First rifle for deer/bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First rifle for deer/bear

I want to save up my money and give it to my mom so she can buy a rifle for me is that legal in virginia?
    I am 14 and recoil doesnt bother me too much

Check with your state laws but as far as I can see by looking at Virginia law you may have your mother purchase a long gun(rifle) so that you may hunt with it. Virginia game law appears to read you must be accompanied by an adult holding a valid Virginia hunting license until your 16 years of age. It would not be a straw purchase because it would be her firearm. You may have it transferred into your name at the age of 18. Also if you are hunting in Virginia I would recommend the 243 win or the 7mm 08. The 7mm 08 is an excellent choice and will handle anything you will ever encounter in your state.

Comment

Well, it's her rifle and she's just letting you "borrow" it, so it should be perfectly legal. Seriously though, this should be a private transaction that you shouldn't speak of. Edit your posts to say that your MOM is looking for advice on buying a rifle and you are her primary input. *wink wink

Comment

30-30 would be a good gun, you can find tons of used Marlin 336s for very low prices. I know you say recoil doesn't bother you, but if you're young and you're shooting a big gun, it'll probably start to bother you and cause you to flinch before the shot. A 30-06 is considered the upper limit of recoil for most people, but if you can handle that it's good for just about any animal. I would recommend looking harder into a 308, 270, 7mm-08, or 25-06. For deer a 243 would even work great, but some consider it too light for bears. How much are you trying to save up? Being 14 I'm gonna guess you're using odd jobs and such so probably looking at lower priced guns? I'll have to recommend the Mossberg Patriot with the Vortex scope combo. The Ruger American and Savage Axis seem to be the most popular budget rifles. Savage has a lot of other rifles that don't cost too much and will outshoot most others. Look at used guns too as you can often get better quality guns for lower prices.

Comment

It's a hand-me-down (Right) from Gramps !!

Comment

No doubt in my mind. I'd highly suggest a 25-06 in the rifle of your choice. Recoil bothers everybody and is one of the biggest reasons people miss deer. They don't think recoil bothers them but it does and they flinch or jerk the trigger. This is important because regardless of the cartridge, hitting deer and bear in the right spot is the ONLY thing that counts. Every center fire cartridge from .223 to .416 Rigby will kill them cleanly if you hit the right spot.

The 25-06 is fast and flat shooting with impact similar to a .270 but it has very low recoil, supporting better practice sessions and limited flinching on the part of the shooter. It has more power than you need for these animals but it shoots 75g bullets that are great for target practice and varmints. It will allow you to shoot deer as far as 500 yards and beyond if you ever need to as long as you, your scope and your rifle are accurate. It is a rifle you can shoot your whole life and yet it is one of the easiest with which to learn at a young age because of its light recoil.

The 100g Hornady Interlock is all you need in a bullet. There are those who think you need a big bullet but this one will penetrate over five feet through these animals and hit with shocking force like few other cartridges.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
              30-30 would be a good gun, you can find tons of used Marlin 336s for very low prices. I know you say recoil doesn't bother you, but if you're young and you're shooting a big gun, it'll probably start to bother you and cause you to flinch before the shot. A 30-06 is considered the upper limit of recoil for most people, but if you can handle that it's good for just about any animal. I would recommend looking harder into a 308, 270, 7mm-08, or 25-06. For deer a 243 would even work great, but some consider it too light for bears. How much are you trying to save up? Being 14 I'm gonna guess you're using odd jobs and such so probably looking at lower priced guns? I'll have to recommend the Mossberg Patriot with the Vortex scope combo. The Ruger American and Savage Axis seem to be the most popular budget rifles. Savage has a lot of other rifles that don't cost too much and will outshoot most others. Look at used guns too as you can often get better quality guns for lower prices.
              I highly discourage the 30-30, there are much better choices.

Comment

I'm 13 and I have a 243 for missouri deer and an ithaca deerslayer model 37 12 gauge for illinois deer. the problem your facing is to buy one also for bear I'm planning to buy a 300 win mag but for you I'd say 30-30 or 270 or 30-06 if you hit a bear right you will have no problem with a 30-30 but that might be small un some cases for some people but I would go with 270 or 30-06 personally a 270 for me I think they shoot falter and I would suggest hornady shells or winchester power max hallow point with those I can knock down a deer a 100 yards with my 243.
                I would go with a 270 or maybe a 280 if you can still even buy those

Comment

I'm 13 and I have a 243 for missouri deer and an ithaca deerslayer model 37 12 gauge for illinois deer. the problem your facing is to buy one also for bear I'm planning to buy a 300 win mag but for you I'd say 30-30 or 270 or 30-06 if you hit a bear right you will have no problem with a 30-30 but that might be small un some cases for some people but I would go with 270 or 30-06 personally a 270 for me I think they shoot falter and I would suggest hornady shells or winchester power max hallow point with those I can knock down a deer a 100 yards with my 243.
                  I would go with a 270 or maybe a 280 if you can still even buy those

Comment

I would save a bit on the rifle and spend it on glass. My personal favorite value is the Savage 10 or 11, but most any of the ~$500-$700 guns on the market would serve you Tutuapp 9apps Showbox well (Rem 700, Tikka T3, Weatherby Vanguard, etc.).
                    Last edited by adomanim1; 01-09-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I know this is an old thread. My suggestion for anyone currently in the OP's situation: Get a bolt-action in 6.5 Creedmoor with threaded barrel. Top it with one of the Nikon scopes currently on clearance. You'll be set for life to drop anything east of the Mississippi.
                      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Interesting, I was given guns as a kid.
                        They were not borrowed.
                        They were mine.
                        Gifting was legal, within family.
                        I don't know what the laws are now, esp since dems have lost their minds and come up with extra stupid stuff.

Seriously, if a kid isn't responsible enough to own a gun, they sure as hell aint responsible enough to use one.

"Borrow" is nonsense.

BTW, bear and deer under 150 yards...........soft shooter............35 rem.

Comment

I started my Grandson on a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I loaded him reduced loads when he was 12 and 13. When he turned 14 I loaded regular loads. I loaded 125 grain Nosler ballistic tips in both loads. The last big buck he killed was at 405 yards. My son-in-law ranged the deer and asked him if he realized how far that was. He said no problem Pop Pop loaded my shells ran them on the ballistic calculator and put the print out on my box of shells and I have it memorized. On the shot the buck hit the dirt. That same year he killed a doe at 325. The full load I load for him and my Son is a compressed load of WW748.

Comment

I started hunting fifty-five years ago at age 12 with the same gun I still use today: 30-06 US Army Springfield made circa 1944 but remodelled by my dad circa 1962 (see attached photo). Started out shooting 180 gr. It has killed a ton of elk, deer, and moose ... and this year several African animals. I was by no means a big kid at age twelve but I could carry and shoot this gun no problem. A fourteen year-old certainly should be able to handle a man's gun. A .308 or 30-06 with reasonable heft shooting 165-180 gr bullets would be fine for deer, black bear, or even elk/moose. Easy to find good used ones on the shelf and easy to find lots of ammo choices. A versatile gun good for a lifetime. I oughta know.

Comment

We recently were talking about 45-70 vs. .444 and Marlin lever guns. Here is an interesting article with video and compares the two bullets. BTW, the 240gr in the video looks like a pistol bullet - I would not recommend for big game. You can even buy a 'quiet' Marlin now.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/lever-gun-adventure/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad