Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you go big game hunting on the opening day of the season, if there were thunder, lightning and rain? Would you immediately leave the woods, if all three listed above, rolled in while in your tree stand or stalking game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• va-gobbler
    replied
    Originally posted by DEER30 View Post
    I have been through many storms and inclement weather events while hunting and few of them ever sent me home. I waited out a severe T-storm last year by climbing down and back up the tree again after the lightning cleared (killed a big doe once back in the tree).
    The only time weather sent me home was when snow storms moved in and dropped higher amounts than expected during an evening hunt. No need to risk an over night stay in the mountains without shelter and a foot of snow or more coming down.

I love hunting immediately after a hard rain (especially in early season) or during these types of weather events. It gets the deer up and moving.
    If a storm pops up, I'll usually ride it out. I keep a set of those cheapo Coleman PVC rain clothes in the pack just in case..Usually can only get 1 or 2 uses before they are ripped to shreds but they weigh nothing, cheap, and don't take up a lot of pack space. I don't get too worked up about the rain and thunder, but when the wind blows big limbs down, I get concerned!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Absolutely. I've nearly been blown out of a tree stand in 50 mph winds while dodging 4" limbs flying through the timber. Rain will never stop me (I have good rain gear) and my feeling about lightening is that when your number is up, it is UP. My wife has been hit by lightening (and live) but I never have.

Leave a comment:

• Boone609
    replied
    Rain and thunder I'll do from a tree stand, but lighting, I'm out.

Leave a comment:

• DeerSlayer001
    replied
    I wouldn't start hunting in that but if it popped up while in a treestand I might leave. Last opening day for rifle the weather was fine in the morning but then started to rain hard around 2. It wasn't lighting but the rain was heavy and nothing was moving. I got down and walked around a little and decided to just bail.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    I have been through many storms and inclement weather events while hunting and few of them ever sent me home. I waited out a severe T-storm last year by climbing down and back up the tree again after the lightning cleared (killed a big doe once back in the tree).
    The only time weather sent me home was when snow storms moved in and dropped higher amounts than expected during an evening hunt. No need to risk an over night stay in the mountains without shelter and a foot of snow or more coming down.

I love hunting immediately after a hard rain (especially in early season) or during these types of weather events. It gets the deer up and moving.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I have experienced storms of heroic proportions all over the world, so try to take them in stride, with a few exceptions. If caught in a bad lightening storm while on horseback above timberline, I try to get off mountain tops or ridge lines ASAP. Have visions of leaving no evidence except, four smoking horse shoes.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I don't leave the woods and I usually ride it out until the bad weather is over!

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    I don't know if I considered all the angles here.
    I would certainly tell my wife I was going. Probably drive out too, or at least to camp if one was in the plan.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Lol..In Florida that happens all the time. I would head to my box blind, drink a sweet-tea and watch a movie on my I-Phone and keep looking out the windows. The old saying. If you don't like the weather in Fla. wait 15 minutes!

Leave a comment:

• small game sportsman
    replied
    It would depend on the situation. I have left camp with all three before. It was not the most comfortable situation, but it all comes down to how bad you want the deer.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I hunt predominantly "box" blinds! Yup! I'd be out there!
    I've killed several deer and turkeys in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I probably would not start out in a storm but have been caught out in one lots of times.
    One I remember we were paddling the Au Sable River from Grayling, Michigan and got caught. We went about 30 miles in a Thunder/Lightening storm. I think the storm was moving along with us. Could not stop and get out because we would have been under trees and did not want that.

Twice I have been close to lightening: once was on a lake in the Finger Lakes, N.Y. We were about 1/2 mile from shore, stationary.
    A bolt of lightening hit the water about 25' behind the boat. Started the motor and raced for an empty boat house - didn't even take time to pull the lines in until we got to cover.

The second was driving in the high speed lane, 60mph, next to a grass median. Window down and my arm out a bolt struck the grass right next to me. Singed the hair on my arm and I could not hear for several minutes. BANG!
    I'm not an expert on this, but I thought the big issue was being, or being under, the tallest object within some distance (I've heard 45 to 90 or so feet). Being under a bunch of trees, not a single free standing specimen, seems preferable to being on the water to me.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, just throwing it out there.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    As others have said, I would not head out during a thunderstorm, but if I am already out there, I would probably ride out, esp. if I am sitting snug in my pop-up blind.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Yup. I don't hunt from a tree when it is but, I have been there done that. If the storm isn't too bad, it doesn't seem to bother the deer at all.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I probably would not start out in a storm but have been caught out in one lots of times.
    One I remember we were paddling the Au Sable River from Grayling, Michigan and got caught. We went about 30 miles in a Thunder/Lightening storm. I think the storm was moving along with us. Could not stop and get out because we would have been under trees and did not want that.

Twice I have been close to lightening: once was on a lake in the Finger Lakes, N.Y. We were about 1/2 mile from shore, stationary.
    A bolt of lightening hit the water about 25' behind the boat. Started the motor and raced for an empty boat house - didn't even take time to pull the lines in until we got to cover.

The second was driving in the high speed lane, 60mph, next to a grass median. Window down and my arm out a bolt struck the grass right next to me. Singed the hair on my arm and I could not hear for several minutes. BANG!
    That's a fun trip!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad