Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone started food plots yet, or any other preparations for hunting this fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone started food plots yet, or any other preparations for hunting this fall?

I took the day off as the boy is done with school and my FIL is here. We cut up some maples that I’d cut late last fall for the deer to chew on, then limed and seeded a section of ground I’d previously tilled. After that I broke ground on a new section that I’ll turn over a couple more times for planting later this summer.
    Seems like a ways off, but summer flies by and it will be fall before you know it. Who else is getting ready?

I'll start this weekend if I get time. The seed I'd ordered for a buffer strip was delivered this afternoon.
    The goal of the buffer is to enhance the cover and provide a variety of food sources around the edge of the field so the wildlife eats less of the cash crop. So it is a food plot of sorts, but easier to justify :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
      I'll start this weekend if I get time. The seed I'd ordered for a buffer strip was delivered this afternoon.
      The goal of the buffer is to enhance the cover and provide a variety of food sources around the edge of the field so the wildlife eats less of the cash crop. So it is a food plot of sorts, but easier to justify :-)
      The ingredients of the mix: Egyptian wheat, sunflowers, watermelon blend, and remix. The remix being a combination of "oops" mixes, spills, busted bags, and mis- communication.

Comment

We did Green Patch Plus in one, one of clover and oats and another of oats and sunflowers. Will do some winter peas later, maybe something else as well.
        Have a bunch of leftover garden seed that might get mixed in just because it’s getting old.

Comment

We just finished Tilling all the food plots, our growing season is in August for our Mid ~ September Bow season. We put bump feeders out on the Fire Road to keep the Hogs out of the food plots.

Comment

I am going to cut shooting lanes with a walk behind brush cutter. Field brush is about as high as an average deer so time to knock it down.

Comment

Since I lost the "Pecan Grove", I've got two spots to work with.
              One will have a wheat pasture in place, the other is a spot on the edge of another wheat pasture.
              I've got to get time to go down there first! About a 60 mile roundtrip!

Comment

You're gonna have the deer spoiled with a buffet like that!

Comment

I just finished planting four acres of iron and clay peas---got rained on as I was finishing the last row. Now, three days later, they are already sprouting. I still have two more plots to plant, but we have had so much rain that, even though I can easily get the tractor and implements to the plots, I won't be able to get back up the slippery hills. That won't work.

The only mowing I'm doing is purely cosmetic along the main roads since anything I cut now will be right back in a couple of weeks. I won't be planting my winter plots until October, or maybe even early November, depending on rainfall. Summer gets here early and stays late in SW AL. Fawns won't drop until August.

Comment

Picked up a 360 Chrysler engine for my cabin cruiser a couple of weeks ago and need to pull the shot 318 out before salmon start to run. Right now I'm finishing up remodelling an old bedroom into showroom for my daughter's taxidermy business. An awful job! Three layers of wallpaper plus a couple of paint in between to peel off before I can put up new stuff and wainscoting. The main wall is barn board and already done. It will provide a darker background to make the mounts stand out more. Also helps absorb shadows from the spot lights. The other walls will be same wallpaper as adjacent living room (see attached image). Because the wall separating them is not supporting, I will eventually tear it out when Jessie's business gets established and moved elsewhere. Eliminating tht wall will double the size of my tiny living room. So I'm now putting up the same wallpaper/wainscoting motif the showroom to minimize remodelling in the future. Anyway, I'm very tied up for a while. Contemplating buying an O/U since I seem to be shooting a borrowed SKB very well at trap and clays. Not sure I need to kill more birds though. Having trouble getting the stuff from last year consumed. Some old folks at church may be getting care packages tomorrow morning.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fitch, are you still coming up this summer?

Comment

Sowed 1/1/2 acre of soybeans and sunflower mixed. Will add gain sorghum to the plot this weekend. The beans and flowers are already at the 2 leaf stage.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                          I just finished planting four acres of iron and clay peas---got rained on as I was finishing the last row. Now, three days later, they are already sprouting. I still have two more plots to plant, but we have had so much rain that, even though I can easily get the tractor and implements to the plots, I won't be able to get back up the slippery hills. That won't work.

The only mowing I'm doing is purely cosmetic along the main roads since anything I cut now will be right back in a couple of weeks. I won't be planting my winter plots until October, or maybe even early November, depending on rainfall. Summer gets here early and stays late in SW AL. Fawns won't drop until August.
                          We tried our hand with Iron & Clay Peas ---They do come up fast and the deer eat them just as fast before they sprout, Don't know any one who had any luck with them. Much luck to you Country!! Weir sticking with Alfalfa & Red Clover.

Comment

Been scouting every chance I get. That’s about as much prep as I can do down here other than shooting practice

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                              Fitch, are you still coming up this summer?
                              Still planning on it at this point, looks to be the end of August but I’m not sure of the exact dates just yet. Will let you know. Thunder Bay only adds about an hour or so to the trip and is about 2/3’s the way there so staying there for a layover would be a better idea with only two drivers this time. Had 5 drivers plus the boy last trip.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad