Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For big game hunting (elk, deer, moose) would a 270, 308, or 30-06 be better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Huber
    replied
    Dropped plenty of deer with my Remington 700 .308 and one elk. I did jump up to a 338-06 for Africa - dropped six species with it and then another 2 with a 30-06. If you told me I could only have one, I'd go with the 308, but acknowledge that's largely driven by having sent more rounds down range with it, dropped deer in some quick decision moments and am comfortable off handing an apple at 200 yards with it; can't say I've got that comfort with the others . . . yet :-) Pick one and practice, practice, practice in as real of a shooting situation as you can find.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Sparkman
    replied
    The reality is all 3 will do for non dangerous game. I consider Brown Bear dangerous, and possible bull moose during the rut. I prefer a 30 cal for bullet weight on bigger game but with todays bullet tech I don't think penetration is going to be an issue with either. I get kinda stumped when I see comments on how an 06 is better than an 08 because it can handle heavier bullets up to 220 grains. That would have mattered a little say 30-40 years ago when someone was more likely to use cup and core bullets on 1500 lb animals, but most knowledgeable hunters are using bonded cores, partitions, and similar. The need for anything heavier in 30 cal than say 180, simply isn't necessary. Given that, the 08 and 06 have at most 100-150 fps separating them, so I say if its between those two, go with either one, elk, moose, deer, black bear isn't going to know the difference. With the 270, there are countless success stories, its quite capable, I wouldn't hesitate to pop moose with it using the right bullets. I have owned a 270, 300 Weatherby, 3030, 308. My "opinion" is: given recoil, practicality, rifle weight, killing power etc, the 308 had the advantage, I found the weatherby to have no advantage because most hunters aren't accurate enough at very long range to take advantage of what it offers over the 308 and 3006, up close there is no advantage. Substitute an 06 for it if you like, it really is just personal preference at that point.

Leave a comment:

• Capt1340
    replied
    If you will go for deer also then i would go for the 308...that does all...but for moose 30-06 is very popular in my area....both are easy to find all kinds of bullets u like ...my first rifle was a 308 savage lever action (very nice) about 30 years ago . since a few year i hunt moose with 7 mm rem mag for long shot, and 30-30 for deer..

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanExile
    replied
    You can't lose with any of these calibers. Find a rifle you like. If I were truly pressed, I would say the 30-06, just because it has 110 years of use, there are endless sources of ammo, lots of cheap surplus ammo to practice with, ammo in lots of choices for hunting. You can't lose.
    AKX

Leave a comment:

replied
    I would split it between 30-06 or 308 and spend a lot of time practicing i've never been a big fan of the 270.

Leave a comment:

• DeerSlayer001
    replied
    Any of them will work for deer. But the .30/06 is no doubt the most versatile one of the three. If you are smart about what loads you are using it will get it done. I have used the 3006 for all of my deer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    30-06 is the best of these three for your requirements. It is a very flexible cartridge and you don't have to shoot moose loads all the time so you can temper the load to your specific recoil tolerances. You can shoot small 125g to 150g bullets for deer, the 168g Barnes for deer, elk and even moose. The 180g and above are there if you need them for moose and elk. When I first started hunting, I feared the recoil of the 30-06 but later discovered that it could be shot at the same recoil level of the .308 if desired. I even shoot varmints with mine now using 110g bullets with light recoil. It is a flexible cartridge indeed but with the most power for your specific needs. After shooting all these for the last many years, I regard the .270 as the nastiest recoiler using heavy loads. It just seems like a real fast shot to the shoulder to me but they can all be reloaded for your needs and recoil tolerances if desired.
    Never shot a .270 that didn't kick like a pissed off mule. I've got one '06 I would shoot off my nose, the other seems to kick a little harder. The lightest one (Remington 700 ADL), seems to be the lightest kicker. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• any270willdo
    replied
    i believe in the kiss program.
    keep it simple stupid. it works for me. first thing to do is pick the weight of a bullet u want to shoot. then pick a cartridge to put behind it. i shoot to kill an animal humanely (sp?) with little meat damage. the best bullets for 264 are 140, 270 150, 7mm 160, .308 180-200. the best cartridges are the 308, WSM, 30'06, 300 Win Mag. i prefer the 270 bullet. have gone to 270 WSM in 6.2 lb Kimber rifle. shoot 150 bullets. only shoot hunting bullets. 150 Nozler Partition, 150 Fusion. going to try 150 nozler accubond LR to see how they perform.
    don't get to shoot a lot of ammo. animals seem to go down w 1 shot with the 270.
    love the 6.2 lb Kimber in 270 WSM. has a long range w low recoil. love long shots. dropped a moose at 400 yds+.
    the 30 caliber has more bullet weights available than any other caliber. in between the lines this translates into the 30 caliber shoots more bullets poorly than any other caliber.
    the guys that complain about the 270 don't own one. i own a 30'06 and 300 Win Mag.
    all my guns are inside a quarter at 100 yds. the 30 caliber does too much meat damage for me and doesn't have the penetration(sp?)
    270 w 150 gr Nozler Partition or 150 Fusion works on lung shots or shoulder shots at close range or long range w minimal meat damage.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Steve in Virginia
    replied
    I own and use rifles chambered in .308 and .270 the most, but if I had to have only one for the game animals you mentioned, 30-06 is probably the most versatile choice. You have a wide range of ammunition options to choose from, and can probably find a box of shells if you need one in any gun store on the globe.

Leave a comment:

• tmike51
    replied
    As already stated many a time, shot placement will be your key. All three can handle big game. My personal favorite is a .308. I absolutly love mine. It is fast hard hitting and can easily drop anything well past 300 yards. I would even trust it on big bears(not that it would be my go to though).

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Ralph
    replied
    Well it's almost unanimous, the 30-06 is the most versatile cartridge made and the most powerful of the three you mentioned. If you only have one rifle to hunt big game with it should be a 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    .270 with proper bullet selection there isn't anything in North American that it can't handle and handle very well. Except for maybe very large brown bears. I would look at what I would be using the rifle for most. If it was deer hunting then, I wouldn't worry about 220 grain slugs. But as far as bullet selection and available ammo I would .308 had a slight edge as far as availability. Bulk saving for practice ammo. I'm no fan of the 30-06 or the 308 nothing against them I just personally prefer the .270. They would all serve you equally well I think. What I would do is look the best deal on a quality rifle. Go ahead and get a nice one no sense in paying twice because you will probably want to upgrade. It comes with territory.

Leave a comment:

• Dougfir
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    When You added Moose~30-06.
    It's funny that so many people commented on moose sealing the deal for the .30-06. I know many people who consider elk to be tougher to kill than moose. I haven't shot enough of either to have an opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Dougfir
    replied
    Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    30-06 is the best of these three for your requirements. It is a very flexible cartridge and you don't have to shoot moose loads all the time so you can temper the load to your specific recoil tolerances. You can shoot small 125g to 150g bullets for deer, the 168g Barnes for deer, elk and even moose. The 180g and above are there if you need them for moose and elk. When I first started hunting, I feared the recoil of the 30-06 but later discovered that it could be shot at the same recoil level of the .308 if desired. I even shoot varmints with mine now using 110g bullets with light recoil. It is a flexible cartridge indeed but with the most power for your specific needs. After shooting all these for the last many years, I regard the .270 as the nastiest recoiler using heavy loads. It just seems like a real fast shot to the shoulder to me but they can all be reloaded for your needs and recoil tolerances if desired.
    I agree that the .270 seems worse than the foot pounds would have you believe.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    30-06, no question. They'd all do the job with perfect shot placement, but the 06 gives you a little more leeway in shot selection, and offers more margin for error.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad