Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on hunting some whitetails over a small food plot with a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on hunting some whitetails over a small food plot with a bow?

Bow hunting

Use surveyor flags to mark off various distances in your food plot.
    You won't have to range a deer before you shoot.
    I used to step off various ranges and use sticks, rocks or whatever I could lay my hands on to mark the range.
    Whatever tree stand you feel comfortable in or even a roomy pop-up for concealment.
    The rest is just sit and wait.
    Whatever broadhead you select, use a field tip of the same weight for practice ... and practice often!
    IF you can afford that many arrows, I'd have a practice set and a hunting set.
    Good luck.
    Let us know how you do.

Comment

Make sure you are on the downwind side of the plot. Good hunting.

Comment

I dont mean this as an answer but thanks that sounds like a good trick.

Comment

I've had very little success still hunting for deer, especially if you are talking whitetails. They are just to keen with their senses and will always spot or hear you first. You don't need to set up a ground blind in advance, just find a good bush to stand behind where you think they will pass through. Then draw when you are crouched and stand up slowly. Or only draw when their heads are down or looking away.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf
          Last edited by adomanim1; 09-30-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I have used natural cover (weeds) along a fence line over a wheat field combined with a decoy for my first archery whitetail kill. Picking a spot based on wind is crucial. With this set-up I was sitting looking through the weed. When the buck came to the decoy (focused on the decoy) I went to a double-kneeling position (slowly) and shot him at about 20 yards. Sounded like I smacked him as hard as I could with a 2x6 when the broad-head hit

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad