Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd hunt prep

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

    Your bike set up sounds like it would be just the thing for getting back in quick, but I think I'd give it a trail run first. Could mess up your day if it didn't work or you might find some tweaks to improve it.
    Good suggestion. I've used the bike successfully for scouting public land behind gates and it helped to quickly cover ground. However, when trying it for hunting, it was cumbersome from the start. My backpack didn't balance well on the rear rack and kept slipping to one side or another. Carrying the rifle across my back was uncomfortable and would have been a hazard during a possible crash.

    My bike has no suspension and I was reluctant to strap the gun to the frame for concern about damaging the scope with all the vibration. I got so frustrated that I returned to the SUV, stowed the bike, and walked in.

    That's why I started exploring means to attach the game cart. And I'll carefully choose the firearm next time. The area is thick, with most shots at 40 yards or less. The choices:

    > Handgun only... either the .45 Colt single-action or the .357 Mag double-action
    > Pump shotgun with 20-inch rifle-sighted barrel and Foster style slugs
    > .45-70 single-action broken down and placed in a backpack

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PigHunters Bike and Trailer.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	712502

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

      Good suggestion. I've used the bike successfully for scouting public land behind gates and it helped to quickly cover ground. However, when trying it for hunting, it was cumbersome from the start. My backpack didn't balance well on the rear rack and kept slipping to one side or another. Carrying the rifle across my back was uncomfortable and would have been a hazard during a possible crash.

      My bike has no suspension and I was reluctant to strap the gun to the frame for concern about damaging the scope with all the vibration. I got so frustrated that I returned to the SUV, stowed the bike, and walked in.

      That's why I started exploring means to attach the game cart. And I'll carefully choose the firearm next time. The area is thick, with most shots at 40 yards or less. The choices:

      > Handgun only... either the .45 Colt single-action or the .357 Mag double-action
      > Pump shotgun with 20-inch rifle-sighted barrel and Foster style slugs
      > .45-70 single-action broken down and placed in a backpack

      Click image for larger version

Name:	PigHunters Bike and Trailer.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	712502
      Neat looking setup there, pighunter!
      Far out and groovy, dude!
      A big old 'Bama whitetail on that cart and you ain't gonna need but the first 3 or 4 of those 21 speeds! LOL!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

        Good suggestion. I've used the bike successfully for scouting public land behind gates and it helped to quickly cover ground. However, when trying it for hunting, it was cumbersome from the start. My backpack didn't balance well on the rear rack and kept slipping to one side or another. Carrying the rifle across my back was uncomfortable and would have been a hazard during a possible crash.

        My bike has no suspension and I was reluctant to strap the gun to the frame for concern about damaging the scope with all the vibration. I got so frustrated that I returned to the SUV, stowed the bike, and walked in.

        That's why I started exploring means to attach the game cart. And I'll carefully choose the firearm next time. The area is thick, with most shots at 40 yards or less. The choices:

        > Handgun only... either the .45 Colt single-action or the .357 Mag double-action
        > Pump shotgun with 20-inch rifle-sighted barrel and Foster style slugs
        > .45-70 single-action broken down and placed in a backpack

        Click image for larger version

Name:	PigHunters Bike and Trailer.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	712502
        Every time you mention your bike, I think of Patrick F. McManus's tale, "My First Deer, and Welcome to It." Not exactly a how-to for hunting with a bike, more of a cautionary tale.

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks Bubba, as usual you are probably right. in that case I would probably just walk the whole rig out and hope my old body could handle the effort. Here's a Bama deer on my previous cart, without the bike. The terrain was steep along the logging road and going uphill required pulling a few steps and resting. That deer was about as big as they get here and took up a lot of space.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	9 Point 2016_12_30 on cart r.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	712509

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

            Every time you mention your bike, I think of Patrick F. McManus's tale, "My First Deer, and Welcome to It." Not exactly a how-to for hunting with a bike, more of a cautionary tale.
            LOL, Indeed! Here's a link to McManus telling his tale...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKEgtappZg

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

              Good suggestion. I've used the bike successfully for scouting public land behind gates and it helped to quickly cover ground. However, when trying it for hunting, it was cumbersome from the start. My backpack didn't balance well on the rear rack and kept slipping to one side or another. Carrying the rifle across my back was uncomfortable and would have been a hazard during a possible crash.

              My bike has no suspension and I was reluctant to strap the gun to the frame for concern about damaging the scope with all the vibration. I got so frustrated that I returned to the SUV, stowed the bike, and walked in.

              That's why I started exploring means to attach the game cart. And I'll carefully choose the firearm next time. The area is thick, with most shots at 40 yards or less. The choices:

              > Handgun only... either the .45 Colt single-action or the .357 Mag double-action
              > Pump shotgun with 20-inch rifle-sighted barrel and Foster style slugs
              > .45-70 single-action broken down and placed in a backpack

              Click image for larger version

Name:	PigHunters Bike and Trailer.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	712502
              On even ground that looks like it would have some advantages, only concerns I’d have would be mud and downgrades.
              I’d also go with the 45/70 in the pack.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                LOL, Indeed! Here's a link to McManus telling his tale...
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKEgtappZg
                That was awesome PH! I had no idea he did standup, I’ll have to check the rest out later. The boy will get a kick out of it as well.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

                  That was awesome PH! I had no idea he did standup, I’ll have to check the rest out later. The boy will get a kick out of it as well.
                  I'd forgotten about his live telling of that story. His voice inflections, antics, and timing was great! Will share it with Pighuntress tonight 👍

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Honk, I got the message that was stuck in my inbox preview to delete. I got my original question and your answer to open in one screen - then they both deleted. FYI, if you get the yellow background and white letters, just highlight everything and they are easy to read. Jim

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      "Top Notch Weed"?

                      I don't think so, Scooter!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        "Top Notch Weed"?

                        I don't think so, Scooter!
                        LOL, wrong thread FB!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

                          LOL, wrong thread FB!
                          I ain't opening THAT insanity! LOL!

                          Comment

                          Welcome!

                          Collapse

                          Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                          If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                          And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                          Right Rail 1

                          Collapse

                          Top Active Users

                          Collapse

                          There are no top active users.

                          Right Rail 2

                          Collapse

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          • Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                            by FirstBubba
                            My eldest started life as a jailer.
                            Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                            "I'm tired of getting beat...
                            Today, 06:00 PM
                          • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                            by FirstBubba
                            How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

                            https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                            Today, 04:02 PM
                          • Reply to Racism ??
                            by jhjimbo
                            99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                            Today, 05:57 PM
                          • Racism ??
                            by jhjimbo
                            Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                            09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                          • Reply to Racism ??
                            by jhjimbo
                            Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                            Today, 05:50 PM

                          Right Rail 3

                          Collapse

                          Footer Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X