Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When exactly do blacktail, or all deer, shed their antlers and when do they grow back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When exactly do blacktail, or all deer, shed their antlers and when do they grow back?

When exactly do blacktail, or all deer, shed their antlers and when do they grow back?

Now

Comment

They all shed a tdifferent times. Up north its as early as december. A littele south its closer to february. And the south its about march or mid-late february.

Comment

You should now that and if not?

Your not spending enough time out in the woods dar fella!

Comment

Bad answer Clay. Jan Feb and I think they start growing them around June or so. Maybe earlier.

Comment

In the midwest I have seen bucks with velvet antlers starting to grow in May while Turkey hunting. Saw a large buck a guy shot for a doe in Dec. He had 2 bloody pedicles where he had recently shed antlers. The following year I saw a 6 point with his antlers bleached white in April. Both on FT. Leonard Wood Mo. A biologist told me the health of the individual animal has some bearing on when he sheds.

Comment

Yeah del you are right, shedding antlers is an individual thing, there is no hard and fast rule, some drop them as early as December, others as late as March.

Comment

The more healthy a buck the longer he will hold antlers. They begin to grow back almost as soon as they shed. By June in my area you see development.

Comment

I think they usually drop around Jan or Feb and generally begin growing them around May or June.

Comment

May or June!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad