What went wrong in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What went wrong in Africa

The first two days in Africa my old Springfield was amazing picking off plains game from 100 to 280 metres in one shot (not counting the second day's charging gemsbuck shot twice in the heart at fifteen and twelve yards). Then everything went to hell when it came time to shoot my last animal, the kudu. As I wrote earlier, we suspected the problem was a bulged barrel caused by a bullet that dislodged when the gun was unloaded and another loaded round pushed in behind it. My gunsmith hunting partner was in town yesterday for medical appointment and we took the gun to the range with a fresh box of 165 Barnes TSX (store was out of Partitions) to make sure. These are loaded with 53 grains of IMR 4350 (using my new ultra-accurate fancy electronic scale/dispenser). On closer examination it does not appear the barrel is bulged but just a slight irregularity in the machining job when my dad turned down the military barrel. Anyway, as you can see from the attached image, it's pretty obvious the left to right reticle is loose in my new Nikon 3x9 scope. I did drop it when trying to put it in the case on the third day but only fell from seat to floor of pickup and I was almost positive the gun landed on a water bottle. Can't believe a minor bump like that would permanently wreck a scope of such good quality. Nikon will be getting this one back. We'll see how good their support is. In the meantime I guess I'll put the old 3x Weaver back on that gun. Those two had a long and productive marriage of almost forty years. Guess they were missing each other. I doubt I'll get the Nikon fixed in time for big game season. After missing a gimme shot on second to last day at a very nice bull we'd been chasing for two days, I threw in the towel with my Springfield and used a beautiful CZ Ebony Limited Edition 30-06 borrowed from the lodge for my last attempt before flying home. At the eleventh hour I finally connected ... on a shot I would NEVER take under ordinary circumstances. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Day two story coming up later today.

P.S.: Corrected the one minor "flyer" to upper left by bringing zero down two clicks. As you can see, everything after that was in a line spread out left to right. And they were not in order either. Impact would jump way right, then back just left of centre, then to further left of that, then to the right of centre. I was rock solid in my adjustable bench shooting bench invention so there was no gun movement or trigger jerking, etc.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-08-2019, 05:02 PM.

Replacing the scope will be a much easier task than replacing the barrel so that’s good news.

I’m not surprised about the scope. Not holding zero seems to be common among many brands with good reputations, at least from what I read on certain websites. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nikon simply replaces yours.

Headed out with the boy and FIL to do some shooting this afternoon. Will check back for more of the story later.

Comment

Life's little ironies: After two lifetimes of service, when does a fine sporterized Springfield rifle decide to malfunction?
      On a once-in-a-lifetime shot at Kudu in Africa, of course.

Comment

Tough luck on the scope, Honk.
        At least you were able to recover and connect on your kudu.
        Congrats.

Comment

The 11th hour miracle has saved more than one of us more than one time. Glad you pulled it out. Will be standing by for the tales of day 2. If you would, please give us a play by play on how well Nikon handles this. As I've said before, first hand equipment write ups from those not getting compensation for their words, is at the top of the reasons I keep coming back here. Even when people disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            The 11th hour miracle has saved more than one of us more than one time. Glad you pulled it out. Will be standing by for the tales of day 2. If you would, please give us a play by play on how well Nikon handles this. As I've said before, first hand equipment write ups from those not getting compensation for their words, is at the top of the reasons I keep coming back here. Even when people disagree.
            Today I sent their support people an email describing what happened with images of target and Cabela's receipt. Asked them how I should proceed. Perhaps I just need to take it to a dealer and exchange it for another? No response yet but it is the weekend. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Today I sent their support people an email describing what happened with images of target and Cabela's receipt. Asked them how I should proceed. Perhaps I just need to take it to a dealer and exchange it for another? No response yet but it is the weekend. I will keep you posted.
              I'm not trying to tell you what to do by any means, but with all due respect, I've found that returning the offending equipment directly to the manufacturer (I'm pretty sure Nikon has a "Customer Service Dept") with a letter of explanation to be much more effective and much quicker.

I had a vertical cross hair break in a Vortex scope.
              Snatched it off and mailed it to them early on a Monday morning.
              Friday, I received an identical repaired (replaced?) scope in the mail.

Good luck with the scope.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Replacing the scope will be a much easier task than replacing the barrel so that’s good news.

I’m not surprised about the scope. Not holding zero seems to be common among many brands with good reputations, at least from what I read on certain websites. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nikon simply replaces yours.

Headed out with the boy and FIL to do some shooting this afternoon. Will check back for more of the story later.
                Burris excels in holding zero, they incorporate double the holding springs. Another feature is their rain/weather coating - best in the business. C.S. is tops, I had a stiff adjustment for power setting. They fixed it no charge. Hats off to Burris.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  I have had a few top shelf Companies do things for no charge. When they do I send them a check and in the Memo say 'toward your Christmas Party, TU."

Comment

Honk, I had a 03-A3 years ago. It had a high serial # and the 2 grove barrel and it shot like a sniper rifle. Got rid of it when I had the scratch to replace all my right hand firearms with left hand models where available. Your target is indicative of mechanical problems. Why would your Father ever feel it necessary to turn the barrel ?
                    If the 190gr bullet was the one stuck it may be because the OCL is different with the 190gr VS the 165gr. The ogive is in a very different place and that would require an adjustment of cartridge COL. JMO Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      Honk, I had a 03-A3 years ago. It had a high serial # and the 2 grove barrel and it shot like a sniper rifle. Got rid of it when I had the scratch to replace all my right hand firearms with left hand models where available. Your target is indicative of mechanical problems. Why would your Father ever feel it necessary to turn the barrel ?
                      If the 190gr bullet was the one stuck it may be because the OCL is different with the 190gr VS the 165gr. The ogive is in a very different place and that would require an adjustment of cartridge COL. JMO Jim
                      The barrel was turned down on a lathe and smoothed as part of the sporterizing process. All cosmetic.

It was 165 gr Nosler. That's all I shot over there through my 06 (Barnes TSX through the borrowed lodge gun). Two 190s went errant at the range so that box stayed unused. Bullets were seated properly. As far as I know anyway.
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-11-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Had two Leupolds bad from the factory. Would not zero. One fixed, one replaced. No problems after that. Have owned about two dozen new and used Leupolds.

Scope failure in the field. 3 times. Twice w a Weaver V9 AO ( fogged ) and one w a Redfield 4x Tracker. There the reticle came loose ( hear it rattle). So i took that one apart and tightened it up, put back together ( yes w Nitrogen.....worked in a lab that had such ). Did not fog and worked fine

The Weaver was redone twice under warranty but after the 2nd time it went bye bye and i got a Leupold. Of course it wasmy first ever, and one of the two bad ones ive had over the last 30 yrs.

While a proven good optic woukd be nice to take on a hunt. Proven from testing or other hunts.....I would not chance anytjing other than a back yard doe hunt to any original Weaver.
                        Last edited by CD2; 09-10-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

More great writing Honk. Thanks much as we are living vicariously through you. What kind of a Nikon was it? They have scopes from cheap to expensive and they aren't all the same quality. I use a Nikon Monarch 3 3.5-10x50 on my favorite 30-06 and it has always worked well without failure. I hope it continues. It's had a few bad falls but has always shot perfectly.

I would take an extra scope to Africa for sure as I've had several damaged in use and one during my flight to the hunting location. I have destroyed a few by dropping them down mountains, out of trees and on the concrete (a coyote ran across the road right ahead of me when I was going about 80. I locked up the brakes and as I hit about 40 mph, I stomped the emergency brake on and bailed out with my rifle. I thought I was almost stopped but apparently was still sliding about 25 mph when my foot hit the pavement. I went end over end as did my rifle. It went about 20 yards bouncing down the highway. I ran and snatched it up for a desperation shot only to discover that the bell was bent down about half an inch and had a big chunk missing).

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                            More great writing Honk. Thanks much as we are living vicariously through you. What kind of a Nikon was it? They have scopes from cheap to expensive and they aren't all the same quality. I use a Nikon Monarch 3 3.5-10x50 on my favorite 30-06 and it has always worked well without failure. I hope it continues. It's had a few bad falls but has always shot perfectly.

I would take an extra scope to Africa for sure as I've had several damaged in use and one during my flight to the hunting location. I have destroyed a few by dropping them down mountains, out of trees and on the concrete (a coyote ran across the road right ahead of me when I was going about 80. I locked up the brakes and as I hit about 40 mph, I stomped the emergency brake on and bailed out with my rifle. I thought I was almost stopped but apparently was still sliding about 25 mph when my foot hit the pavement. I went end over end as did my rifle. It went about 20 yards bouncing down the highway. I ran and snatched it up for a desperation shot only to discover that the bell was bent down about half an inch and had a big chunk missing).
                            It is a Nikon 3-9x40 BDH. Sending it back to the factory today. Neither Cabela's (US or Canada) would do anything. They only stand behind stuff for 90 days. The old 3X Weaver went back on the Springfield as I'm sure I won't get the Nikon back before I leave for Montana at the end of October.

I was travelling light and no room for extra scope. I never had time to replace the scope anyway. I'm allowed to take two rifles but second one was the .416 Rigby that went to lodge owner. We didn't confirm something was wrong with my gun/scope until the evening of second to last day. We had to leave well before light the next morning for our last good attempt at kudu. I would have preferred to take the borrowed gun to the range for a trial first but it was not possible. As you can see, it turned out to be shooting about a foot and a half low at 220 metres (240 yards). At least I could see from the gravel spray underneath the kudu that the gun was on vertically. Though I subsequently made the second shot, it was the ONLY critter of the whole trip that I couldn't call the shot placement after the animal went down. However, given the way it was standing and knowing that the gun's vertical was bang on, I could pretty much predict I would hit the kudu someplace vital if I hit it at all. I admit to being somewhat surprised the bullet didn't hit it lower in the neck or chest. Especially after being told the range of the shot! If the kudu had been standing broadside (as it was when the other PH set up the sticks) and if I'd held on the top of its shoulder as he directed, I'm certain I would have shot underneath it again. He was assuming the gun was bang on at 220 yards and I just missed the first shot but I was 100% certain it was shooting low ... very low. Keep in mind that this PH was not my PH. He hadn't hunted with me before. My guy kept quiet because we were on the other PH's property and he was generously letting me shoot one of his select animals (only three or four bulls a year are harvested on the place). It was not his place to argue with the property owner PH. That would not be good form. Afterwards my guy admitted to purposely not disclosing the distance before I shot because he didn't want to cloud my confidence. "But surely you saw the gun was shooting low the first shot?" "Yes, but I knew you knew it was shooting low. And I have seen you shoot enough this week to know you could adjust accordingly. And you did." For a forty year-old kid, he is very astute. A quality PH. I understand the safari owner has offered him a permanent job as lead professional hunter. He will be a great asset ... if he accepts. However his wife is getting understandably nervous about the direction South Africa is going and there has been talk of emigrating. Hope he sticks around for at least another year.
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-11-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Nigeria perhaps is a bad example for you to choose. It's problems are essentially as a result of its wealth - oil and the fact that Nigeria itself is an 'invention'. The wealth is distributed in a very unequal way, and causes endless friction between the different (some 250) tribes that we cobbled together as a nation to be called Nigeria (a name invented by Lugard's wife). But Nigeria is moving forward. Sure it has profound problems - and it's a case of advancing with continual setbacks. But they have got rid of military dictatorships (unless there was a coup last night !!), do hold elections - and yes they are unsatisfactory - but they will snaptube vidmate word to pdf get better.
                              Last edited by adomanim1; 08-23-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
                                by dewman
                                All right PH! Living up to your avatar. Meat in the freezer. Looks like a good eating size. Christmas ham .🐗👀⚡️=🍖&🥓
                                Today, 06:52 PM
                              • 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
                                by dewman
                                opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year...
                                11-26-2020, 09:14 AM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by 99explorer
                                Bubba -
                                Using your line of reasoning, unless medical examiners have autopsied every single solitary death, there is absolutely no certainty that
                                Today, 06:29 PM
                              • Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by FirstBubba
                                Unless Medical Examiners have autopsied every single solitary COVID-19 death, there is absolutely NO certainty that any of the 200k plus deaths can actually...
                                Today, 05:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X