Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK my first of three questions. Which is better for self defense 45 ACP, 9mm, 380, 32? Discuss why you think so and penetratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rezavoirdog, the lack of an external hammer on a glock is not a flaw, it is a matter of personal preference.

Comment

one of the rules of self defense hand gunning: never bring a gun to a fight with a calber that starts with less than a "4".

Comment

s-kfry, that's not much of a rule because going into a gunfight with a .357 magnum would in no way leave you at a disadvantage.

Comment

.45 ACP would probably be your best bet out of the calibers you stated. It holds more power and weight retention. I mean any one of those loads would do damage if placed right. Get some hollow points for any one of those loads and you are looking to do some damage.

Comment

All of these will over penetrate in a normal house built with drywall, but given the choices, I'd go with a 45 and a rapidly expanding bullet.

Comment

I carried several different handguns during my career. When I retired we were carrying S&W Model 4566 Tactical in 45 cal. I was given the firearm upon retirement. I had a Glock 23 .40 caliber that I wore while wearing plain clothes. When I retired I traded it for a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite in 38 Special. .38 Special +P rounds make a more than adaquate concealed personnel defence round and we always had the saying the only gun that will do you any good is the one that you will carry, so keep it lite and comfortable.

Comment

I go with 45 ACP anytime!!!

Comment

You can't beat the power and kinetics of a 45 with modern defense ammon. The 40 is hot and has good penetration and with modern defensive ammo you can avoid over-penetration (see my post on being shot with a corbon 40). The 9mm is a great round in that it is a NATO cartridge and thus you can get it cheaper so if you are on a budget, this may equate to more practice. While a lot of folks argue the merit of the 9mm I see many of these same folks carry a 380 for a pocket gun. If you are using it at home, all things change compared to if you need to carry it concealed. I like a high capacity 45 for the home but the smaller calibers or a ligthweight 45 for carry. Penetration can be controlled by the ammo you use to a certain degree. The modern defense ammo is designed to expand and stop transferring its energy to the body. Avoid full metal aka ball ammo for defense. It will often go right through and out and through the drywall. If you live in an urban area in an apartment building, you have different needs than if you live in a rural area with space. For shotguns, I used to live in a densely populated area in an apartment so I used dove load. At close ranges, it is lethal. Now that I live rurally, I use #4 and 00 buckshot. Mom used to say that "opinions are like rectums (she used a more colorful word), everyone has one adn they are usually full of feces (she used a more colorful word for that too)." Thus, consider all factors including the area you live, where you plan to utilize the gun, what the issues are and how much you are going to practice each month to keep that muscle memory. You are going to practice right?

Comment

.45 ACP!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad