Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your not going to eat it , why would you shoot a animal? isnt it like throughing a sucker punch at someone that didnt expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your not going to eat it , why would you shoot a animal? isnt it like throughing a sucker punch at someone that didnt expect

If your not going to eat it , why would you shoot a animal? isnt it like throughing a sucker punch at someone that didnt expect it and saying your tough because you kicked there butt?

With the exception to the bobcat that I shot, and all the coyotes, I eat EVERYTHING that God has granted/allowed me to harvest.

Comment

Jamus,There are many reasons why animals are shot. The first is the obvious one and that is for food. The second are the trophy hunters and I have many friends that are willing to spend countless hours and countless dollars pursuing that particular trophy animal. There are hunters that hunt certain game for their living. There are hunters that shoot rodents to keep them from destroying land and domestic stock and there are hunters that simply hunt for the trill of being in the great outdoors. You can never say that any of these groups of hunters are wrong to pursue wildlife in their chosen manner, it is personal choice. The taking of game and varmint animals under rules of various game departments is ultimately the best way for most species to survive. But I think I know what your getting at, there are some hunting styles that just don't seem to fit in with the way that you perceive hunting to be. I caution you not to judge others but to follow your own instincts and develop your own standards for this most wonderful of natures pursuits. Good hunting!

Comment

For most animals that is true. For some rodents and pests, they are hunted for control of them. I eat everything i shoot but most of the pests (i eat rabbits which are pests around here), i dont. I do eat deer, squirrel, and turkey.

Comment

i dont know i ike to hunt the animal but i wuldnt hunt an animal unless iused the meat and fur

Comment

First off, be VERY careful of this "We hunters need to stick together", "Don't judge other hunters" mindset. I have seen other hunters do some horribly unethical things to both nature and their fellow hunters. I don't need to "stick together" with them! This assumption that since another hunter does it, then it is morally acceptable needs to be thrown out the window.

The fact that your father taught you how to hunt does not make you a morally perfect being, incapable of doing wrong.

That being said, this question really comes down to your to your ethics and your belief systems. The question of whether something is right or wrong can't be answered by science, it needs to be answered by your own moral compass.

Comment

the most common justification for killing an animal and then just letting it rot is "population control". This concept has two roots. First, this insane notion that nature somehow needs us to "control" it (as if it didn't get along just fine for the 4.5 billion years before we showed up) and second, the instinctive human fear of predators.

For most of our evolutionary history, we were small mammals without big claws or sharp teeth, this made us ideal prey items for large predators. In order to avoid becoming dinner we evolved a built in fear of predators, hard wired into the deepest parts of our brain.

Once we developed the technology, this fear, along with social pressures led us to active exterminate (i.e. shoot them and let them rot) almost all the large predators in the continental US. This is often called "Predator control" and is again rooted in this crazy idea that nature somehow needs cull her predators for her.

Without predators, the prey populations, prairie dogs for example, have exploded. They can tear up huge tracts of land and when they are so densely populated disease and starvation are very serious and real problems. This same thing happens with other species like whitetail deer. So, in order to prevent suffering, you almost have to cull these prey populations since you have exterminated all of the predators.

This doesn't actually answer the question, but it might help you point your moral compass a little better than "We hunters have to stick together"

Comment

libertyfirst-

As for trophy hunting, When I go deer hunting, I am always looking for the biggest buck in the area, always trying to challenge myself to find that old, wise, elusive monster. I guess I would call that "trophy" hunting, but I have every intention of eating all that delicious venison after I shoot him.

Do your friends actually seek out and shoot "trophy" animals and then just let the carcass rot?

How does one possibly justify this ethically? It is one thing to ask an animal to lay down its life so that I can feed my family. It would seem to me that it is an entirely different thing for it to lay down its life only so that I can brag to my friends at the yacht club?

Comment

you ask a good question i shoot and trap woodchucks for our niebors that are undermining the foundation of there barn and eating the plants in there garden i don't eat them but i do use there meat for coyote and fox bait though i might add that even if i didn't i think i could still justfiy killing them because of the damage they do. if i shoot an animal and i don't need the meat i give it to some who does, often times i will go out with my buddys and shoot pigens out of there silos as well as strarlings and other birds we don't eat them (although we do feed them to the barn cats) but we kill them for three reasons 1. becuse we don't want them craping all over the corn in the silos 2.the poupulion gets to be to many and 3.for sport so we do HAVE A REASON we can't eat EVERYTHING we hunt but we try to use them in some way

Comment

if the animal is destroying property then i say hunt it. but if you are going into their territory killing tham and letting them sit there and rot theres a problem. that is not hunting but senseless killing. you are not making a living or providing food for your family

Comment

Good to see people getting into my ? Im not busting chops i grew up in a hunting house.I only ask because i see pics with some animals that to me i would rather let go then to shoot and put up on a wall.If im not going to eat it, then im not going to shoot it? And let me say theres nothing like dear meat from a crock pot!!!

Comment

Great point there, but in some cases you kill animals in self-defence or to put the animal down; like a very old dog for example.

Comment

I do shoot an occassional pest/rodent that does harm to my house and/or property and bury them in the garden. I don't feel great about it, but i feel i'm justified.

Comment

First of all, almost all hunters trophy hunt. There isn' many of us that go into the woods and dream of a fork walking in front of us. We dream of the 14 pt. in my opinion all game animals are trophies in their own right. Whether it is a doe or 180 class. They both eat well. My nerves go on both doe and bucks. The day I feel numb when I shoot something is the day I quit. Not everything that is hunted is eaten. But there has to be a reason why it needs to be killed instead of just for fun. Take tracking deer for example, how far does everbody follow. I follow until it is impossible for me to continue. I have witnessed too many people not. I have kicked a couple people out of my deer camp for that very reason. Their story was, it did not go down so I must not have hit it. I do not tolerate that. It all comes down to ethics and we do need to stick together, but we also need to weed out the bad. I have found dead deer on public lands during hunting seasons with the antlers cut off and the rest of the deer just sitting there rotting. At least donate it somewhere. Good Hunting!!

Comment

i shoot deer and i eat it. i've shot pheasant and dove and ate it. i shoot turkey and i don't personally eat it. but my family does. i really don't much like turkey. but others in the family do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                                Today, 11:19 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                                Today, 11:12 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by rock rat
                                Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                                Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X