Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think a 300 or 338 win mag are American Classics and can't be beat by the little short Mags. What do you think? Its good for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think a 300 or 338 win mag are American Classics and can't be beat by the little short Mags. What do you think? Its good for

I think a 300 or 338 win mag are American Classics and can't be beat by the little short Mags. What do you think? Its good for deer on up to bears.

300 and 338 might be good but its hard to get any better then a 30-06

Comment

i like the Marlin 1895 .45/70 lever action and the browning blr in .325 short mag

Comment

I think the old mags are better because they will shoot heavier (longer) bullets faster than the shorts do. More case capacity.

Comment

Good calibers but I think they are both to big for deer. But after deer They are a good caliber

Comment

IMHO, the short mags don't buy you anything so I stick with the old standbys.

Comment

The short mags can be had in a shorter, handier rifle. They don't really offer any improvement in ballistics.

Comment

The short mags represent a scant fraction of an inch shorter bolt stroke. This equates to a slightly shorter rifle with the same length barrel as a standard mag but with less performance especially with heavier bullets. Oddly enough we once weighed about 8 short mag rifles of various brands and calibers and the weighed about a dozen standard mags again of several brands and calibers. The weight difference was maginal. I decided to leave some of my junk from my pockets at home and stick with what I know...the old standard magnums and one Ultra.

Comment

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the .338 & .300 Winchester Magnums. The 30.06 is a great cartridge also.
                  All things are relative when comparing cartridges. There is no argument that the .338 hits haredr than a .300 which hits harder than the 30.06. It is just good old fashion physics.
                  The short magnums have their place and will keep up with the other magnums until you start pushing the heavy for caliber bullets. When that happens, the great American classics are packin' more freight. Research points that out.
                  In other words, a 180 or 200 grain bullet fired from the short magnum will not, cannot, and does not have the same ballistic power as the full size magnums.
                  Despite the masses who will argue, it was never designed to outdo the big magnums. But rather offer magnum like performance in a compact case fitted into a more compact rifle.
                  Like I said, they have their place.
                  I have a battery of .338 win. mags, .300 win. mags, 7mm rem. mags, and one 30.06.
                  If I were to have to give up all but one caliber, I would keep the .338 winnie.
                  It will do anything I need it to do on this continent, from whitetail to big bears.
                  In forty-years of hunting, I have yet to interview any critter that complained of being "over kill" from my .338.

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Or has someone write it. It seems most book deals only net a few million. I think the Obamas got in the single millions.

We don't know what...
                                Today, 09:58 PM
                              • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              • Reply to Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                                Today, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by rock rat
                                OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
                                Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X