Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats your side on the big game hunting with dogs(bear and cougar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your side on the big game hunting with dogs(bear and cougar)

whats your side on the big game hunting with dogs(bear and cougar)

Sounds like fun.

Treeing an animal is a good way to get a clean and humane shot and kill. Anytime you are working with a dog has got to be enjoyable.

Comment

Not a thing wrong with it as long as it is legal where you hunt. It also gives you the opportunity to to take a carefully aimed shot. You can also practice catch and release! Any time one gets to run the dogs is fun!

Comment

I have never done it (it is illegal here) but agree with both posts above. Bears are to the point of being overpopulated where I live, and loosing their fear of people. Don't get me started about PETA.

Comment

I am not a fan of using dogs to hunt any animal, I believe it is not a fair hunt. One should used their own skills to locate, track, and make a clean kill. I know it is legal in some states, but I still don't think it's fair to the animal.

Comment

It is almost impossible to find a cougar, let alone pin it somewhere without dogs. They find the cat and get it treed, or on a rock, and you take a good humane shot.

Comment

For cougars it seems necessary to use dogs, they are far and few between enough that the success rate without dogs would be near zero. Bears though have high enough populations in many areas that I don't think it’s really necessary to use dogs. Plus in many state you can still bait bears, which seems a little less traumatic for the animal. I have never used dogs so my opinion is a little uninformed.

Comment

i dont like the use of dog in anything except bird hunting.

Comment

I have never used them for cats or bears but I can still remember when it was legal for deer. Man that was music when you could hear a pack of beagles tearing across the valleys and going out of hearing then coming around the other side of the hill right on top of you! I think that's a VERY traditional way of hunting, very fun, and it will get a youngsters blood pumping as much as any video game that we as hunters now compete with for their free time.

Comment

Knoxt if you think it isn't fair to use dogs you've never hunted behing a hound. As said in an article in last months OutdoorLife "Nothing makes you prouder one minute and more pissed off the next." I've never hunted bigger game but it is my dream hunt to take a cougar behind a pack of hounds till then I'll stick to hunting coons with one dog and I'll be enjoying every painstaking minute

Comment

I agree with "knoxt444" and "kolbster" , it doesn't take much skill to shoot an animal out of a tree!!

Comment

I've hunted long enough to know that the "thrill is not the kill". Whether I'm in my treestand or chasing coon dogs through the woods in the middle of the night it's the pursuit I enjoy. Chasing a cougar through the mountains out West would not only be very difficult but a blast.

Comment

I think dogs should be used for coons. I am from NY and thats all they can be used for. Down in NC now and can not tell you how many times I have had a deer getting in range and a pack of dogs is near by and off goes the deer.

Comment

Couger because you'll have more protection if it comes after you.

Comment

I use to guide cougar with some friends and we used dogs. There really is no other way to hunt them, but it's not as easy as you think. You can still hike mountains from sun up to sun down and not catch the animal. These hunts can still be very physical and demanding. I see nothing wrong with them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad