Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how far should i take a mule deer on a 30-06

how far should i take a mule deer on a 30-06

As far as you feel comfortable that you can make a good kill shot.

Comment

That depends on your shooting skills.

Comment

I have heard lots of people talking about super long shots. I bought a range pass and the target at 200 yards away is a long way off. I've been hunting for ten years now and I've never made a shot at that distance.

The rifle however I'me sure could easily do 400 yards if you could do your part.

Comment

The .30-06 is capable of taking big game way beyond most shooter's range. Practice,...er, train with it and see how far you can consistently hit the pieplate from. that's your range.

Comment

Shoot any animal as close as you can. Your rifle is certainly capable of long range accuracy and power but the shooters ability is almost always the limiting factor.

Comment

I have to say this is not a good question to ask the public.Everyones personal shooting limits are different and you cannot compare my skill to your skill so to speak. What I might be able to shoot with my .30/06 may be farther/shorter than what you can with yours, it is all dependant on you and your equipment, but to try and help you out:

Get as close as you possibly can, don't take a long shot if you don't have to. The cartridge is lehtal to ranges I'm sure you wouldn't shoot, but the queston is how far can you and your accurately place your first shot into th vitals of a deer. Because in a hunting situation the first shot is the only one that matters. You need to find you and your equipments limits and the only way to do that is get out and start shooting at longer ranges. When you start to miss something the size of a paper plate or something of similar size, then you shouldn't take a shot at an animal at that range.

Long Range is a science and takes specialized equipment and skills to do ethically, and I really don't think everyone should try it. But if you have the right equipment and skills to do so it can be done ethically.BUt no one can decide of you'll take a long shot but you. Just Make sure your best interest is always in the game animals though ok?

Comment

I agree, the primary limitation is the shooter, not the cartridge. Speaking for myself, the .30-'06 will reach out much further than I can accurately shoot, and I've used my Springfield 1903A3 with heavy Douglas XX barrel at 500 yards on 20-inch bullseyes. 150, 165 and 180 grain bullets served me well. I've never taken a shot at game at that distance, but I'm firmly convinced that the .30-'06 will perform accurately and reliably at that distance.

Comment

I am a short shooter, i camt make myself take a shot frome more than 150-175 yds and i get along fine. it is practice for Muzzeloading season. but thats just me and i am not the best shot in the world so i do more stalking and less glassing.

Comment

You practical limitation will be your ability to shoot accurately at varied ranges and to accurately determine range to begin with. The '06 will shoot as far as practical for any game species.

Comment

the cartridge is not the limiting factor here. there are confirmed kills from military snipers at close to 1000 yards. so if the shooter does his part then the round will do its. I call him a shooter because a hunter gets as close as possible to ensure a clean kill. i hold most of my shots under 150 yards.

Comment

The maximum distance for your 30-06 is your ability to hit”MOP” (pieplate) at the farthest range. My favorite Mule deer load in my Remington 03-A3 is a Hornady 130 grain soft point with 54 grains of IMR4895 and it’s deadly on Jackrabbits to Mule Deer out to 700 yards!

Comment

Depends on shooting skill elevation angle wind.

Comment

Everybody's right. From prone, I can put 9 out of 10 in the black on average at 500 yds, but I would not try that hunting. There's no risk of butchering a paper target and causing it pain, and no twitching from excitement while holding your breath to get that bead just right on that buck before he jumps away.

Comment

After Clay's recent comments on that 130 grain bullet, I have been trying them and I am in love....thanks Clay! That baby smokes and seems to hold its accuracy too. I haven't been able to try it beyond 200 yards yet but it might well become my standard deer load. I have no doubt that they will crunch a deer out to 700 yards. I just need some training on that one. I am still working on my 1,000 yard deer training and will probably use the 210g Berger for that. I am using a .300 Dakota for that but am sure that a 180g 30-06 would do the 1,000 shot if I practiced.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                                by 99explorer
                                When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                                Today, 11:11 AM
                              • Abortion Up To States
                                by jhjimbo
                                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                                by PigHunter
                                Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                                Too sexy for your party
                                No way I'm disco dancing...
                                Today, 10:21 AM
                              • TGIF; Party Time
                                by fitch270
                                Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by 99explorer
                                I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                                Not for reasons of public safety,...
                                Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X