Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were moving to Alaska and could only take one big game rifle, what would you take? Make, Model and caliber please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were moving to Alaska and could only take one big game rifle, what would you take? Make, Model and caliber please.

If you were moving to Alaska and could only take one big game rifle, what would you take? Make, Model and caliber please.

Marlin 30/30 336 model. Fast action holds a lot of rounds and will take care of most anything out to 100 yards.

Comment

I dunna about which gun would be the single best, but .30/06 or .243 for caliber.

Nate

Comment

Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger. It will handle anything you come across. Come with good iron sights and Ruger scope rings.

Comment

a Ruger m77 30-06 with a leupold vx-3

Comment

30/30 or .444

Comment

Marlin Model XL-7, 30.06, leupold VX II or III

Comment

cz or remington xcr in 375hh

Comment

remmington 700 .270

Comment

same as rabbitpoice88

Comment

Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .300 win mag or bigger with a 3-12x40 Nikon prostaff scope

Comment

TC Encore in .338 win Mag. Light and fast handling and the 338 with proper bullets has enough oomph for what ever you need it for.

Comment

If I didn't have to buy it I'd take a .338Win or .35 Whelan. As it is, I'd feel pretty good with my '06, but cautious.

Comment

Don’t buy your equipment until you get there, believe or not, the prices are cheaper and you can try before you buy.

First of all, if a guide allows you to hunt with anything smaller than 30 cal and smaller of a cartridge than a 30-06, you need to find you another guide!

As a former Alaskan Resident, the best kill on a real monster bull moose was a kid with a 30-06 with off the shelf 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt®. Knocked that bull dead in its tracks dropped it straight down, no joke!

The best Caribou rifle in competent hands is a 270 with 130 grain bullets.

So you’re asking what did I use? I knew I would be backing up other hunters, so I evaluated a lot of cartridges. I was going to go with the 375 H&H but it lacked the long range I prefer so I settled on the 338 Win Mag and never regretted it. Alaskan guides prefer the Nosler 210 partition in the 338 Win Mag; I used Hornady 225 grain soft points and Nosler 250 grain partitions. My rifle is a Browning A-Bolt topped with a Leupold 40x3x9 VARIX-II. I I recommend Leupold scopes due to the ability to see in low light and the extra eye relief for the recoil.

Bottom line: If you cannot hit MOP (Minute Of Pieplate), that rifle and cartridge combination is not for you and makes a lousy boat anchor!

You might be able to slide a couple rabbits and grouse on the barrel to cook over the camp fire, LOL!!!!

Comment

The best Bear protection guaranteed to work every time is a 22 pistol and a good pair of tennis shoes. Upon contact with a charging Grizzly, shoot your hunting buddy in the ankle and run like HELL!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad