Binoculars for Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    Great points, Happy, about loaning your knife and the international electric adapter. Loaned my prized Puma once in Angola, and it came back looking like a saw blade in less than an hour. Hard lesson, but never again!
    The electronic adapter is a cheap but necessary item, I think I used four different plug types just in traveling from Texas to Nigeria, and sometimes the plug types are not the same even in the same African country.
    Okay, I just added plug adaptor to the list. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Tipping is neither an art or a science, more hit or miss. One thing for sure everyone prefers geeenbacks. However, some PHs and outfitters prefer to tip support staff at the end of the season. Some further define distribution by telling them how much you have left for them but no distribution until later date. One advantage of this method is there may be people you never see behind the scenes working their butts off who are very deserving. The disadvantage is you do not know if they really got their share. Of course, you can always walk up to one on his own and quietly give a little extra. If you are in a government preserve you may be required to have a government scout who may tell you bluntly up front what his fee is. On occasion I will give them extra. Your PH is a different issue, he or she will prefer cash. At the close of long, tough safaris in 4th world west African countries, crisp, new, unfolded, 100 bills consecutive serial numbered are often worth more than their face value. Rumpled bills scrawled with phone numbers worth less. However, in South Africa any green backs are fine. For a guideline, I start at one hundred a day then go up or down depending on how I feel the trip went let your conscience be your guide. It is an inexact science. A year from now you will not remember what you left.
      Last edited by Happy Myles; 05-06-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Bought a pair of Steiner "Champ" binoculars tonight: 8x22 and comes with a nylon case that goes on belt. Turns out the local sporting goods place actually had quite a selection hidden behind the counter. I tried on several but had difficulty with double vision due to screwed up left eye. Anything made by Bushnell, large or small, just didn't work with my eyes. Not at all. Some of the better Steiner didn't quite work either. Seemed the smaller diameter/magnification had less problems for me. One pair of higher quality Steiner (10x30?) were very nice and only $150 Canadian but just a bit too bulky for what I want. I liked the Steiner "Predator" also 8x22 (I think) and small but they didn't seem to work any better for me than the "Champ". Predator has some kind of coating (green looking) that's supposed to make game stand out better. They both looked about same brightness to me. For twice the price I couldn't see any point. I'm sure these will work fine. At least they seem to work with my goofed up eyes which is a plus. I think I like the idea of having the binocs on my belt rather than around my neck. If I fall on them, I'm only out sixty bucks.

Comment

I don't use binoculars much for hunting. About the only time they are close at hand is on the boat.
          BTW, what are you taking for a camera ? Batteries, charging, SD micro chips, ??

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I don't use binoculars much for hunting. About the only time they are close at hand is on the boat.
            BTW, what are you taking for a camera ? Batteries, charging, SD micro chips, ??
            Only taking my point-and-shoot digital camera: a Canon "PowerShot SD1300 IS" @ 12.1 MegaPixals. Good enough for what I need and I can carry it in my pocket. The crappy attached photo of the camera was snapped with my flip-phone. Guess you can see why I don't want to rely on it! The leather case I picked up at Bentley luggage store in the mall. Some kinda of change purse I guess but the camera fits into it just right.

Someone already suggested international voltage adaptor and that's on the list. I'll probably take the 4MB chip in the camera and an additional 16MB chip in the GoPro. Not sure if I'll take the GoPro or not. Maybe. It's been something of a disappointment. Action has to be pretty much point blank or it's useless.

I never used binocs for hunting. Almost always just scoped the animals. But that's not going to work in Africa where I'm always behind the PH. He would not care for gun barrel waving around his head.

P.S. I should add, I bought that camera with charger, cables, and manual at Salvation Army Store a couple years ago for $35. It was essentially brand new. It's a great place to look for them. Also the pawn shops. Everyone is constantly upgrading that stuff so it doesn't move real fast. So generally it's priced very cheap.
            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 05-16-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
              I do not use a case for binoculars. I just sling them under my arm and they stay where I put them. If in heavy cover, or crawling on my belly, or climbing steep rock, I slide them around to rest on my back until I need them from the handier position under my left arm. Good quality binos are quite sturdy and bad weather does not incapacitate them. In fact, Swarovski instructions indicate if they get dirty take a shower with them. A leather waist case is to clunky for binos, it has been tried. For a mono, suit yourself. Think around neck then stuck in a chest pocket might bemy ip birthday wishes tneb handier.

Even here in North America it would be safer if you use something other than your rifle scope to get a better view of game.
              Last edited by lolamopa; 07-07-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                One item on the safari outfitter's list of stuff to bring is binocs. Most of you know that as a Westerner I always eschewed binocs as extra weight I didn't want to deal with. Also, with my bad left eye, they don't work well (invariably causes double vision no matter what I do to attempt adjustment). In my blissful ignorance I sent an email to the outfitter explaining that I didn't have binoculars because I typically scoped game in wide open spaces of Montana and Ontario. He replied that I really didn't need to be much concerned about anything on the list EXCEPT binoculars. Then for something to do one evening I toured a bunch of Youtube safari videos. Well, that explained it! Clients follow the PH and very closely. If he spots something and decides to glass it, he sure as hell doesn't want the client's gun barrel waving around his head as he spots with his scope. Duh! I promptly explained to the outfitter that I typically hunt alone and apologized. He thought it was funny (or at least conveyed that impression).

So I need some glass. I don't want anything bulky because this is a spot and stalk hunt. The kudu in particular are in rough country. I would rather not have something bulky dangling around my neck while climbing mountains and a cross-chest bra strap holster setup is less than appealing in warm country where I prefer good ventilation. So something fairly small would be my preference. The outfitter suggests 10x30 or 10x40. This will likely be my only trip to Africa and binocs are not terribly useful for bird hunting here so I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash for something that will more than likely be gathering dust after I come home. But I don't want some cheap junk either. Suggestions welcome.
                What about the bib style that hold them close and then when needed allow you to lift them into position ? You did not say when you leave so what ever you get I suggest you wear and use them a lot to get used to them, My choice would be 8X50 and just use a flat top pole to stabilize. I have some Zeiss 8X20 compact that I carry in a shirt pocket and leave the cord around my neck. I seldom use bino's unless I am on some unfamiliar territory. I will see if I can get a pic of the binoc.. Notice these have a horizontal rotating disc for focus.
                Practice with your adjustable eye piece and see if you can get a clear image. Focus with just the good eye (close weak eye) and then look with only the weak eye and only rotate the eye piece (don't touch focus) and see if it has enough adjustment to give you a clear image in that one eye. If so, then your image should be merged using both eyes and be in focus.. You probably know all this. As far as make, I am not knowledgeable of what is available in today's market. Google 8X50 and 10X50 binocs and see what comes up. Optics Planet.com and Natchez Supply are two places I would check and I would always ask for discontinued, demo's and refurbished for good prices. Jim

Honk, all my binoc's have only one adjustable eye piece. So, with good eye I focus on an object with the fixed eyepiece. Then, without touching focus, I adjust the other eyepiece to the same object. The eyes merge at that point.
                Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-06-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

What about the bib style that hold them close and then when needed allow you to lift them into position ? You did not say when you leave so what ever you get I suggest you wear and use them a lot to get used to them, My choice would be 8X50 and just use a flat top pole to stabilize. I have some Zeiss 8X20 compact that I carry in a shirt pocket and leave the cord around my neck. I seldom use bino's unless I am on some unfamiliar territory. I will see if I can get a pic of the binoc.. Notice these have a horizontal rotating disc for focus.
                  Practice with your adjustable eye piece and see if you can get a clear image. Focus with just the good eye (close weak eye) and then look with only the weak eye and only rotate the eye piece (don't touch focus) and see if it has enough adjustment to give you a clear image in that one eye. If so, then your image should be merged using both eyes and be in focus.. You probably know all this. As far as make, I am not knowledgeable of what is available in today's market. Google 8X50 and 10X50 binocs and see what comes up. Optics Planet.com and Natchez Supply are two places I would check and I would always ask for discontinued, demo's and refurbished for good prices. Jim
                  See below: I have already purchased a pair of Steiner 8x21 "Champ" binocs. Also you will see in the previous dialogue, I have a problem left eye resulting from multiple retina detachments (and the silicon band around that eyeball). Stronger binoculars cause double vision that cannot be corrected.

I am well aware how to adjust binoculars. Given the gross disparity between vision in my eyes, it's been imperative. Close the eye behind the diopter adjuster (ring adjustment ahead of one eyepiece) and then adjust the focus wheel between the two lens barrels till the open eye comes in focus. Then close that eye, open the other eye behind the diopter adjustment ring and adjust till that eye is in focus. Then open both eyes and spread/close the two lens barrels until double vision is eliminated. Then binocs are set for your eyes.
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-06-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I will be stalking animals and often in rough country (especially for kudu). I do NOT want to be bound up with one of those bra style holsters. Prefer to have loose clothing so air can circulate. It will get warm by mid day, sometimes into the seventies. Yeah, all the PHs wear them but those guys have their binocs up and looking constantly. Some of the fellas in the videos are fairly "stout" and looking at the overhang around those straps, I conclude they are probably not very comfortable. Happy concurs. These Steiners came with a belt holster and I think that will work just fine. I have removed the neck strap so it's not dangling and getting caught on stuff. I'm making a short wrist strap to attach at one of the neck strap eyelets. That way I can pull it out of holster quickly and securely.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo

Practice with your adjustable eye piece and see if you can get a clear image. Focus with just the good eye (close weak eye) and then look with only the weak eye and only rotate the eye piece (don't touch focus) and see if it has enough adjustment to write my essay today and give you a clear image in that one eye. If so, then your image should be merged using both eyes and be in focus.. You probably know all this. As far as make, I am not knowledgeable of what is available in today's market. Google 8X50 and 10X50 binocs and see what comes up. Optics Planet.com and Natchez Supply are two places I would check and I would always ask for discontinued, demo's and refurbished for good prices. Jim
                      Hi Jim,

Would you recommend Zeiss 8x50? I'd be grateful for any pics of the binoc. I'm also checking now the comparison between10x50 Zeiss vs. Ross Stepmur and Hensoldt Dialyt.

Comment

Scott, I would go to somebody like OpticsPlanet.com to see what is currently available. My binoculars are 8X20 except my Marine Image Stabilized. I also have 16X50 for bird watching.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Red Dot's
                          by PigHunter
                          Jimbo, I've used a red dot scope on my crossbow and it was great in low light at the short distances I needed (up to 50 yards). However, the dot washed...
                          Today, 10:10 AM
                        • Red Dot's
                          by jhjimbo
                          What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential....
                          Today, 09:41 AM
                        • Reply to Red Dot's
                          by fitch270
                          I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them,...
                          Today, 09:48 AM
                        • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          They can also create organs right now with 3d printing. Dr. mentioned that on Tucker show.
                          Univ of Pittsburg has been growing organs for years...
                          Today, 09:44 AM
                        • Are You Ready For This ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                          Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X