Factory Ammo Misfires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Ammo Misfires

How often do you get misfires from factory ammo? I've had two in the last two years. The primer is dented but no "Bang". The ammo is Winchesters Deer Season XP, .270 Winchester. What do i do with the bad rounds?

I have not experienced very many failures to detonate from factory ammunition. The most I have experienced were with .22 rim fires. One in a .380 ACP, and one or two (out of several thousand rounds) in .223, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .30-30, .30-'06, .338 Win Mag, 8 m/m Mauser, .375 Winchester, and .375 H&H. I seem to recall that the misfiring ammunition was a Federal load in .22-250, but that was several years back.
    I would check to see how much indentation was in the primer, and possibly have someone else try to fire them out of a different rifle, that made deep indents. If there is adequate indentation in your primers, I would send them back to the appropriate department at Winchester with a letter of explanation, but probably not expect too much from them. There could have been faulty primers, or failure to properly indent, or several other causes of failure.
    I would also have my firing pin spring checked for any possible weakness, and probably change brands of ammunition.

Comment

I have only had some .22lr fail and some old, 100+ year old military surplus squib. Once I loaded some .450Marlin and I was overly vigorous seating the primers. Pulled them apart and seated primers with 'normal' pressure and they were fine.
      Besides the firing pin spring there is a gauge to check the firing pin protrusion. Another possible FTF is the headspace. IF the cartridge can jump ahead when struck by the pin, the primer may not fire.

Comment

My son had a dud last fall when shooting at a doe. Hornady American Whitetail ammo. Keeping the round until we shoot the rest of the box up, any others and I'll call them about it. One in a million no big deal, but a couple in consecutive boxes could mean qc issues they should know about. Besides you pay for full boxes.

Comment

In the old days when my dad reloaded we encountered this a lot with CCI primers. Same when I reloaded shotgun shells with CCI. At least one dud per box.

Always try to fire duds a second time. Sometimes that will be enough to make them detonate. Shotshell reloaded without powder still has enough poop from primer alone to spit the shot out the barrel (but usually not the wad). What about rifles? Anyone encountered this reloading?

I have experienced many Federal trap loads and a few field loads the last several years that don't fire. Seems to be a regular occurrence with that brand at the club. This year I had one Winchester 3" goose load that wouldn't fire. Primer was so hard it wouldn't dent even after repeated attempts. My buddy tried firing it through his Beretta 400 and it was also a no go. I threw it back in the trees. Not very smart I guess. Hopefully there's no forest fire there in the near future.

Comment

Over the years I have had two win mag rifle primers missfire I have only ever had one factory round misfire and it was a 223 load. It was a round that is made for the ar-15 chambered in 223 in a bolt gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
              In the old days when my dad reloaded we encountered this a lot with CCI primers. Same when I reloaded shotgun shells with CCI. At least one dud per box.

Always try to fire duds a second time. Sometimes that will be enough to make them detonate. Shotshell reloaded without powder still has enough poop from primer alone to spit the shot out the barrel (but usually not the wad). What about rifles? Anyone encountered this reloading?

I have experienced many Federal trap loads and a few field loads the last several years that don't fire. Seems to be a regular occurrence with that brand at the club. This year I had one Winchester 3" goose load that wouldn't fire. Primer was so hard it wouldn't dent even after repeated attempts. My buddy tried firing it through his Beretta 400 and it was also a no go. I threw it back in the trees. Not very smart I guess. Hopefully there's no forest fire there in the near future.
              By my records I have loaded 30,000 CCI primers without a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

By my records I have loaded 30,000 CCI primers without a failure.
                I have probably loaded 20,000 rounds in the last 45 years and have never had a misfire with either CCI, Federal, Winchester, or Remington primers. I haven't fired a factory round other than my 22 Hornets for over 40 years, If I do get a box of factory rounds for whatever reason, usually new caliber, I pull the bullets dump the powder and load them to my liking.

Comment

I've had a few misfires from factory loaded centerfire ammo, all Hornady (both American Whitetail and Superformance). The only misfires I've had from reloaded ammo were some loads I did for a friend's rifle. Turns out his firing pin was all caked up and when we fixed that, the problem went away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I have probably loaded 20,000 rounds in the last 45 years and have never had a misfire with either CCI, Federal, Winchester, or Remington primers. I haven't fired a factory round other than my 22 Hornets for over 40 years, If I do get a box of factory rounds for whatever reason, usually new caliber, I pull the bullets dump the powder and load them to my liking.
                    Our problems with CCI primers were before I went in the Army (1971) and I know my dad's deer hunting buddies were also having trouble with duds. That winter just before I was inducted a CCI primer hung fire and almost took my arm off when I ejected it. Shotgun primer duds were so frequent that I didn't think anything of it and ejected for the third shell automatically to get the hen, having dropped the drake of the pair with first shot. Just as the chamber opened it went off, blew the side out of the shell, and the elbow off my parka coat. Lucky it only grazed the coat. I seem to recall some powder burns to eyebrow and eye irritation (no glasses back then) but nothing serious fortunately. No. 2 lead would have maimed or killed me had that shell come out and done a rotation. We never loaded CCI primers after that, not for rifle, pistol, or shotgun. As I recall some time later CCI merged with someone else (Speer?) and quality control improved dramatically. Their insurance premiums probably dropped considerably too!
                    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-04-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Our problems with CCI primers were before I went in the Army (1971) and I know my dad's deer hunting buddies were also having trouble with duds. That winter just before I was inducted a CCI primer hung fire and almost took my arm off when I ejected it. Shotgun primer duds were so frequent that I didn't think anything of it and ejected for the third shell automatically to get the hen, having dropped the drake of the pair with first shot. Just as the chamber opened it went off, blew the side out of the shell, and the elbow off my parka coat. Lucky it only grazed the coat. I seem to recall some powder burns to eyebrow and eye irritation (no glasses back then) but nothing serious fortunately. No. 2 lead would have maimed or killed me had that shell come out and done a rotation. We never loaded CCI primers after that, not for rifle, pistol, or shotgun. As I recall some time later CCI merged with someone else (Speer?) and quality control improved dramatically. Their insurance premiums probably dropped considerably too!
                      Some of my family won't even look at handloaded ammo due to issues that where had back in the 70's early80's. I noticed looking back that every component was imr powder, cci primers, remington brass and speer bullets. Today I use imr, hodgdon, nosler, berger, speer, sierra, remington, winchester, hornady, cci, federal and the only thing I have had any issue with is some winchester magnum rifle primers that could possibly be my fault. I bought thise primers afew years back and forgot them in my truck over night in sub zero weather. I think that was the trouble there anyways after two misfires I discarded them completley.

Comment

Three times stick out in my mind. All different guns. This year .243 Winchester ammo at a doe. Two years ago, 12 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR turkey ammo at what would have been my first Merriam. about Eight years ago..different 12 gauge with a turkey load at a coyote. I'm sure there have been other rounds at the range, but these three I vividly remember.

Comment

I’ve only had a few factory rounds fail to fire.
                          PMC .308 Win and Hornady .30-06. Needless to say I haven’t bought any of those since.. probably case headspace issues.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                            Today, 10:41 AM
                          • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                            Today, 06:43 PM
                          • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                            by buckhunter
                            Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                            Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                          • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                            by Solitario Lupo
                            So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                            Today, 06:20 PM
                          • Peripheral Vision
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                            Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X