Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you applying for any tags this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

    Very nice. Using the 7-08?
    Since the kid is doing most of the hunting (and I'd kind of hate for him to ding up my M 70), I think we'll take his .308. I'm working up a load for him, using the 150 grain TTSX. I've got it shooting 1 3/4" groups at 200.

    Comment


    • #17
      General deer, antelope, late season cow/calf elk and will probably get an OTC counter general elk tag as well.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post
        General deer, antelope, late season cow/calf elk and will probably get an OTC counter general elk tag as well.
        Are the first three draw tags for specific units or general licenses? I spent a week in the Bighorns a couple years ago chasing chukkars, ran into a lot of antelope and some mule deer, including one that appeared to be better than average. Might try going back with a rifle someday.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

          Are the first three draw tags for specific units or general licenses? I spent a week in the Bighorns a couple years ago chasing chukkars, ran into a lot of antelope and some mule deer, including one that appeared to be better than average. Might try going back with a rifle someday.
          I don't remeber all the differences for residents and non residents but for me the general deer is not a draw (anything General can be bought over the counter by residents) tag and I can hunt deer anywhere in the state as a Resident on a general tag. If I remember correctly for a Non-Resident a general deer tag is a draw tag, also your general deer tag would confine you to a region. Region Y for instance consists of the units in the east side of the Bighorns and adjacent units below the eastern section of the range.

          Antelope tags are unit specific and draw tags. I draw for my local unit which, with the number of tags available vs the number of people who apply, is a guaranteed thing. Probably would not be as easy for you, though.

          Late season cow calf (type 4 Antlerless elk) is also unit specific and a draw. I've been able to buy leftover type 4 tags over the counter, though, but doubt if a Non-resident would be allowed to do that or if there'd be be any leftover NR tags even if they could. The tag's rifle season opens October 15 and closes on the end of the year.

          My suggestion to you is give Wyo Fish and Game a call. They've been friendly to me when I have questions and would be able to give you clearer answers on the intricacies of hunting here as a Non-resident.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post

            I don't remeber all the differences for residents and non residents but for me the general deer is not a draw (anything General can be bought over the counter by residents) tag and I can hunt deer anywhere in the state as a Resident on a general tag. If I remember correctly for a Non-Resident a general deer tag is a draw tag, also your general deer tag would confine you to a region. Region Y for instance consists of the units in the east side of the Bighorns and adjacent units below the eastern section of the range.

            Antelope tags are unit specific and draw tags. I draw for my local unit which, with the number of tags available vs the number of people who apply, is a guaranteed thing. Probably would not be as easy for you, though.

            Late season cow calf (type 4 Antlerless elk) is also unit specific and a draw. I've been able to buy leftover type 4 tags over the counter, though, but doubt if a Non-resident would be allowed to do that or if there'd be be any leftover NR tags even if they could. The tag's rifle season opens October 15 and closes on the end of the year.

            My suggestion to you is give Wyo Fish and Game a call. They've been friendly to me when I have questions and would be able to give you clearer answers on the intricacies of hunting here as a Non-resident.
            Thanks, wasn’t fishing for opportunity just curious as to what a typical season involved for you. Sounds like you have great options.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

              Are the first three draw tags for specific units or general licenses? I spent a week in the Bighorns a couple years ago chasing chukkars, ran into a lot of antelope and some mule deer, including one that appeared to be better than average. Might try going back with a rifle someday.
              HF ! Let me know if you ever want "company" chasing those chukars 😀😀
              Not fishing either, just offering assistance !

              Comment


              • #22
                I am going to apply for a pa elk tag this year.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

                  I followed your post on the ‘fire about the Colorado permit application changes, it was an interesting read. I blame you for leading me there btw, hadn’t heard of the site until you mentioned it sometime back. Can’t undo it now, lol.

                  You get another lab? It’s been awhile since you’ve mentioned waterfowl and I seem to recall you having just one.
                  Hi Fitch,
                  I’ve had my girl Lab for 6 years. She was very slow to start as she is very stubborn. My constant companion old man Lab is 12 and slowing down. Things will never be the same when he’s no longer hunting. I have to pace him these days and only hunt him maybe 3 or 4 days a week during the season. The little girl is a machine and will hunt more than I want to. The old boy and I are both about worn out! Happy Trails

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    Applied tonight for Montana and I'm getting stoked for this fall. Who else is making plans?
                    I sent off my check for Montana deer/bird/fishing combination yesterday. It's a done deal as they never get enough applications for the draw quota. I talked with my brother quite a while about it last week and decided not to apply for elk/deer combo. That would be $700 US. It's not the money and I'm sure to have enough time to hunt elk this year as it's doubtful the bird population will improve much with the winter they've had. He shoots an elk every year and that's really enough. His party has expanded and seems to be a lot of shooting elk just to shoot them. Kinda sad how it's worked out since Mike was originally the connection to the landowner and the rest of the crowd has spawned from one fella he took down with him originally. Anyway, I've never worked well with the merry band type of hunting. Heck, he has enough trouble putting up with me for a few days deer hunting. Anyway, it's not what I'd really call elk hunting. They often see a couple hundred head in three or four days. It's elk shooting.

                    About the check: The fee for "Come Home to Hunt" deer combo is $335 US which is a pretty good deal. My bird license alone would cost $130 and I believe fishing license is around ninety bucks. A non-resident deer tag for $200 is a steal! Only condition is my brother has to be with me when hunting deer. The bad news is the US funds draft at the bank cost me $467 Canadian!!! Bad timing. March break drives up the cost of US money.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                      I sent off my check for Montana deer/bird/fishing combination yesterday. It's a done deal as they never get enough applications for the draw quota. I talked with my brother quite a while about it last week and decided not to apply for elk/deer combo. That would be $700 US. It's not the money and I'm sure to have enough time to hunt elk this year as it's doubtful the bird population will improve much with the winter they've had. He shoots an elk every year and that's really enough. His party has expanded and seems to be a lot of shooting elk just to shoot them. Kinda sad how it's worked out since Mike was originally the connection to the landowner and the rest of the crowd has spawned from one fella he took down with him originally. Anyway, I've never worked well with the merry band type of hunting. Heck, he has enough trouble putting up with me for a few days deer hunting. Anyway, it's not what I'd really call elk hunting. They often see a couple hundred head in three or four days. It's elk shooting.

                      About the check: The fee for "Come Home to Hunt" deer combo is $335 US which is a pretty good deal. My bird license alone would cost $130 and I believe fishing license is around ninety bucks. A non-resident deer tag for $200 is a steal! Only condition is my brother has to be with me when hunting deer. The bad news is the US funds draft at the bank cost me $467 Canadian!!! Bad timing. March break drives up the cost of US money.
                      Honk you sound real familiar about montana, is there any public land to hunt?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by JasonT View Post

                        Honk you sound real familiar about montana, is there any public land to hunt?
                        Jason!! You must not follow his posts that well, he has hunted every square mile of public land looking for pheasants!!
                        I think he even does it in like 3 or 4 days 😎
                        He does take naps to get through the day though 😋

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

                          Jason!! You must not follow his posts that well, he has hunted every square mile of public land looking for pheasants!!
                          I think he even does it in like 3 or 4 days 😎
                          He does take naps to get through the day though 😋
                          I would love to find some public land if I could by a deer or elk tag. I did not think montana would be easy to get so I never looked into it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by JasonT View Post

                            Honk you sound real familiar about montana, is there any public land to hunt?
                            Where I hunt there's probably more publicly accessible land than unaccessible land. Montana has tons of federal land: BLM, USBR, USFW preserves. Much of the first two is contained within private ranches (long term leases) but if you can access it without crossing the land that actually is deeded to the rancher, he can't do anything about it. Many of those ranches have joined the state's Block Management program which pays landowners to let the public hunt. Hunters always have to sign in though. Usually it's at a sign-in box on the gate but some require you to sign in with them at the house. The landowner can regulate the hunting too. Example: one guy only allows so many hunters per day in each section of his property. He also only allows 4 point (one side) or larger bucks (but all the does you want). Another rancher has not allowed upland hunting for several years because pheasant numbers are down and his place is high in the hills where snowfall is deeper. Many don't allow hunting in livestock areas and most have closed areas around their ranch complex (though many do not - I remember a few years back one guy berating me for not shooting a monster buck walking past his barn [I didn't have a tag that year]). When you sign in there's maps in the box that keep you on the right property and special instructions are on the back. One thing to keep in mind about Block Management, I have yet to see one that will allow ATVs and many do not allow smoking on the property ANYWHERE! Some ranchers get real nasty about it too. Not that they are on a health kick but rather because that country is typically dry as a bone and windy. A butt dropped can easily mean thousands of acres burned up overnight. Also, no driving off the roads in trucks (though some will allow it to retrieve game, depending on conditions). Again, it's as much about fire control as erosion issues. Catalytic converters get super hot and can easily ignite tall prairie grass. Many landowners have instructions to stay off the roads altogether if they are muddy but few hunters it seems honor that restriction. Really burns me up to see lazy dudes tearing up the guy's place because they're too fat to hunt any other way but out the window of a truck. Two years ago I gave a couple of arseholes from Washington a piece of my mind on that score after they ignored my warnings and drove in on Fred's place anyway. It took them half the afternoon to get back out of there and their truck was a different color. No car wash for 75 miles. That clay would dry to concrete overnight if they didn't make the trip and I'm sure they were too stupid to figure it out. That would teach them! Ranchers and farmers have better things to do than waste time regrading their roads. They'll only do that so many times and get fed up.

                            There's also a ton of state "school land" that's just as accessible as federal land. Also a fair number of state WMAs but most of them are not very big and some aren't managed the best (too much grazing). Seems they all get hit pretty hard in hunting season. The state was aggressively enlarging its WMAs but unfortunate PR problems with some of the acquisitions has cooled things in recent years. And of course there's the vast expanse of US Forest Service land, mostly on the West Side.

                            I believe you can see much of this for yourself by downloading Block Management regional maps on line. Block management areas are denoted in red shade, BLM is yellow, state school land is blue, USFS is olive green I think, WMAs are darker green, and USBR and USFWS preserves are a different shade blue as I recall (not a lot of it). The best thing is to pay the $$$ for the chip to put in GPS that shows the different land ownership as you encounter it. It will also provide the phone number for the private landowners. Takes any guesswork out of where boundaries of accessible land begin and end. I paid for a fancy Montana land use atlas (less than $20) and it is very helpful but not entirely accurate. I have attached an example of two sign-in box maps. On these the BM units are heavy outlined and state and federal land is appropriate color coded.

                            Springerman knows I'm originally from Montana and that I return there every fall to hunt for at least six weeks. I formerly lived and worked in the community where I stay when I'm there now. I was raised on the West Side but it has been pretty much ruined by the Californicator developers. Very sad. Most places on the East Side are thankfully "progressing" much slower. Can't tell you how much it bugs me to go back there and listen to those small town "city fathers" (most of whom are transplants) bemoaning the lack of "growth."
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Well I am definitly going to be doing some checking. I should drive montana this year and scout some land, then plan next year.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

                                Hi Fitch,
                                I’ve had my girl Lab for 6 years. She was very slow to start as she is very stubborn. My constant companion old man Lab is 12 and slowing down. Things will never be the same when he’s no longer hunting. I have to pace him these days and only hunt him maybe 3 or 4 days a week during the season. The little girl is a machine and will hunt more than I want to. The old boy and I are both about worn out! Happy Trails
                                Opal will also turn twelve soon. Still in very good shape for her age. I was amazed to watch her in the park yesterday tearing around like a youngster ... an no ill effects today it seems. She is starting to lose her hearing though. Fortunately she knows the routine well enough that it shouldn't be a big problem this fall ... if I decide to hunt her. She's to the age now where she's getting kinda indifferent about it. Much of the passion has cooled. Opal does enjoy it more if I leave the rambunctious youngsters in the rig and hunt her alone. Last fall she got the only daily limit of roosters I've shot in last two years. That was a special day. I think I wrote about it on here. It is hard watching them slip away on us. We've been down that road so many times but it never gets easier. Harder I think.

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X