Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK some of you will hate me, some will envy but here it is. I am going hog hunting for the next four days. They have totally o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK some of you will hate me, some will envy but here it is. I am going hog hunting for the next four days. They have totally o

OK some of you will hate me, some will envy but here it is. I am going hog hunting for the next four days. They have totally overtaken my deer hunting grounds. I have no intention of bringing them home as I am told they have some new kind of disease (not clear on the name) but I plan on shooting them and leaving them lay as they are considerd vermin. What do you guys think? If I use them for anything I was thinking Coyote bait, but I don't know that Coyotes will eat them... Oh well be sure and check in, I'm sure you all have oppinions on what I should do. I'll check in in about 3-4 days. ENJOY YOUR WEEK!!

I don't blame for not wanting to eat them, but hell you might as well not waste them. Coyotes will ANYTHING that's dead even thier own kind. Have as much fun as possible.

Comment

I gotta be honest Brad I have mixed feelings on this one. I mean it is no different then throwing a gar or sucker on the shore after catching it. They are feral animals. On the other hand it is still a life and wasted meat. I haven't heard about this disease, if you find out more info on that I would be intersted to hear about it. Just be careful that in your state that hogs aren't game animals, if they are it might be illegal to leave them. Hunting coyotes over them is a great idea, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't eat one. Lastly, could you take the meat to a homeless shelter or something like that. If you wore gloves I would assume the meat is still edible. Let me know about that disease,sound kinda intersting.

Comment

The reason I posted this is that I like you was taught NEVER to was a game animal, and also that you eat what you kill. So I am Slightly conflicted, but here is the deal these hogs are Wild, Considered vermin here and are in DIRECT competition with my BELOVED whitetail.... I am torn gentlemen, I truely am. But I plan on killing without remorse thise week. These hogs REALLY tear up the ground and eat EVERYTHING a deer lives on. I hate to waste anything, but I see it as saving deer. I will use the carcasess for shooting Yotes though, that's another breed that I truly hate/admire, Its like Raurke said about the Hyenas in Africa, true madmen of the plains that waste no scrap of any animal. I wish not to waste a piece of any animal, even if I just use it for bait for another... :P Have a good week guys!!

Comment

I to have suffered the ill effects of an out of control hog infestation. Hunting the hogs and then using them for hunting coyote sounds like double the fun. Surely this would benefit your deer and turkey population.

Comment

Ya I would use them for coyote bait. I wouldn't just leave them the deer won't come around anymore.

Comment

Brad,
              In the United States, wild swine are known to be infected with pseudorabies in 12 states, and swine
              brucellosis has been detected in 9 states. Pseudorabies is not a human health concern but can and does cause problems in cats, dogs, goats, cattle and sheep.

Swine brucellosis can be a human health hazard. Brucellosis was an occupational hazard for abattoir workers, farmers, and veterinarians. Hunters can reduce their risk of contracting swine brucellosis by wearing rubber gloves while field dressing feral hogs and by cooking the meat thoroughly.

I have killed literally tons of feral swine. My home state is crawling with the beasts and the beasts are crawling with pseudo rabies and brucellosis. We wear rubber gloves when dressing feral hogs and we make sure the pork is cooked to and internal temp of 160 to 170 degrees. No problems! Wild pork is delicious and I would encourage you take home some for the table.

They are very destructive to wildlife habitats and need to be kept in check, which is difficult to do. I have attached a link to the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study concerning feral swine diseases. The site also has much info concerning other wildlife disease issues.

http://www.uga.edu/scwds/topic_index/2004/PseudorabiesBrucellosisFeralSwine.pdf

Comment

shoot them and use them for coyote bait.

Comment

We also have a hog problem. During deer season we would take in our hog and deer to the processor and mix them. But we dont eat all of them. We leave the big ones (boar or sow) over 200lbs. Some people might think thats wrong but when you have hogs come scare your deer off everyday it gets a little old. Plus they dont taste very good. As for the eating the smaller ones I agree with beekeeper a 100-150 lbs sow is always tasty!

Comment

Brad, Beekeeper gave the best response. Use rubber gloves, and if you don't want to do that then take the best porker to a processor. They know what to look for.
                    I realize your concerns but back in the 70's we had an outbreak of something similar in rabbits around here and the recommendation from game biologists then was the same as now, wear rubber gloves.

Comment

Good post, Beekeeper!
                      CPT BRAD, I don't encourage waste but I regard this as pest control. If it was my land and the feral hogs have presented a problem in the competitive environment of the food chain, I'd trim them back, position the carcass for a good shot, and trust the coyotes to come in to take advantage of an easy dinner.

Comment

Those coyotes will love you for leaving them all those hogs, but not when you start shooting them.

Comment

Shoot 'em up!! I hate shooting for no reason too, but it sounds like they are doing a lot of damage to your deer hunting area so it is not really for nothing.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad