Elk Hunt - 30-06 or .270

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

I love my whelen that thing is a hitter. I have not hunted anything big with it but it slams 200 pound whitetails like no other non magnum I have ever shot.
    Yes, indeed. I only shot a couple of deer with my .35 Whelen but have killed a dump truck load of elk with it. From 1989 to 2008, it was my only elk rifle. It’s going hunting this year.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

Yes, indeed. I only shot a couple of deer with my .35 Whelen but have killed a dump truck load of elk with it. From 1989 to 2008, it was my only elk rifle. It’s going hunting this year.
      I figured it was an excelent elk rifle, and todays bullets accurate and hard hitting out to 400 yards, its a win win for me. I shot this deer at 290 yards with my whelen and it slammed him.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lots of great banter here on this thread. I say to the original post. "Find a load that your rifle likes, and buy a case or two of that ammo (150 grain 270 ammo), and practice a lot".
        A lot of practice with your rifle will buy you more killing power than any cartridge you can find. Familiarity and confidence will give you the edge you need if you have to take a shot at more than 200 yards. You are right, the bolt rifle in my opinion is a better choice and you wont be wandering around Idaho looking for your magazine.

If your 270 works for you keep it, use it. Re-barreling your 700 is going to take a gunsmith and a lot of time and money. You could buy another rifle in a caliber you want for less money.
        If your 270 will shoot 1 1/2" or less groups it's good to go. Put a recoil pad on it, (or a synthetic stock with a pad) put a Timney trigger in it. Find a range where you can shoot 300 yards, visit there often. Practice from field positions, over a backpack, over shooting sticks, trigger sticks, whatever.
        Since this is a 2020 hunt, you have plenty of time to work on it. Nikon has a great scope, a pro-staff 3-12 with a BDC reticle (donuts on a string) and they have a ballistics app for your phone that will tell you what range is right on for each mark for any load, factory or handload. This scope is frequently on sale at Bass Pro for around $150. I put one on a 270 I bought in January but a friend liked my rifle too much and offered me too much cash for it so I sold it to him. I was going to take that rifle to Montana to hunt elk and mule deer this fall. That rifle really likes Federal Fusion 150's and that is what I was going to feed it. Federal makes a 150 grain Nosler Partition load as well, it was very accurate too.
        With your arm injury you don't want a 300 Magnum, and muzzle-brakes suck on the range and in the field. Hearing damage is forever, and getting "whapped" in the face by that muzzle blast from a brake will not improve your shooting, or make you enjoy doing it.

Get a good binocular, 8x42 or so,10x is as big as most people can hold steady without a rest. Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss or better. Binoculars will spare you miles of endless walking, and will help you spot game before it spots you. I wouldn't hunt without them.

Lots of people kill lots of elk with rifles in .270 and smaller all the time. Get in shape, shoot a lot, and be ready to shoot when your guide says "get ready".
        Last edited by AlaskanExile; 03-30-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adoyle1237 View Post
          Have any of you ever had trouble with a muzzle break, breaking or bumping the scope? Never used a muzzle break and I know a lot of guys use them now, but I have heard of some guys having scope problems with their muzzle break on their scope as a scope is not designed to get force from the front. No idea how much of an issue this actually is.
          A muzzle brake will not damage your scope. I use them all the time to prevent muzzle rise so I can spot my own long distance shots and to reduce recoil at the range while practicing with big magnums. Do not shoot them without hearing protection on both you and all nearby people. They are loud and they could do permanent damage to fellow hunters that are standing to the side of your shot. I use removable brakes that exhaust gas to the sides and up. I take them off for hunting (unless I am alone) as I can sustain one shot with recoil as long as there is game in the cross hairs.

Comment

I've read every comment here and I've read dozens of books written by various "experts, guides and hunters" who have accounted for hundreds of elk. The most significant advice is consistently "Place your shot in the "vital" (heart/lung) area". The next most common advice is "If you intend to shoot at elk beyond 300 yards, use a larger magnum cartridge".

Other than those two, experts are all over the map. Some have shot hundreds of burly elk with a 250/3000, .270s, etc. while others have used various magnums. Some love long range shots, some hate long range shots. Some like to stalk within 50 yards and some like to perch on a canyon rim and wait. I don't judge and feel you can choose the technique that you enjoy the most. Just realize that your firearm and bullet will need to be up to your choice. Longer ranges shots require lots of practice for near-100% predictability as I'm sure you know.

Either of your two rifles has the potential to kill an elk within the few hundred yards that you intend to shoot. Either of them will produce cripples if they (or you) shoot poorly. I'd take the one that is more accurate and that you can use to place 100% of your shots in an apple at your longest range. If you deliver the right bullet to the right place, you have no worries.

Use a premium bullet, normally a heavier weight than you would for deer. Every hunter seems to have a "best" based on a small sample size but elk don't wear Kevlar and all these bullets penetrate tough hides and bone/tissue exceptionally well in either caliber. Just don't shoot mono-metal bullets at ranges where they are traveling too slow to expand properly. Elk do have a tremendous resiliency compared to deer. They may not show signs of being fatally hit, even with a perfect shot from a magnum. So be aware of their location, be prepared to shoot again if necessary and be prepared to track well.

Based on your comments, you will do fine when it comes to the shooting part of the hunt. Bow hunters have a knack for patience and precision on the shot. My best to you on your hunt... enjoy!

Comment

I've had 7mm mag and .300 winmag and liked em just fine.
              But they were nice walnut stocked rifles and sold to fund the purchase of something bigger (.338 winmag)......which never happened.

Like the .35 Whelen.
              Wouldn't mind a MkV in .257 for spontaneous combustion of coyotes or zapping deer out yonder.
              All sorts of stuff is cool.

So what did I buy for deer and maybe elk...........my general big game rifle?
              A plastic stocked .30-06.

It's a .30 caliber.............same as a .300 magnum. Man do I get friggin' tired of people referring to cartridges as calibers.

Personally I'm not really recoil shy. Can shoot well from field positions and offhand.
              My worry is not in being able to deliver a good shot.

And who in the heck buys a rifle (in what chambering) based on what the hell they find at Walmart?

Cost? Gas even at today's prices...........way more of an expense than ammo. Then there's time off work, and or missed overtime.

Pinch pennies and p*ss away dollars. Yeeeesh.

Comment

CD2... since I dropped the last comment using "caliber" I just wanted to make sure of a semantic clarification. It is incorrect (and annoying) to refer to a cartridge as a "caliber" but in context of referring to two cartridges of different calibers it is appropriate to refer to the bullets in the cartridges as being of different calibers. In this context, "bullets penetrate tough hides and bone/tissue exceptionally well in either caliber" is dead on right. Bullets in either the .270 caliber or .308 "caliber" penetrate exceptionally well regardless of the "cartridge" in which they are used.

We will educate the world one way or the other and then we can sleep... cheers

Comment

DM, your posts are fine
                  My comment in ref to others here (and elsewhere).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                    Today, 10:41 AM
                  • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                    Today, 06:43 PM
                  • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                    by buckhunter
                    Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                    Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                  • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                    by Solitario Lupo
                    So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                    Today, 06:20 PM
                  • Peripheral Vision
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                    Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X