Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone started food plots yet, or any other preparations for hunting this fall?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jhjimbo
    replied
    My neighbor plants an array of crops that keep the deer in the area so I don't do anything on my place.

    Leave a comment:


  • amekassa4000
    replied
    Originally posted by rockhound View Post
    Sowed 1/1/2 acre of soybeans and sunflower mixed. Will add gain sorghum to the plot this weekend. The beans and flowers are already at the auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver2 leaf stage.

    Seems like a ways off, but summer flies by and it will be fall before you know it. Who else is getting ready?
    Last edited by amekassa4000; 08-17-2019, 04:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • hahu
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I took the day off as the boy is done with school and my FIL is here. We cut up some maples that I’d cut late last fall for the deer to chew on, then limed and seeded a section of ground I’d previously tilled. After that I broke ground on a new section that I’ll turn over a couple more times for planting later this summer.
    Seems like a ways off, but summer flies by and it will be fall before you know it. Who else is getting ready?
    Hi buddy, to be frank not that sure what shall I proceed with, yea so still planning as of now.


    Regards,
    Hahu Smith https://dltutuapp.com/tutuapp-download/ https://showbox.run/ https://kodi.software/
    Last edited by hahu; 07-25-2019, 03:22 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Picked up a 360 Chrysler engine for my cabin cruiser a couple of weeks ago and need to pull the shot 318 out before salmon start to run. Right now I'm finishing up remodelling an old bedroom into showroom for my daughter's taxidermy business. An awful job! Three layers of wallpaper plus a couple of paint in between to peel off before I can put up new stuff and wainscoting. The main wall is barn board and already done. It will provide a darker background to make the mounts stand out more. Also helps absorb shadows from the spot lights. The other walls will be same wallpaper as adjacent living room (see attached image). Because the wall separating them is not supporting, I will eventually tear it out when Jessie's business gets established and moved elsewhere. Eliminating tht wall will double the size of my tiny living room. So I'm now putting up the same wallpaper/wainscoting motif the showroom to minimize remodelling in the future. Anyway, I'm very tied up for a while. Contemplating buying an O/U since I seem to be shooting a borrowed SKB very well at trap and clays. Not sure I need to kill more birds though. Having trouble getting the stuff from last year consumed. Some old folks at church may be getting care packages tomorrow morning.
    It's been sitting in the back yard covered for about five years. He won't sell the gun to me. It's already willed to his son. I can keep my eye out for a similar one if success is sustained. Shooting it again this afternoon.

    Leave a comment:


  • MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by country road View Post
    I just finished planting four acres of iron and clay peas---got rained on as I was finishing the last row. Now, three days later, they are already sprouting. I still have two more plots to plant, but we have had so much rain that, even though I can easily get the tractor and implements to the plots, I won't be able to get back up the slippery hills. That won't work.


    The only mowing I'm doing is purely cosmetic along the main roads since anything I cut now will be right back in a couple of weeks. I won't be planting my winter plots until October, or maybe even early November, depending on rainfall. Summer gets here early and stays late in SW AL. Fawns won't drop until August.
    I've seen two fawns so far. One with mom in a field about two weeks ago, and one with mom crossing the river last night. The little guy seemed pretty sure of himself; probably wasn't his first crossing, since that spot's got a pretty well-beaten trail coming out of the nearby field. Streams have gotten really low around here, all of a sudden.

    Leave a comment:


  • Outlaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
    Been scouting every chance I get. That’s about as much prep as I can do down here other than shooting practice
    I’m actually going to miss this when I move back to WV and am hunting our farm again. I know the patterns there pretty well, I might have to take a short drive over to the state forest or WMA where I duck hunt and give it a shot for deer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Red Angus
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
    I'll start this weekend if I get time. The seed I'd ordered for a buffer strip was delivered this afternoon.
    The goal of the buffer is to enhance the cover and provide a variety of food sources around the edge of the field so the wildlife eats less of the cash crop. So it is a food plot of sorts, but easier to justify :-)
    The mix has Egyptian Wheat in it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Treestand
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
    I'll start this weekend if I get time. The seed I'd ordered for a buffer strip was delivered this afternoon.
    The goal of the buffer is to enhance the cover and provide a variety of food sources around the edge of the field so the wildlife eats less of the cash crop. So it is a food plot of sorts, but easier to justify :-)
    Red..You use "Egyptian wheat"it grows up to teen feet tall, we use it for cover around our food plots.

    Leave a comment:


  • Treestand
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Since I lost the "Pecan Grove", I've got two spots to work with.
    One will have a wheat pasture in place, the other is a spot on the edge of another wheat pasture.
    I've got to get time to go down there first! About a 60 mile roundtrip!
    Ones never knows! keep playing Lotto;-))

    Leave a comment:


  • Treestand
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    We just finished Tilling all the food plots, our growing season is in August for our Mid ~ September Bow season. We put bump feeders out on the Fire Road to keep the Hogs out of the food plots.
    Crack Corn to fit through the 1.1/4"Holes better and the Turkeys feed off it also.

    Leave a comment:


  • fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    We just finished Tilling all the food plots, our growing season is in August for our Mid ~ September Bow season. We put bump feeders out on the Fire Road to keep the Hogs out of the food plots.
    What do you use in the feeders?

    Leave a comment:


  • FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Since I lost the "Pecan Grove", I've got two spots to work with.
    One will have a wheat pasture in place, the other is a spot on the edge of another wheat pasture.
    I've got to get time to go down there first! About a 60 mile roundtrip!
    Yeah, I knew it was going to be tentative at best.
    The landowner was old and in poor health. He had heart surgery in the spring of '17 and claimed he hadn't felt that good in years.
    During the summer he passed away.
    Heirs immediately moved the house renters out and made the guy renting the pasture move his cattle out.
    We had a contract, but they never contacted us, so we continued to hunt.
    Our contract was up 12/17 anyway. The heirs are so flighty, we didn't even try.
    They live out of state and have no interest in the property. It's on the market.
    Sure wish I had $250K laying around! LOL!
    If I had THAT much laying around, I would already have a "place".

    Leave a comment:


  • fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
    Been scouting every chance I get. That’s about as much prep as I can do down here other than shooting practice
    That’s as good of a plan as any. I don’t scout much as I mainly hunt my place. Cameras keep me up on what’s around but things usually change when the season opens and the bachelor groups split up.

    Leave a comment:


  • fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by rockhound View Post
    Sowed 1/1/2 acre of soybeans and sunflower mixed. Will add gain sorghum to the plot this weekend. The beans and flowers are already at the 2 leaf stage.
    Haven’t tried soybeans as I’m not sure how they’d do here, but what little bit of sunflowers I’ve planted have been hammered.

    Leave a comment:


  • fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Picked up a 360 Chrysler engine for my cabin cruiser a couple of weeks ago and need to pull the shot 318 out before salmon start to run. Right now I'm finishing up remodelling an old bedroom into showroom for my daughter's taxidermy business. An awful job! Three layers of wallpaper plus a couple of paint in between to peel off before I can put up new stuff and wainscoting. The main wall is barn board and already done. It will provide a darker background to make the mounts stand out more. Also helps absorb shadows from the spot lights. The other walls will be same wallpaper as adjacent living room (see attached image). Because the wall separating them is not supporting, I will eventually tear it out when Jessie's business gets established and moved elsewhere. Eliminating tht wall will double the size of my tiny living room. So I'm now putting up the same wallpaper/wainscoting motif the showroom to minimize remodelling in the future. Anyway, I'm very tied up for a while. Contemplating buying an O/U since I seem to be shooting a borrowed SKB very well at trap and clays. Not sure I need to kill more birds though. Having trouble getting the stuff from last year consumed. Some old folks at church may be getting care packages tomorrow morning.
    I forgot about the cruiser, how long has it been out of commission?
    Just get the O/U, if you use the thing there’s no other reason needed to have to justify it. The old guns served you well, no shame in giving them a break.

    Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

  • Reply to 40 year old rookie
    by Danbo
    I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
    Today, 01:19 PM
  • 40 year old rookie
    by Coach79
    Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
    Yesterday, 09:12 AM
  • Reply to Get Off Social Media
    by Danbo
    Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
    Today, 01:17 PM
  • Get Off Social Media
    by jhjimbo
    A talking head on MSMBC said people should "get off social media" . Now why would she feel people should get off social media ? I suspect...
    Yesterday, 04:10 PM
  • Reply to 40 year old rookie
    by DakotaMan
    Welcome aboard Coach. I've been hunting for a lifetime but I spend my retirement days helping others like you adopt the pastime and enjoy the outdoors....
    Today, 01:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X