change distance appearance) and shoot critters off of tripods.

Not my thing.

Private ground animals here might be comparable.....shopping with a bullet.

The King ranch critters may be wild, they may be somewhat conditioned to people.
                              Dunno, wasn't there.
                              Do know vids are edited so we don't see folks screwing up or taking forever to see a critter, much less do any stalk.

I see most videos as commercials, not hunting videos.

Want to see real hunting vids?
                              I watch these..........

on Youtube

The Hunting Public
                              Whitetail Adrenaline (trailers there, bought a couple DVDs)
                              Leatherwood Outdoors

and some fantastic scenery, little to no talking.............

Path films NZ

Pop a beer and watch the latter...............stunning.

Comment

I drove by a private hunting place one. Fenced, deer bred for monster racks.
                                Got out of truck and tried to take a pic w my cell phone camera.........was within 50 yards of a 170" typical. This, after bow and gun season had ended (was MZ season).
                                Drove 100 yards and had three 150 class just look at me.

Disgusting.

Pretty animals.

Livestock IMHO.

Shooting one would be a sin.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  My eldest started life as a jailer.
                                  Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                                  "I'm tired of getting beat...
                                  Today, 06:00 PM
                                • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                                  Today, 04:02 PM
                                • Reply to Racism ??
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                                  Today, 05:57 PM
                                • Racism ??
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                                  09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                                • Reply to Racism ??
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                                  Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X