Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you applying for any tags this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

I would love to find some public land if I could by a deer or elk tag. I did not think montana would be easy to get so I never looked into it.
    It's fairly easy for ME to get a deer or elk tag because I'm a former resident and my brother still lives there. For you it would be a different story. Deer would be easy enough to get a tag but fairly pricey. Elk would probably take a while to draw. I'm not up on the usual non-resident licensing regs as I'm a special case. Perhaps Fitch can give you a better perspective since he is in the process of getting his license there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

It's fairly easy for ME to get a deer or elk tag because I'm a former resident and my brother still lives there. For you it would be a different story. Deer would be easy enough to get a tag but fairly pricey. Elk would probably take a while to draw. I'm not up on the usual non-resident licensing regs as I'm a special case. Perhaps Fitch can give you a better perspective since he is in the process of getting his license there this year.
      From what I’ve learned this year Montana has allocated 17,000 Big Game combo tags (elk,deer,small game, fishing + all the other necessary permits) for a number of years, up until 2017 they had more tags than applicants. Last year everyone with a preference point drew, some (500?) with no points did not. You can buy a point for $50 when you put in for the draw, which I did this year. Had I known I’d bought one last summer as well just for extra insurance. Based on previous years I should be set but you never know. With the point and online fees the price was a bit over $1160. Nice thing is the boy gets the same tag as a youth over the counter once I have mine, and it’s half price. He’s also getting to hunt with me for free with the outfitter I booked with.
      Last edited by fitch270; 03-13-2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

From what I’ve learned this year Montana has allocated 17,000 Big Game combo tags (elk,deer,small game, fishing + all the other necessary permits) for a number of years, up until 2017 they had more tags than applicants. Last year everyone with a preference point drew, some (500?) with no points did not. You can buy a point for $50 when you put in for the draw, which I did this year. Had I known I’d bought one last summer as well just for extra insurance. Based on previous years I should be set but you never know. These tags are statewide, not for individual units. With the point and online fees the price was a bit over $1160. Nice thing is the boy gets the same tag as a youth over the counter once I have mine, and it’s half price. He’s also getting to hunt with me for free with the outfitter I booked with.
        Well, I think that may be a bit misleading. Though those non-resident big game combo tags are theoretically good statewide, many if not most of the districts in the state require drawing a special tag to hunt (especially bulls). Residents have to draw too. I'm not sure if any of those districts limit non-resident applicants vs residents but it wouldn't surprise me. The point-buying thing for those draw tags has got to be somewhat scandalous and I don't expect it will last much longer. It's better if rich and poor are on the same playing field. The wild game belongs to everyone. I don't like seeing it available to the highest bidder.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-13-2019, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Well, I think that may be a bit misleading. Though those non-resident big game combo tags are theoretically good statewide, many if not most of the districts in the state require drawing a special tag to hunt (especially bulls). Residents have to draw too. I'm not sure if any of those districts limit non-resident applicants vs residents but it wouldn't surprise me. The point-buying thing for those draw tags has got to be somewhat scandalous and I don't expect it will last much longer. It's better if rich and poor are on the same playing field. The wild game belongs to everyone. I don't like seeing it available to the highest bidder.
          You are correct, we must have been on at the same time as I had just edited that out. Tags are for general units, I'd misunderstood that.

The preference point thing is silly, $50 to up chances on a $1100 tag at time of purchase? I could understand if they allowed you to buy one a year in advance of a planned trip.

Comment

Opal will also turn twelve soon. Still in very good shape for her age. I was amazed to watch her in the park yesterday tearing around like a youngster ... an no ill effects today it seems. She is starting to lose her hearing though. Fortunately she knows the routine well enough that it shouldn't be a big problem this fall ... if I decide to hunt her. She's to the age now where she's getting kinda indifferent about it. Much of the passion has cooled. Opal does enjoy it more if I leave the rambunctious youngsters in the rig and hunt her alone. Last fall she got the only daily limit of roosters I've shot in last two years. That was a special day. I think I wrote about it on here. It is hard watching them slip away on us. We've been down that road so many times but it never gets easier. Harder I think.
            I had both Labs at the Vet on Tuesday. Brave just has hearing loss and some Old Dog Syndrome but the nearly 7 yo Scout is in good shape and dropped a little weight which is good. Hoping there is a 13th season for him. He still has the motivation to retrieve just not the wheels. He did make a couple of 300 yard retrieves so his eyesight is still good. Never misses a swimming muskrat, either. He does struggle climbing out of steep banks these days. You are right; it gets harder every dog... S

Comment

What are the odds of getting a PA Elk tag ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Not being a Penn. resident, I maybe should not answer this Jimbo, but if is anything like here in Mich., the odds would not be good. Since hunting in Col., I have not had any interest in hunting elk in my home state, thus have not personally attempted to draw, but persons I know have stated they have entered the drawing for 6-7 years without success. We have over 40,000 applications for 200 licenses, probably have better odds being struck by lightening !

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Well just tonight I found out the odds are fairly good but you have to hire a guide. I have to do some checking into that part. I will not pay a guide in my home state. We do have some very nice trophy bulls though.

Comment

This is a pa elk that was in the game news mag.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                      Well I am definitly going to be doing some checking. I should drive montana this year and scout some land, then plan next year.
                      My wife and I may be traveling out west this summer too. We have not decided where yet though......

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad