Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your closest call to a bad experience while hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your closest call to a bad experience while hunting?

what is your closest call to a bad experience while hunting?

When I was bow hunting in a climber and the climber gave way and fell about 20 feet to the ground. Just move to the next tree then later change my shorts!!!!!! LOL

Comment

should be " and change my shorts" LOL

Comment

Had a NYS trooper called on us for "shooting from the road, though we were more than 400 yards from the road. The lady whose property we were hunting next to didn't like hunters. Anyway the land owner also got called. So my friend and I were standing on the side of the road talking to the owner with a muzzleloader that was unloaded. The trooper showed up walked around the truck saw the gun and freaked out. He drew his weapon and started screaming. I thought I was going to be shot by one of NY's finest. We ended up not getting any tickets but two wounded deer were still in the woods and the lady would not let us go get then because they ran on her property.

Comment

Not a life threatening event, but did freak me out a bit. After I shot my first turkey, I ran out to get it and grabbed it by the leg. It then proceeded to flap and twist. When I get back to my blind, I noticed that my hand hurt pretty bad and when I took my glove off I found that the spur had gone through my glove, into the area between my first and middle finger and completely split the area open to the point I could see down into my hand. Took two trips to the emergency room (after the first doc just glued it and it got infected). Funny part was that the nurse said that was the second injury just like that she had seen that week. Scars are like tattoos but with better stories.

Comment

Nearly stepped on a 5 ft Eastern Diamonback while hunting in Florida's Ocala National Forest back in about 1966.

Comment

That's Diamondback.

Comment

Hearing shotgun slugs clacking thru trees overhead while hunting in the southern tier of New York State.

Comment

Negligent discharge by a shooting companion behind me came too close to parting my hair. Haven't hunted with him since.

Comment

We were hunting rabbits. It was a snowy day and I cut some fresh tracks heading out into a field. We followed them and they went right under a bale of hay. I picked up the bale while two friends stood close by. The rabbit tore out right between us. One guy's 12 ga went off and kicked up the snow way too close to my toes. We called it a day after that.

Comment

Deflected bullets from a lost hunter trying to signal someone that went whizzing past my dad and me as we were sitting on the ground overlooking the swamp the person was wandering around in.

Comment

Negligent brother in-law who wanted to get in on the great duck hunting my brothers and I were having. I made him promise not to load the loaner double barrel 12ga until we were in the blind. As we were getting our guns out of the trunk in the dark, he slipped a couple of shells in the chambers and pulled both triggers simultaneously to see if the safety was on. It wasn't! Both barrels were about a foot from my head and aimed just about between my left ear and my head. One of them shaved hair off the side of my head but not a BB broke skin. Knocked me out for about five minutes and it seems I was so dizzy and disoriented for about 15 minutes that I just couldn't control my hands enough to choke him. A VERY CLOSE call! He said he never thought about the direction of the barrels and assumed it would be on safe. I have always been careful with novices but you have to watch them like a HAWK.

Comment

I had another one... I was stomping an 8 foot tall weed patch flushing pheasants. As I got about five yards from the end, a cottontail jumped and ran out in front of me straight for my brother who was blocking about 20 yards out in a cut bean field. The rabbit saw him, threw on the brakes and cut back into the weed patch running full blast right between my legs. I looked up into the barrel of my brother's 12 guage. To my surprise it went off, I recall seeing weeds fly and the blast from his full choke 4 magnums hit me right in the chest. It felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a baseball bat on a homerun swing. It picked me up off my feet and knocked me on my back. I thought I was done for for sure. I couldn't breath (lungs collapsed). I put my hand on my chest and it felt like ground bones (fortunately time would show it was just a lot of #4 BBs stuck in my sweat shirt). I held my hand up to look and it was glistening with that bright red blood you see in lung shots. I thought I was a goner. I kept gasping and then suddenly one lung inflated... then the other and I could breath again. Come to find out, my jacket and sweat shirts had stopped all the BBs except for one stray. That one went clean throuh my neck and poked a hole in an artery that was spashing blood on my chest. I was fine after all but it scared my brother real bad and it took him weeks to get over it.

Comment

For decades we have had a sort of feud with the neighboring land owner about driving rights and property lines and so forth. Well one year it got a little out of hand and the ladder to my grandfathers tree stand was partially sawn through. Not all the way through, as in an attempt to destroy the stand, but half way through as in an attempt to have it break while he was climbing and to injure him. Thankfully my grandfather is the kind of observant person who notices that sort of thing, had he not, it could have been very bad.

Comment

1982, I was having a bad year for hunting. Another morning shot, no deer seen from sunrise to noon. I got hungry and walked in uphill to the road and as my head got up enough to see the downside of the ridge another hunter on the opposite side in his tree stand had his rifle pointing right at my chest. Lucky for me he was an ethical hunter. I gave him a wave and double timed out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad