Would you hunt a "nilgai"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you hunt a "nilgai"?

These hummers can go as much as 700 pounds, 4.5' at the shoulder and over 6' long!

https://youtu.be/i9XsSFyhtJY

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    These hummers can go as much as 700 pounds, 4.5' at the shoulder and over 6' long!

https://youtu.be/i9XsSFyhtJY
    I'll pass. Not a very pretty animal. Greater kudu can also go as much as 700 pounds and five feet at the shoulder. They are a helluva handsome critter. Gemsbuck are slightly smaller and I believe they can be hunted in New Mexico. Much prettier animal than these obviously stupid Texas high fence clunkers. I didn't see much real hunting in that video.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I'll pass. Not a very pretty animal. Greater kudu can also go as much as 700 pounds and five feet at the shoulder. They are a helluva handsome critter. Gemsbuck are slightly smaller and I believe they can be hunted in New Mexico. Much prettier animal than these obviously stupid Texas high fence clunkers. I didn't see much real hunting in that video.
      Yes sir, oryx can be hunted in New Mexico.
      Nilgai are now free range in South Texas. They aren't all "high fence". The King's Ranch isn't all "high fence" and they have a wide variety of other antelope.

What those guys were doing was exactly what your PH did with you. Spot and stalk. It just wasn't in Africa.

The Big Bend area of Texas has a free range, huntable population of aoudad. Awesome hunt, awesome creature.

Comment

Yes sir, oryx can be hunted in New Mexico.
        Nilgai are now free range in South Texas. They aren't all "high fence". The King's Ranch isn't all "high fence" and they have a wide variety of other antelope.

What those guys were doing was exactly what your PH did with you. Spot and stalk. It just wasn't in Africa.

The Big Bend area of Texas has a free range, huntable population of aoudad. Awesome hunt, awesome creature.
        None of the animals stood and looked at us like dumb sheep (except maybe that retarded eland my wildebeest was in love with). And it is "The King Ranch" with no apostrophe. The day I contracted giardia while elk hunting I rode up to a high long ridge for the first (and last) time to see if I could spot anything. By the time I got to the top I was deathly sick. Simply turned around and headed back to camp to start packing up. Along the way I met the outfitter's son with a client. They were watching a small herd of elk up on the mountain across the creek. The young guide asked if I was interested in tagging along in case they shot something and needed help. A small five point was in the bunch but not anything special. The dude was all geared up in traditional buckskin and wool plaid with big teardrop shooting glasses and a spotless Stetson cowboy hat almost half his height. I of course excused myself due to ill health. But the dude insisted. "Do you know who I am?" Well, no. "I'm King from Texas." Hell, seems everyone I've ever met from Texas thinks he's a king. "No, I'm THE King from King Ranch." But that meant nothing to me at that time (my education in US business history was twenty years down the road yet). "Well, Mr. King, I'm barely holding my water right now as it is. If I get off this horse I'll probably fill my shorts with sh*t before my boots hit the ground. You wanna wipe my arse all the way up that hill and back?" Then he asked if I had seen any really big bulls. "Yes. Two in my lifetime and I shot them both." I smiled weakly (very weakly) and rode off. King Ranch left a poor impression on me. Not surprising. It is in Texas.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-09-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I remember reading a long time ago that nilgai were originally stocked on the big Texas ranches as a cheap supply of food for the ranch hands.
          I just did a google search and came up with this very informative article from 2007.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...e29-story.html

Comment

The day I contracted giardia while elk hunting I rode up to a high long ridge for the first (and last) time to see if I could spot anything.
            Did you drink untreated water from a stream?

Comment

I'll try any type of hunt one time, at least I would have when I could have. First hand experience is always the best teacher.(my 2 cents)

Comment

"... "No, I'm THE King from King Ranch." ..."
                Since the King Ranch was started by Capt. Richard King in 1853, I doubt seriously met "THE" King!
                You may have well met "A" King, but not "THE" King.
                In the 50's and 60's the Kleberg family held the King Ranch. Direct descendants of Capt. King.
                The King Ranch is famous for two major developements.
                1) first "breed" of cattle developed in the U.S.. The Santa Gertrudis.
                2) developement of the quarter horse, America's Breed.

Comment

honk-honk's jealousy of TEXAS and Texans is almost on a par with his Trump Derangement Syndrome. Interestingly enough, I just happen to be staying in Kingsville, Texas, and have been passing two very good looking herds of Santa Gertrudis every evening on my way back. Not really sure about the quarter horse being developed on the King Ranch, though.

Comment

Just what determines any animal’s desirability as a hunted species ? Is it size, difficulty, danger, accessibility, table fare, quantity or looks ? Why would some big game animals not be pursued by hunters ? I do not mean to hijack this topic, only wondering why it would be asked is users would hunt a Nilgai. What would make them any different from other game ?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                      honk-honk's jealousy of TEXAS and Texans is almost on a par with his Trump Derangement Syndrome. Interestingly enough, I just happen to be staying in Kingsville, Texas, and have been passing two very good looking herds of Santa Gertrudis every evening on my way back. Not really sure about the quarter horse being developed on the King Ranch, though.
                      The developement of the quarter horse was a concerted effort by many different breeders. Mostly large ranches.

Turkey Track
                      XIT, etc

When ranches still worked cattle on horseback, cowboys only bred the best stock in the remuda.

Once the AQHA was founded, ranchers registered their stallions.
                      Go back in the books to the beginning and you will find where mares without any kind of pedigree but with all the required characteristics were registered simply as, "ranch mare".

"Wimpy P-1" holds AQHA Registration #1 and is double bred "Old Sorrel".
                      He was from the King Ranch in Kingsville, Texas.

King P-234 was bred in Laredo, Texas and is considered the "King of Quarter Horses". He was originally called "Buttons".

​​​​​​​Poco Bueno, another famous foundation stallion was foaled on the Wagner Ranch in Electra, Texas.

Comment

Regarding the origin of the American Quarter Horse, the breed originated in the 1660s as a cross between native horses of Spanish origin used by the earliest settlers and English horses imported to Virginia about 1610.
                        Captain Richard King bought the ranch in 1853. It is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Comment

None of the animals stood and looked at us like dumb sheep (except maybe that retarded eland my wildebeest was in love with). And it is "The King Ranch" with no apostrophe. The day I contracted giardia while elk hunting I rode up to a high long ridge for the first (and last) time to see if I could spot anything. By the time I got to the top I was deathly sick. Simply turned around and headed back to camp to start packing up. Along the way I met the outfitter's son with a client. They were watching a small herd of elk up on the mountain across the creek. The young guide asked if I was interested in tagging along in case they shot something and needed help. A small five point was in the bunch but not anything special. The dude was all geared up in traditional buckskin and wool plaid with big teardrop shooting glasses and a spotless Stetson cowboy hat almost half his height. I of course excused myself due to ill health. But the dude insisted. "Do you know who I am?" Well, no. "I'm King from Texas." Hell, seems everyone I've ever met from Texas thinks he's a king. "No, I'm THE King from King Ranch." But that meant nothing to me at that time (my education in US business history was twenty years down the road yet). "Well, Mr. King, I'm barely holding my water right now as it is. If I get off this horse I'll probably fill my shorts with sh*t before my boots hit the ground. You wanna wipe my arse all the way up that hill and back?" Then he asked if I had seen any really big bulls. "Yes. Two in my lifetime and I shot them both." I smiled weakly (very weakly) and rode off. King Ranch left a poor impression on me. Not surprising. It is in Texas.
                          Sounds like First Bubba would shoot a cow.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Sounds like First Bubba would shoot a cow.
                            I have, but it wasn't a hunt! LOL!

Comment

"... "No, I'm THE King from King Ranch." ..."
                              Since the King Ranch was started by Capt. Richard King in 1853, I doubt seriously met "THE" King!
                              You may have well met "A" King, but not "THE" King.
                              In the 50's and 60's the Kleberg family held the King Ranch. Direct descendants of Capt. King.
                              The King Ranch is famous for two major developements.
                              1) first "breed" of cattle developed in the U.S.. The Santa Gertrudis.
                              2) developement of the quarter horse, America's Breed.
                              I don't doubt the dude was BS up to his eyeballs. He was from Texas after all. Probably had nothing really to do with the King ranch. He was obviously trying to impress me and in my condition that was Mission Impossible.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                by 99explorer
                                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                Today, 07:29 PM
                              • Give them all they need ...
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by FirstBubba
                                Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                I've never carried over about $1500.
                                Today, 07:27 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by PigHunter
                                "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X