Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you applying for any tags this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

Fitch, where are you flying into? Spokane?

in WA even with the multi season tag, limit is still one animal. Elk hunting success rates here are pretty low except on some draw hunts. Deer numbers where I usually hunt are way down and quotas have been cut. I changed my Colorado deer app from point only at the last minute for 3rd Rifle deer after my landowner buddy invited me to hunt with him then. If I don’t draw deer I may be able to get a landowner voucher from him if he draws his usual number.

Good luck in Big Sky!
    Yep, flying into Spokane the day before and staying overnight, the outfitter picks us up at the hotel. I've looked into flights but won't buy tickets until the tag is secured, going to be a long couple weeks.

Comment

Fitch, it is not looking very good out there. This winter just won't give up. I heard the other day on the news (before the last storm) that early surveys showed the Yellowstone elk herd down 23% from 2018. Not surprising. I walked to the top of the ridge my buck was laying on last fall (mid November) and saw my brother trying to negotiate a drift on the lee side of the opposite ridge that was already well above tops of the fence posts! If you don't draw maybe it won't be such a bad thing. I figure next year things could only get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
        Fitch, it is not looking very good out there. This winter just won't give up. I heard the other day on the news (before the last storm) that early surveys showed the Yellowstone elk herd down 23% from 2018. Not surprising. I walked to the top of the ridge my buck was laying on last fall (mid November) and saw my brother trying to negotiate a drift on the lee side of the opposite ridge that was already well above tops of the fence posts! If you don't draw maybe it won't be such a bad thing. I figure next year things could only get better.
        Maybe we'll just have to work harder to make it happen, but that's ok. I decided to go with an outfitter for logistic help not a sure thing anyway. If it doesn't work out it will be a good excuse to do it again!

Edit: Drawing is supposed to be next week, but I have no clue when they'll post the results. I'm assuming I'll be able to use my ID # to check online, any idea when that's possible?
        Last edited by fitch270; 04-16-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Maybe we'll just have to work harder to make it happen, but that's ok. I decided to go with an outfitter for logistic help not a sure thing anyway. If it doesn't work out it will be a good excuse to do it again!

Edit: Drawing is supposed to be next week, but I have no clue when they'll post the results. I'm assuming I'll be able to use my ID # to check online, any idea when that's possible?
          Not sure about how that works. Last year I wanted to go fishing in April when I was in Montana looking after grandson during my daughter's taxidermy school. I "draw" for a package deal special "Come Home to Hunt" combination deer/bird/fishing license. They never get enough applicants so it's never really a draw and I could actually buy a leftover over the counter when I get there but it would mean going to a regional office first. I prefer to be prepared to be on the ground hunting as soon as I cross the border from North Dakota so I do the official draw. Anyway, getting something to fish with while I was there last spring before the license was printed up and mailed off to my home here required the local office in Missoula using their hookup to confirm I actually made an application and then they went ahead and printed me a "replacement" non-resident fishing license free of charge to hold me over there till I got back home. Very pleasant and accommodating folks in that office. Now that I think about it, they printed me up the replacement license before the draw, but as I said, the draw was a sure thing anyway. They just needed to be sure I had paid the fee. As I recall the combo license was waiting here when we arrived second week of May.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 04-16-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I really enjoy the OTC archery elk tag. A bit of a challenge but that's what it's all about.

Comment

Montana draw results are up, my F-I-L and I both drew NR General Big Game combos! 😁 Just six months to go!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Montana draw results are up, my F-I-L and I both drew NR General Big Game combos! 😁 Just six months to go!

Congrats !! My first thought is that you have safe travels on this hunt πŸ˜€

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Congrats !! My first thought is that you have safe travels on this hunt πŸ˜€
                  Appreciate that!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad