Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok same question for Alaska, Where did you go, what did you hunt, and which guide did you use? whater are your best memories and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok same question for Alaska, Where did you go, what did you hunt, and which guide did you use? whater are your best memories and

Ok same question for Alaska, Where did you go, what did you hunt, and which guide did you use? whater are your best memories and how much can a guy plan on spending for a 7-10 day trip? Also Guide phone #s or web pages would be great! Thanks!

What do you want to hunt? If you are a US Citizen you don't require a guide for anything but Brown Bear, Dall Sheep and Mountain Goat.
    You could do a self-guided drop-off caribou hunt for $2500 or so, maybe a little less. Rust's Flying Service in Anchorage (they have a website) can arrange most everything for you (transport, tents, food etc). I have not used them but I know folks who have and claim they are the best. They work hard to put you in country that isn't occupied by other hunters (theirs or another transporter's).
    They have references you may contact.
    A guide for a Kodiak Bear hunt will start about $15000 for a week or that's what it cost in 2006 when I last talked to a guide about it.
    Kotzebue is another place to look for an outfitter/transporter to support a self-guided caribou hunt.

Comment

I lived in AK for 4 years, what are you looking for?

Comment

Clay I want Big Brown, after that anything else would be a bonus. I will eventually go back for a Dall Ram but my first hunt would be Primary Bear, then Moose, Caribu, or sheep. I Really don't know that much about it I'm 3-5 year planning right now.

Comment

I also lived in Alaska. I don't know of anyone close that used outfitters other than for fishing. Most outfitters are based out of Anchorage and then they fly you in by bush plane to the hunting camp. Bear, Moose, Caribou, and sheep will be hunted with more time based on scarcity in area. It is not uncommon to see Anchorage littered with Moose. The last year I was there Anchorage had 323 moose strikes. The average boned out moose yields between 900-1000lbs. If you don't ship/process it all I am sure the local Hunters for the Hungry program in Anchorage would appreciate some meat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad