Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK my first of three questions. Which is better for self defense 45 ACP, 9mm, 380, 32? Discuss why you think so and penetratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK my first of three questions. Which is better for self defense 45 ACP, 9mm, 380, 32? Discuss why you think so and penetratio

OK my first of three questions. Which is better for self defense 45 ACP, 9mm, 380, 32? Discuss why you think so and penetration, expansion, and over penetration in homes

as far as carry a carry gun i like a glock 19 9mm. if its is something im going to leave beside my bed or in my car, the bigger the better i would go with 45 acp or even 357mag. as far as 380 its ok, but thats about all. i know 3 or 4 people who carry them and like them, but as far as me, 9mm is as small as i would carry. and a 32 is useless i would rather have a .22 or rocks. and as far as over penetration im not to worried about it in my house, but it can be an issue, but with all the new ammo thats out you can find something that suits your needs.

Comment

.45 ACP is probably second best to .357 for the "one shot drop". However, these calibers of pistol run large and heavy. A 1911 even in Colt's Commander size is still to large for the likes of me. If you are looking for a self defense weapon, for concealed carry, I would have to say a .38 Special snub-nose is my favorite. It is light, versatile and has much better stopping power compared to a 9mm. Like Kolbster said, though, by my bed I would have a .45 ACP hands down.

Comment

Oh, and as far as penetration goes, that also depends on the rounds. FMJ or solid lead will penetrate much more than a hollow point. Keep in mind also, that the 45 ACP is a large bullet with a slow-er (keyword slower with -er emphasized) muzzle velocity than a 9mm and is therefore less penetrating and more damaging.

Comment

45 ACP or 40 S&W

Comment

45 it has the stopping power you need. I dont know about the 380 at all, but I do know it takes twice the rounds out of a 9mm to do what a 45 can.

Comment

9mm fast on the draw.

Comment

.45 if you want them dead.
                9mm or 380 auto if you want them wounded.
                .32 if you want to end up dead.

If you are looking for something that you are hidding under the mattress: 12ga 00 shot.

Comment

I would not want to be the theif who has to stare at the barrel of my 5in. springfield 45acp. With 13+1 rounds its a powerful little package.

Comment

I carry a .40S&W.

Comment

.40 Smith and Wesson bridges the gap between 9mm and .45 ACP. It has the speed of the 9mm and the knock down power of the .45.

Comment

This is my thinking I have a 45, my wife has a 9mm, I have carried a 40 on duty but never liked the compromise between the 9 and 45. My XD will carry nearly as many as my issue Glock 22C with MUCH better results. I have a keltec 32 and hate it.

Comment

I agree 45 or a 40 would be my two choices. We carried the 9 when i was in the military and had always heard horror stories about about it having no knock down power form local law enforcement. But a 9 for your wife is a godd choice i think, thats what i would like to get my wife.

Comment

.40 S&W, check out the new Beretta PX4 Storm Double Action! I have one and it is sweet! The flaw with the Glocks is the lack of an external hammer.

Comment

.40 S&W. It has more knockdown than a 9 and more people can handle it better than a .45

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
                                Today, 01:13 AM
                              • Hunting pants?
                                by fitch270
                                This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
                                Yesterday, 10:22 PM
                              • Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM
                              • What's on your belt?
                                by PigHunter
                                What are you carrying on your belt this season? Here's what I had yesterday for my solo hunt on public land.

Knife - discontinued Browning...
                                Yesterday, 06:03 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think Trump lawyers are having a hard time getting to SCOTUS because the courts are asking for evidence and detail that no longer exists and want more...
                                Today, 12:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X