Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next year I'm hoping to go on an elk hunt. I have never hunted anything larger than a whitetail before and I will be using a Ru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next year I'm hoping to go on an elk hunt. I have never hunted anything larger than a whitetail before and I will be using a Ru

Next year I'm hoping to go on an elk hunt. I have never hunted anything larger than a whitetail before and I will be using a Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem. Mag. What kind of bullet/weight combination should I use?

i would use 175 gr

Comment

Heavy, Nosler Partitian. AlthoughI shoot Barnes TSX for nearly everything and have yet to be disappointed.

Comment

160 Nosler Partition or Accubond. 150 grain Barnes TSX. 150 Grain Swift A Frame. All of the above can be found in factory ammo. Federal has an extensive lineup of 7 mag ammo featuring most of these. Remington has factory loads with the A Frame.

Comment

I agree with kolbster use a 175 grain

Comment

I agree with kolbster use a 175 grain

Comment

In the Rockies shots might be long. My first elk was with an M-77 7 mm Rem Mag and 160 gr. Partitions. I have killed bulls with my Sako 7 mm and the same load but feel that Barnes is equally as good. More recently I have switched to Berger VLD 168 gr at about 3000 fps in the Rem Mag or 3400 fps (yep max load with long barrel) in the 7 mm Ultra. They drop deer, elk, or antelope like lightening struck them. The animal usually just sits down and rolls over.

Comment

anything 150 and up, but i'd lean towards 180's.

Comment

I shot my bull last year with a .30-06 with a 165 grain bullet. I would not go with something much lighter but as a friend told me, don't think you are going to go with a heavy bullet and weigh him down. Shot placement is much more important than bullet weight (as long as you are not hunting with a .22).

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Beekeeper has it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad