Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third question and I will call this one Super Boomers. Which one do you think is best for hunting or most useful for anything o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third question and I will call this one Super Boomers. Which one do you think is best for hunting or most useful for anything o

Third question and I will call this one Super Boomers. Which one do you think is best for hunting or most useful for anything other than a boat anchor. 454, 460, 475, 480, or 500. I have shot and enjoyed the 454 and 460 but I think anything larger is just making a statement. Once again I want to hear about expansion, knockdown and appropriate game animal these should be useful for.

i have never shot the 460, but my uncle has, and liked it. as for hunting im not much on pistol hunting.

Comment

my dad had a 454 for a short while and didnt like it for some reason.

Comment

In the business of firearms most often everything is a trade off and compromises. This is true with your question concerning the calibers/firearms asked about also.

That said, in my opinion the 460 is "the best for huning and most useful for anything other than a boat anchor."

The 460 S&W for instance will handle all 45 Colt, 454, and 460 S&W mag. For just the fun of shooting and enjoying time at the range I often shoot the 45 Colt. The ammo is not too costly while the recoil is moderate.

I also use the 454 ammo for a "step up" in both velocity and energy when I do not need or want the power of the 450 S&W.

I have hunted with the 460 S&W mag. and taken whitetail deer with same. I also am planning a Black Bear hunt with the 460 which means that I am currently working on a load/round that is adequate for Mr. Blackie at ranges out to 75 yards or so.

As for expansion..... I have taken Whitetail deer at 50 to 75 yards with the Hornaday SST 200grn. round which was devastating.... complete expansion with about a half dozen smaller exit holes on the off shoulder ! This round took out most of the vital organs when properly placed. I don't how you could ask for better expansion or "knock down power".

As for appropriate game animals this should be useful for...... I would not hesitate pursuing all but the large bears (read Brown Bears etc.) using a 460 S&W mag with the proper loads of course.

I hope this helps and good luck !

Comment

I either own or have shot most of these calibers. They hurt my back and give me a headache. That said I think any will work for you with sufficient practice. John Linebaugh told me that he personally prefers the .475 Linebaugh plus he can prove to you why and you will find his proven statements very difficult to contradict.

Comment

Agreed with Sid Lark answer above and A + 1 for you!!!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad