Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am taking you elk hunting. You do not have a rifle. I hand you a Howa 270 short mag. What is your reaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcarlin
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    WOW! Sorry guys! Guess I'm a bit selfish. I don't mind taking you hunting and I'll loan you gear....EXCEPT a rifle!
    It's my OFS I guess! I don't loan guns.
    If someone were offering to loan me a rifle, I suppose I'd say, "Wow! Nice rifle! I really appreciate it, but no thank you!"
    "Let me see what I can come up with on my own. If I'm not successful, we'll talk again."
    Let me P.S. this.
    Even if H. Myles invited me on his Alaskan moose hunt, I'd have to decline!
    As much as I admire and respect Mr. Myles, I couldn't enjoy a hunt in which I had NO investment. If the trip were as a traveling companion where I stayed in camp or maybe help retrieve game, I would consider the invite to enjoy H. Myles company, the remote camp life and the general beauty of a wild place like Alaska.
    I don't intentionally damage my guns, and I'll make an effort to keep them in shape.
    However, the .22 bolt that came out of the safe last night for predator duty looks like was kicked down the driveway..
    It's a tool. Poor maintenance is inexcusable, but hard use is expected.

Leave a comment:

• Srbyam
    replied
    All depend on if I have time in my life to go and I would like to use my own rifle

Leave a comment:

• PAShooter
    replied
    With the right bullet and glass, the gun will do the job.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    I'd get my weatherby vanguard in .270 out of the case say ok now I'm ready lets go.

Leave a comment:

• Nyflyangler
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    Let's find out!
    First time I went hunting back in junior high my friend loaned me a combo over/under in 12 gauge and .222. Unfortunately the ammo they picked up at the gun shop was .222 Magnum.

Suffice it to say, it's really interesting trying to get a break action to close on a magnum cartridge in a standard chamber in the middle of a dark Vermont night just before daybreak. Good times.

Leave a comment:

• DanielM
    replied
    "Thanks. Let's get this sighted in and go."

It wouldn't be the first time I've hunted with a borrowed rifle, or loaned one to someone else.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    What Mr. buckshottoo said, pretty much word for word
    Thanks dewman! Must be a MI thing

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    WOW! Sorry guys! Guess I'm a bit selfish. I don't mind taking you hunting and I'll loan you gear....EXCEPT a rifle!
    If someone were offering to loan me a rifle, I suppose I'd say, "Wow! Nice rifle! I really appreciate it, but no thank you!"
    "Let me see what I can come up with on my own. If I'm not successful, we'll talk again."
    Let me P.S. this.
    As much as I admire and respect Mr. Myles, I couldn't enjoy a hunt in which I had NO investment. If the trip were as a traveling companion where I stayed in camp or maybe help retrieve game, I would consider the invite to enjoy H. Myles company, the remote camp life and the general beauty of a wild place like Alaska.
    Short of using them for a jack handle or a boat paddle, I'll subject my guns to whatever purpose I deem necessary.
    My biggest concern with a "loaner" is that in the heat of the moment, I'll forget the gun isn't mine! LOL!
    ...and yes, a couple of times, I've been loaned a gun for an impromptu hunt. I was a nervous wreck the entire time!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Let me P.S. this.
    We had an extemporaneous bear hunt in the Adirondacks one afternoon and I was provided a Winchester 71 in .348 with 5 shells to use. My friend made me take off my ring before handing me the rifle and he said, don't waste the shells. He (a guide) got us on some bears but ran out of light before anyone could get a shot.
    I loaned a friend a 12ga JC Higgins shotgun and it did not go well. He borrowed some slugs from my Sister who shots a 16ga. Yep, it went off. Luckily no damage or injury other than a badly fouled barrel and some pride.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Let me P.S. this.

Leave a comment:

• ADeaver
    replied
    What kind of scope is on this here HOWA?

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I would say, Thank You...But No Thanks. I have not the Time nor the inclination to Hunt Elk, I'm not in the best of shape. But thank you again for the offer.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I would thank him excitedly and suggest we find someone who has actually hunted elk to go with us. Then break in a good pair of shoes and get in shape. Also go to the range and practice shooting, with that caliber you will need to.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Thanks, lets go get one.

Leave a comment:

• Breckenridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    I say "thank you" (beggars can't be choosers), and "let's go sight it in so that I know I can hit where I need to for elk with a friend nice enough to take me hunting and lend me a gun; afterwards 1st round's on me. "

Now you as the one taking a person hunting and lending a gun, observe your friend's shooting and help them thru max acceptable yards shot placement etc.

Great Theoretical!
    Bingo

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad