Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wondering what kind of bullets should i load if i want to hunt moose with a .30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wondering what kind of bullets should i load if i want to hunt moose with a .30-06

I'm wondering what kind of bullets should i load if i want to hunt moose with a .30-06

180 grains.

Comment

I think overall the 180 gr. would be your best bet. Better penetration if you have to take a slightly chancy shot.

Comment

i would go 180 grain, but have bullet with great retention strength. Do not go cheap. Barnes Triple-shot X bullet is a good one. About $40 a box for Federal though. i am not sure for just the bullets. But well worth it if they get you your Moose.
        Good luck and Good Shooting!!

Comment

If you dont reload use a Winchester Super X Silver Tips this is the bullet with the alloy tip should cost about $25 a box if you do reload go with the 180 Nosler Partion.

Comment

I like the 180gr Nosler Partion my self but have used the "silver tips" and loved them too.
            Federal makes a pretty good round called "fusion" as well.
            Over all I'd say any "quality" round in a 180gr. and you should be fine. Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

I'd use Hornady Light Magnum Interbonds in 180 gr.

Comment

I used Hornady 225 Soft Points in my 338 Win Mag never had a problem and the best moose kill on the biggest Winkle was a 17ish year old with a 30-06 shooting Remington 180 grain Core-Lokt®.

ken.mcloud said it best!

“So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”

Comment

I have used fushion, they do a heck of a lot of damage, explode on impact. Not sure of the penetration on heavy skinned animals. Very accurate.

Comment

I went moose chasing my first time this last fall. Everyone in our camp(5) had 30 cals of some sort and all used 180s, including me, my 30-06 being the only throw back. The camp got three moose, reluctantly can't report on my CoreLokt Ultras.

Comment

I would use a 180gr Nosler Accubond or Partition, a Barnes TSX, or Swift A-Frame. I think any of those four would do just fine. Let us know what you choose...for your hunt

Comment

The 180 grains will be sufficient!

Comment

The 180 grains will be sufficient!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad