Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best gun and caliber/gauge for wild boar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best gun and caliber/gauge for wild boar?

What is the best gun and caliber/gauge for wild boar?

Depends, shooting from the ground or a tree?

Comment

Work with what you got, unless you plan to make a purchase.

If you're buying I'd go for something with the biggest heaviest fastest round you're comfortable shooting, with an action that will allow for a quick follow up shot.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        I prefer the .30-06 in a rifle, with 150-grain bullets. For a shotgun, I would choose a 12-gauge pump gun using Brenneke slugs.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          Sorry, Jimbo.
          I meant this to be a separate answer and not a comment on yours.

Comment

Every time you ask a "best for something" question, no one is gonna give you the best answer for you. You're gonna get the best answer for the answerer because the person who answers you has gained some experience with different things and has figured out what works for himself. To find the best caliber for you, you'll have to accumulate some experience with different calibers to figure which is best for you. The answers others provide are great answers and recommendations but they're not the "best" necessarily.
            Now some calibers that are good/great for the task at hand are the 30-06, 7mm-08 Remington, the .308 Winchester, 45-70, 30-30, .270 Winchester, 8mms Mauser, 7x57 Mauser, .35 Whelen, .35 Remington, and the .358 Winchester. And for shotguns, the 12 gauge with slugs is pretty much the way to go. Some of these rounds are better than others for different situations, but they're all pretty good.

Comment

FWIW I've shot some hundreds, using everything from .22 Hornet to .45/70 and 9.3x74R. The .22 Hornet is definitely not something I'd recommend - it just happened to be in my hands when a good boar popped up while I was after rabbits. Something like .243 would be a reasonable minimum I think, for the general run of pigs, though I've shot a few medium-sized pigs with a 5.6x50R (like a hotter version of the .223) using a good bullet.

When you step up to something like 7mm or bigger you do have a better margin on big boars. The .30/06 works very well - one day for example I took 21 with 22 rounds fired (one was dropped from full gallop but needed a finisher). Similar rounds like .308, 7x57 etc work just as well. Bigger rounds do too of course, but I don't think they kill any deader.

For shotguns a 12ga would be the best, simply because it throws a heavier slug or charge of buckshot. Buckshot (00) works very well in really thick cover, but has a short effective range (maybe 30 yards), while slugs extend that out to maybe 100 in a gun with sights. I've used buckshot far more than slugs, but only for heavy cover, otherwise I'd prefer a rifle. You can of course have both though, with a combination or drilling.

Attached Files

Comment

If you are shooting from a tree at baited hogs anything will work that you can shoot accurately. A .22 LR shot under the ear will drop them but I'd certainly recommend something larger. You need to consider big boars to be dangerous game though because they will charge on occasion attempting to kill you. Therefore, if you hunt from the ground you need something with enough energy to stop a charge. A 12 gauge slug does the job quite well as will something the size of a .308 or larger.

I have witnessed a 300 pound plus boar stopping a .357 bullet from about 15 yards with no penetration and no visible effect with the heavy leather shield on the front of their chest. A hog hunting guide that I know and trust from southern Georgia says he has seen them stop a .270 130g bullet the same way and I believe him.

I grew up on a farm and raised pigs, some of the boars going 400 pounds or more. So when I first began hog hunting, I thought anything would work and didn't consider a pig to be dangerous. I quickly realized that feral Russian boars are much more like a wounded lion than they are like a farm pig. You are better off being safe than sorry. In the Georgia woods, we see boars in the 300-400 pound range pretty commonly and they should be considered dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                  If you are shooting from a tree at baited hogs anything will work that you can shoot accurately. A .22 LR shot under the ear will drop them but I'd certainly recommend something larger. You need to consider big boars to be dangerous game though because they will charge on occasion attempting to kill you. Therefore, if you hunt from the ground you need something with enough energy to stop a charge. A 12 gauge slug does the job quite well as will something the size of a .308 or larger.

I have witnessed a 300 pound plus boar stopping a .357 bullet from about 15 yards with no penetration and no visible effect with the heavy leather shield on the front of their chest. A hog hunting guide that I know and trust from southern Georgia says he has seen them stop a .270 130g bullet the same way and I believe him.

I grew up on a farm and raised pigs, some of the boars going 400 pounds or more. So when I first began hog hunting, I thought anything would work and didn't consider a pig to be dangerous. I quickly realized that feral Russian boars are much more like a wounded lion than they are like a farm pig. You are better off being safe than sorry. In the Georgia woods, we see boars in the 300-400 pound range pretty commonly and they should be considered dangerous.
                  Great Post DM, the first time I heard of people hunting boars, I thought the same thing, but then I watched some dangerous game hunts and saw a guy show up with a .375 H&H mag. They're a lot tougher than I had thought.

Comment

I'd go with a .308 caliber (.30-06. .308 Win. .300 WM etc.) to be well above the min. size and any action that you can effectively/comfortably work for follow-up shots.

Comment

I would think that any 12 gauge shotgun with a choke and chamber large enough to handle magnum shells would be a fine choice. As far as shotguns and hogs go Id like to see a hog that could stop a nice 3 inch Brenneke Black Magic slug.

Comment

Most of the time I hunt from a ladder stand set up in a swampy area, longest shot 50 yards. I want to make sure the hog goes down and stays down so I don't have to track it back in the swamp. Sometimes I will hunt open fields up to 200 yards. I am sure most of us know hogs don't bleed like deer so tracking can be difficult. I use a 30-06 shooting Federal Vital Shock. I have had only 1 pig not go down instantly, found within 30 yards. I shot 1 boar that weighed close to 400 pounds and it did not move a foot. 30-06 might be too much but I don't have to track and it works for both short and long ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by thompsonjt View Post
                          Most of the time I hunt from a ladder stand set up in a swampy area, longest shot 50 yards. I want to make sure the hog goes down and stays down so I don't have to track it back in the swamp. Sometimes I will hunt open fields up to 200 yards. I am sure most of us know hogs don't bleed like deer so tracking can be difficult. I use a 30-06 shooting Federal Vital Shock. I have had only 1 pig not go down instantly, found within 30 yards. I shot 1 boar that weighed close to 400 pounds and it did not move a foot. 30-06 might be too much but I don't have to track and it works for both short and long ranges.
                          Great hunting ethics - lazy hunters use big calibre, I will remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by WillyNoels View Post
                            I would think that any 12 gauge shotgun with a choke and chamber large enough to handle magnum shells would be a fine choice. As far as shotguns and hogs go Id like to see a hog that could stop a nice 3 inch Brenneke Black Magic slug.
                            I thought the same thing until I talked with experienced hog hunters. The 12 guage slugs are too slow for good penetration and kill power. I was disappointed to learn I need to buy a more powerful rifle for a fun, successful hunt. Well, actually, I'm looking forward to adding another rifle to the collection...

Comment

Wild Hogs are very dangerous and tough to kill instantly in one single shot.
                              For long range hunting, I recommend
                              Benelli R1 .338 Win. Mag. Rifle
                              The long range scope for best optical view and accuracy to be
                              IOR- VALDATA : 12-52x56 40mm TERMINATOR TACTICAL SFP MOA/MOA, XTREME X1 ILLUM RETICLE

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X